Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 14:29   #3016
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Any reviews on AB(absolute barbecue) at Marathalli; barbecue factory at Koramangala; Mainland China at KalyanNagar ORR.
Have read some very positive reviews on Facebook for Absolute BBQ in Marathalli. I want to try it once.

Mainland China at kalyan nagar - I did not like it. Had been to their buffet lunch couple of weeks back from work & food was bad. The starters - chicken, wontons etc - was pathetic. I felt it was not really worth the money - Rs 599 + tax which was paid for the quality of the food dished out.
Old 14th December 2013, 07:49   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Starbucks (and other joints from U.S.) typically roast the beans a little too much IMO. But still, I quite like their Pike Place® Roast.

Coming to local coffee, nothing in Bangalore can beat the Maiya's coffee. It's the best coffee in Bangalore by far. For coffee lovers, just order 'strong' . Rs. 18 well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, any recommendations on where to get good Jolada rotti oota in bangalore?
Nalapaka in Rajajinagar 1st block (near Navarang) is closest to authentic Rotti oota. Don't bother trying Kamats. They are just not worth it. Am from North Karnataka, so I know.

Apart from that, I hear there is a place near Sapna book stall, more specifically near that Jain temple. I do not remember the name. But I hear that place is even more authentic.
Old 16th December 2013, 17:53   #3018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Starbucks (and other joints from U.S.) typically roast the beans a little too much..

Coming to local coffee, nothing in Bangalore can beat the Maiya's coffee. It's the best coffee in Bangalore by far. For coffee lovers, just order 'strong' . Rs. 18 well spent.
Fully agree, I feel any darshini coffee beats the likes of ccd or Starbucks anytime. The aroma, the steel tumbler, the fresh coffee feeling can't be beaten by any brewer.

I did visit Starbucks koramangala, the coffee taste was not up to the mark(ccd lot better IMHO) ,it was too crowded and limited menu. I'm skeptical about how they might survive in the long run unless they change strategy.
Old 16th December 2013, 18:16   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from that, I hear there is a place near Sapna book stall, more specifically near that Jain temple. I do not remember the name. But I hear that place is even more authentic.
If you mean near Majestic, then its called Basant Residency. AWESOME north Karnataka meals. If you plan to go there for lunch, skip breakfast and make sure you are really hungry before you step in, you will enjoy to the fullest

Edit - Parking is a problem in that area, so plan accordingly.
Old 16th December 2013, 19:03   #3020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from that, I hear there is a place near Sapna book stall, more specifically near that Jain temple
Are you talking about Kamat yatri Nivas?? http://www.zomato.com/bangalore/kamat-hotel-majestic

And if anyone is interested in some good pasta and pizza in and around Whitefield, then do visit Pizza stop on Varthur road (near shell petrol pump) http://www.zoma.to/ykkrP

Last edited by procrj : 16th December 2013 at 19:27. Reason: added additional info
Old 16th December 2013, 23:35   #3021
BHPian

Since yesterday was my anniversary, me and my family (wife and kid) and another couple decided to go out for lunch to this restaurant named "Blimey! " on 1 MG Road (4th Floor).

This was because this place was rated quite high on zomato (i had never visited this place before). The experience with Blimey was so bad that i made a mental note to post this on Tbhp so that no Bhpian gets suckered by this 'cheap disco masquerading as a hifi restaurant' again.

I shall post a detail review in zomato / burrp shortly but for the Bhpians summing up what i think of this place.

Terribly loud music on a Sunday noon (the volume is almost as if you are on the discotheque dance floor on a saturday night) . The music is unrelenting and the restaurant management cannot/does not do anything about it as it runs a party place / disco above the restaurant.

Couldnt care less attitude of the staff and Average food which is overpriced.
Old 16th December 2013, 23:55   #3022
Team-BHP Support

Anyone know of a good South Indian restaurant that serves Dosa? I need to take guys from the US there so can't really take them to Vidyarthi or CTR. It has to be dinner or lunch.

