Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 23:15   #2866
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Can you give me directions to this place? I don't seem to find it on Zomato. Does it taste like Paradise Biryani?
Have been to Hyd but not to Paradise, so no idea whether it tastes like Paradise Biryani. Chances are it won't taste like Paradise at all considering how well-known Paradise in Hyd is compared to this little-known restaurant.

I got the name wrong, it is called Hyderabad Deccan Paradise. Its been a while since I have been to this restaurant, so I am not sure how it is now. I usually order delivery a few times a year. Even though the place looks good, I hardly found any people there as most order delivery.

Their biryani is the best I have had in Bangalore by far. Bear in mind that this is highly subjective since I do not like spicy stuff. Theirs is dum biryani that is not very spicy and I especially like their mutton kheema biryani which is somewhat of an acquired taste. Their chicken kebabs are also good. A family pack is enough for 5 people.

Finding it is a little difficult. When you come from Ejipura towards Lifestyle, you need to take a left turn after the temple towards a hotel (forgot the name) and this restaurant serves that hotel from the ground floor. The turn is a dead-end only for the hotel and you can see some cars parked there.

I have enclosed the flyer that came a few days ago. I am planning to try their haleem this weekend but I am not entirely sure if the Koramangala branch serves it or whether I have to go all the way to Frazer town.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-photo0120.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-photo0123.jpg  

Old 12th July 2013, 14:41   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Punjab Grill by Jiggs Kalra, opp Forum Mall, Koramangala.
Thanks a lot!
Also, where would you get authentic Punjabi Cuisine? Like the food and atmosphere in Angeethi on Museum Road. I'm talking about gravies and naans etc..
I'll be going on a food fest after Ramadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
In addition to Waseem's reccomendation I would also reccomend Aangan(its a family run place)at Koramangala and Central street(if it still exists there)It has been my favourite since my college days in the 90s.
I do remember Aangan in Central Street.
Had been there many years back.
No idea if it's still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
Do consider 'Punjabi by Nature', its diagonally opposite Forum Mall (Koramangala) while on the Christ college side. The menu is not as detailed as some other restaurants, but the food is quiet good.

PS: Do note that their Naans are massive. A single one should be sufficient for 2 persons easily
Thanks for the suggestion
Old 12th July 2013, 15:03   #2868
BHPian

B.T.M Layout:

Shanthi Sagar (Udupi Garden) is a pretty decent hotel for veg food.

Udupi Krishna Sagar (Run by the Udupi garden hotel management), behind Shoppers Stop (bannerghatta Road) is a nice veg hotel.
Old 14th July 2013, 15:02   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
There is a new chettinad place - junior ponnaiya. It's quite popular in Coimbatore and Erode. Located opposite China Pearl. Clean fast and vfm. Like their egg dosas and "parottas" as we call them.

Thanks for the list though.. Quite a few of them to check out !
Just came back from Junior Kuppana. Love at first sight! Very clean. Reasonable price. And the food was really excellent. Next time I plan to go on an empty stomach and check out the meals.

I go through that road many times a month and I was really surprised that I hadn't noticed it even once. Thanks a lot, sbkumar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
It is Junior Kuppana i think you got the name wrong .
You are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Yep. My bad ! Thanks. Also I think Anjappar the other chettinad place was also missing from the list.. They have a branch opened on 100 ft road Indiranagar recently.
Oops. Never went to Anjappar. How does it compare to Junior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Went to Punjab Grill (Opp Forum Mall) yesterday with 20 other coworkers. Opted for the package of 1499 each with unlimited selected cocktail and mocktail. Below are the observations:

* The seating arrangement was pathetic.
* The waiters were not at all interested in serving food.
* Not even a single dish came on time and we had to remind them many a times to get something on the plate.
* Anything outside the regular menu came within no time.
* They kept wine bottles on the table and were hesitant to tell the prices even after asking.
* They did not even serve the main course and people left the place with frustration. Just imagine they came up with one small pot of Biriyani to serve 22 people. When some one lost patience, one of the waiter came up with a bowl of white rice.

* Final bill was a whopping 72K INR. None of us would ever visit there.

Conclusion- Pathetic place. Avoid.
Thanks for your review.

Last time when I went to the Black Pearl on a week day, there were a bunch of corporate teams there. The ambiance is a lot of fun with the whole place looking like a ship or a cave and waiters dressed up as pirates. No, its not really for kids and it helps to loosen up adults. Their non-veg buffet is Rs. 600 or thereabouts with unlimited mock-tails (the blue-berry one is really good), unlimited appetizers and main course. The cuisine is North Indian. We loaded up on the appetizers (fish kabab, etc.), most of which were straight from the tandoor. Really didn't have much of the main course as I was full by then.

Not sure if will fit your bill if you are looking for gourmet North Indian cuisine though.
Old 14th July 2013, 20:47   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Just came back from Junior Kuppana. Love at first sight! Very clean. Reasonable price. And the food was really excellent. Next time I plan to go on an empty stomach and check out the meals.
IIRC, at Anjappar's, you also get other meats (the japanese quail, rabbit, shark) and a liquor menu which you don't at Kuppanna's.

Comparing only the biryanis, I liked Kuppanna's better.
Old 15th July 2013, 00:26   #2871
BHPian

I am a big fan of Ambur star Briyani. Love the way biryani tastes here served with unique eggplant tamarind based gravy and equally good onion raita. I am also a regular at their BTM layout outlet and make it a point that every time i drive between Bangalore and Chennai, i stop by Ambur to relish the original star biryani which is leagues ahead when you compare it with their Bangalore outlets.

With the same impression in mind, we visited their HSR layout outlet which recently opened. We ordered some hot chicken winglets, hot & sour chicken soup and their flagship recipe chicken biryani. TERRIBLE is the word. except hot chicken winglets, everything else we ordered tasted awful. Hot and sour chicken soup had too much pepper added and tasted weird. Chicken biryani was very bland with no signs of any spice, eggplant tamarind gravy was horribly bitter and the worst part, the onion raita was not only bland without any salt but big pieces of onions were dumped in to it.

I was extremely disappointed with the dining experience. I must admit Ambur Star Briyani is a Brand in entire TN and Bangalore, but these guys in HSR layout are hell bent to spoil the reputation. We wanted to complain about the quality of food to the manager, but seeing the careless attitude of manager busy speaking on the phone in spite of the fact that we were standing in front of him for 5 minutes, we decided to walk away and immediately thought of writing review here.

So guys in Bangalore and especially for those staying in and around HSR layout, i will have to say just one word - Beware. you would not want to spoil your evenings or lunch time by eating some horrible food out there! Just stay away. Its not just a review but an alert. Period
Old 15th July 2013, 10:33   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
I have enclosed the flyer that came a few days ago. I am planning to try their haleem this weekend but I am not entirely sure if the Koramangala branch serves it or whether I have to go all the way to Frazer town.
OK guys, I got the haleem yesterday. Firstly, the location of this restaurant has changed. It has moved to less swanky surroundings near the Shilton Hotel a few blocks away from the previous location on the right side of the road.

Now back to the haleem, they are selling the Pista House brand (apparently a well-known brand from Hyderabad) shown in the flyer. Bristling with excitement, I opened the container to see something that looked very similar to grease and which to me tasted no less different than how I would expect grease to taste. There was also some black pepper and pieces of bone in the mix.

I have had haleem only once before and that was at the Taj Krishna in Hyderabad. I still have fond memories of that dish. So what gives? I am thoroughly confused.
Old 15th July 2013, 14:08   #2873
BHPian

Quote:

Anjappar vs Junior kupanna in my opinion is similar to Ooty of today vs Ooty of 1990s ( that's how far I can remember). In short, the loss in the quality of experience ( sometimes real and sometimes perceived) when you try and commercialize too much of something. It's really spicy/hot (even for someone like me who doesn't mind it being spicy) when compared to Junior Kupanna which seems to have just the right amount. Definitely worth trying though.
Old 15th July 2013, 14:36   #2874
Senior - BHPian

Yes Junior Kuppanna is better compared to Anjappar. Just came back from Jr. Kuppanna after finishing lunch.

Liked the simple, spacious ambience than the Anjappar's bar like environment

According to my friends from Tamil Nadu - Food tasted more authentic than the Neutral/commercial version of Anjappar

Last edited by Latheesh : 15th July 2013 at 14:37.
Old 15th July 2013, 18:14   #2875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have had haleem only once before and that was at the Taj Krishna in Hyderabad. I still have fond memories of that dish. So what gives? I am thoroughly confused.
I have heard that Haleem is available at Total mall on Marathahalli - KR puram ORR. Not sure about the quality, rate and detail. Iam planning of checking it out next weekend. Will update you then. This is supposed to be Paradise haleem from Hyderabad.
Old 15th July 2013, 18:22   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I have heard that Haleem is available at Total mall on Marathahalli - KR puram ORR. Not sure about the quality, rate and detail. Iam planning of checking it out next weekend. Will update you then. This is supposed to be Paradise haleem from Hyderabad.
Pista House Haleem is also available at Auchan, Bannergatta road. Saw the banner this morning itself.
Old 15th July 2013, 18:57   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manojgautham View Post
Pista House Haleem is also available at Auchan, Bannergatta road. Saw the banner this morning itself.
If you really want the Pista House Haleem,then you can order it and Gati delivers it fresh daily.I have been ordering it for people around the country every Ramzan and delivery so far has been prompt and the dish has been fresh till date.The only flip side to the delivery is that you need to order a minimum of 1kg,if youhave a couple of people to share it works out perfect.

http://www.gaticonnect.com/categorie...U00110241.aspx
Old 15th July 2013, 19:17   #2878
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried Miller's 46 on Cunningham Road near Cantt. station (one of my old haunts) over the weekend.

Happy to say that they are as great as ever both on the service and food authenticity angle!

One of the old Bangalore restaurants who don't need the paid promos which feature on the ToI Bangalore Times. They probably care two hoots; I admire that.
Old 21st July 2013, 00:15   #2879
Distinguished - BHPian

For those in Bangalore who wants to have Hyderabad Pista house haleem it is available next to HDFC bank Ejipura (Opp Oasis mall, lifestyle). Seems it is available in following total malls also
Madiwala
Kempfort
Sarjapur
Kr puram- Mahadevapura
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:17   #2880
BHPian

Quote:
For those in Bangalore who wants to have Hyderabad Pista house haleem it is available next to HDFC bank Ejipura (Opp Oasis mall, lifestyle). Seems it is available in following total malls also
Madiwala
Kempfort
Sarjapur
Kr puram- Mahadevapura
Also available on Mosque Road next to the AirTel office.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks