Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3474-guide-eating-out-bangalore-201.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasoo (Post 3315735)
... Heard it is expensive and quality is average. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 3315739)
... I really wish Segafredo would land in India! ...

No self-respecting South Indian brought up on coffee at home should go to Starbucks. Starbucks sources coffee beans from India, but the end result is completely different.

Starbucks makes coffee as palatable to *most* Americans, which is like (please don't flame me) tea in South India. Nothing wrong with it, but it is just not the same. There are many in US who abhor Starbucks coffee, despite the convenience and omni-presence.

Segafredo has roots in Italy - they serve coffee the way it is served in Europe - Germany, Italy, France, Spain etc. They use South American coffee beans, and hence the flavor profile is different. Stand in a Starbucks, and then in a Segafredo - and one can make out the difference in aroma.

I hated the starbucks in USA. Avoided it completely. I loved Peets coffee in California the most.

I tried the Starbucks in Mumbai (Powai) and it was pretty decent coffee. Starbucks will have a tough time in South India. With the umpteen coffee shops and famous filter Kaapi they are nothing but another coffee shop.

The worse cofee by far is CCD. The coffee is just useless there. In comparison Lavazza was pretty decent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by procrj (Post 3315412)
If you live around whitefield, try the Kamat on the hoodi - graphite India road.
Tastes good and totally worth it :thumbs up

I was not aware of a Kamat in Hoodi area. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriturl (Post 3316231)
I was not aware of a Kamat in Hoodi area. Thanks.

IMHO, Kamat in Hoodi is one of the top 10 worst restaurants in Bangalore.

Yesterday, I happened to be visiting some place very close to the Starbucks outlet, and decided to give it a try. I've had their coffee in the past during my travels and did not find it to be extraordinary.
There were some samples being given which I happily obliged to try. Went ahead and ordered for a Caramel Macchiato and a lemon jazz cheesecake. While ordering, it was kind of interesting and nice to be called by my first name rather than the usual Sir, or Mister :thumbs up
The cheesecake looked very yummy from the display counter, but I was not happy when I noticed that the slice which was served to me wasn't cut properly (see the pic). What are they, some local bakery? I expect better from Starbucks.
While the coffee was a clear disappointment, the cheesecake dint impress either. There lemon flavor was too overpowering. Total damage was 360 bucks, definitely on the expensive side. Was it worth it? Sadly no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3316194)
No self-respecting South Indian brought up on coffee at home should go to Starbucks. Starbucks sources coffee beans from India, but the end result is completely different.

Starbucks makes coffee as palatable to *most* Americans, which is like (please don't flame me) tea in South India. Nothing wrong with it, but it is just not the same. There are many in US who abhor Starbucks coffee, despite the convenience and omni-presence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3316204)
I hated the starbucks in USA. Avoided it completely. I loved Peets coffee in California the most.

Strong words there. I believe I am a self respecting South Indian but I love Starbucks and other joints such as Costa, Hudsons, Gloria Jeans, Seattles Best (now owned by Starbucks), Caribou, Illy, Nero, Tim Hortons etc. Just wanted to know how they are doing here since they are sourcing coffee from within India and might have done some adaptations to the expectations here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasoo (Post 3316303)
... they are sourcing coffee from within India and might have done some adaptations to the expectations here.

They have always been sourcing from India, not just when they are opening up in India. Unfortunately coffee is not very amenable to "adaptation", so they will always be "swill water" as my US friends put it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerAlte (Post 3316194)
Segafredo has roots in Italy - they serve coffee the way it is served in Europe - Germany, Italy, France, Spain etc. They use South American coffee beans, and hence the flavor profile is different. Stand in a Starbucks, and then in a Segafredo - and one can make out the difference in aroma.

I like the way the Italians make their coffee. Yes, the flavour there at Segafredo is totally a world apart. I quite like Caffe Nero too.

I like South Indian Coffee too, but it is a bit too extra rich for my taste nowadays, because of the high milk component, so I tend to water it down a bit.

If you are a big fan of Pure Hot Chocolate like I am, then you should definitely try the one at Cafe Max. The cafe is located on the terrace of the Goethe Institute, Max Muller Bhavan, on CMH Road. Of course the food they serve (euro/German) is very good too! :thumbs up

Any reviews on AB(absolute barbecue) at Marathalli; barbecue factory at Koramangala; Mainland China at KalyanNagar ORR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr (Post 3318419)
Any reviews on AB(absolute barbecue) at Marathalli; barbecue factory at Koramangala; Mainland China at KalyanNagar ORR.

I have been to barbeque factory multiple times and I have always preferred that over the BBQ nation in Indiranagar. It is both value for money and tastier. No idea of the other two you mentioned.

On the issue of coffee...personally I feel that coffee is pathetic most of the times here in US. One of the main reasons being , they dont use Chicory which gives the coffee the body. I avoid starbucks , peets , Seattle's best and brew my coffee myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr (Post 3318419)

Log on to Zomato and check. You have a whole lot of information about the places with reviews from the customers.

Visited "Aangan" in Outer Ring Ring close to Ecospace campus. I and a couple of friends went there for lunch. Total damage on the pocket was 680 bucks. Food was pretty tasty too:thumbs up

Anyone tried Bhel Puri in A2b (Adyar Anand Bhavan)? It tastes different from Behl Puri one gets in other shops. Both I and wifey felt that it's the best Bhel Puri we have had till now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazda4life (Post 3318454)
On the issue of coffee...personally I feel that coffee is pathetic most of the times here in US. One of the main reasons being , they dont use Chicory which gives the coffee the body. I avoid starbucks , peets , Seattle's best and brew my coffee myself.

I think the coffee discussion probably should continue in the wonderful thread below: :)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...coffee-21.html