South Indies was a good option but I don't remember seeing a Dosa on the menu.
Old 17th December 2013, 00:02   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Anyone know of a good South Indian restaurant that serves Dosa? I need to take guys from the US there so can't really take them to Vidyarthi or CTR. It has to be dinner or lunch. South Indies was a good option but I don't remember seeing a Dosa on the menu.
How about some of the darshni's which has sitting arrangements, example there is the famous SLV in jayanagar which has sitting options and the dosas are just awesome. Even other items such as idly vadas are simply mind blowing.

Last edited by mazda4life : 17th December 2013 at 00:03.
Old 17th December 2013, 01:52   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone know of a good South Indian restaurant that serves Dosa? I need to take guys from the US there so can't really take them to Vidyarthi or CTR. It has to be dinner or lunch.

Why don't you take them to Hotel Konark on Residency Road. The dosas are decent. I've seen quite a few foreigners eating at this place.
Old 17th December 2013, 07:16   #3025
BHPian

Quote:

How about A2B. I know there is one on CMH road and another one at Marathalli. And I think there is one somewhere in BTM layout as well. Karnataka style dosas have that red paste in them. This may scare US people off

Regards,
Old 17th December 2013, 07:30   #3026
BHPian

Any place in Bangalore that beats Meghana's in Hyderabadi Biryani? Their royal chicken is awesome too!
Old 17th December 2013, 08:23   #3027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone know of a good South Indian restaurant that serves Dosa? I need to take guys from the US there so can't really take them to Vidyarthi or CTR. It has to be dinner or lunch. South Indies was a good option but I don't remember seeing a Dosa on the menu.
Vid,why not Airlines?centrally located too.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:58   #3028
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
How about some of the darshni's which has sitting arrangements, example there is the famous SLV in jayanagar which has sitting options and the dosas are just awesome. Even other items such as idly vadas are simply mind blowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Why don't you take them to Hotel Konark on Residency Road. The dosas are decent. I've seen quite a few foreigners eating at this place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
How about A2B. I know there is one on CMH road and another one at Marathalli. And I think there is one somewhere in BTM layout as well. Karnataka style dosas have that red paste in them. This may scare US people off

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Vid,why not Airlines?centrally located too.
Thanks guys. These places are done over lunch quickly but I was looking at some place more formal for a dinner type of stuff where you can have a conversation.

Places like South Indies, Dakshin (Windsor Manor), Karavalli (Gateway). Dakshin and Karavalli are way over the budget but something like South Indies.

One option I have is Annapoorni in Indiranagar which is my usual haunt.
Old 17th December 2013, 09:38   #3029
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Vidyut - I would definitely recommend Ballal Residency - they have a restaurant called Palmgrove inside their campus just off Residency road. In fact they got the "Best Dosa" award as well sometime back.
The restaurant serves excellent north indian and south indian fare.
*just in case you need directions - take the cross road opposite the Hyundai showroom, it leads directly to Ballal campus (down on Brigade road, at Opera junction turn left, take immediate right turn).

Quote:
Thanks guys. These places are done over lunch quickly but I was looking at some place more formal for a dinner type of stuff where you can have a conversation.

Places like South Indies, Dakshin (Windsor Manor), Karavalli (Gateway). Dakshin and Karavalli are way over the budget but something like South Indies.
Ballal fits the bill, perfect I would think!

Last edited by NPV : 17th December 2013 at 09:43.
Old 17th December 2013, 09:43   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. These places are done over lunch quickly but I was looking at some place more formal for a dinner type of stuff where you can have a conversation. Places like South Indies, Dakshin (Windsor Manor), Karavalli (Gateway). Dakshin and Karavalli are way over the budget but something like South Indies. One option I have is Annapoorni in Indiranagar which is my usual haunt.
Vid,just remembered Kudla at the Ramanashree. Excellent Neer Dosa with any of the chicken or fish curries.

Last edited by bblost : 18th December 2013 at 22:54. Reason: Rule 11. Please check it up. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks