Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2013, 09:44   #3031
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Anyone know of a good South Indian restaurant that serves Dosa? I need to take guys from the US there so can't really take them to Vidyarthi or CTR. It has to be dinner or lunch.

South Indies was a good option but I don't remember seeing a Dosa on the menu.
How about woodlands or Ballal residency ?
Old 17th December 2013, 09:48   #3032
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. These places are done over lunch quickly but I was looking at some place more formal for a dinner type of stuff where you can have a conversation.

Places like South Indies, Dakshin (Windsor Manor), Karavalli (Gateway). Dakshin and Karavalli are way over the budget but something like South Indies.

One option I have is Annapoorni in Indiranagar which is my usual haunt.
Another decent place to go - E-Inn after Electronic City for a experience covering good food & conversation.
Old 17th December 2013, 10:03   #3033
BHPian

E-Inn now is called Sai Vishram,The food and the ambiance is very good and so is the price. Yes definitely u can have a good talk over the dinner .
Usually gone there for Buffet lunch.cant talk much about dinner though.
Old 7th January 2014, 20:19   #3034
BHPian

Guys, has anyone ever availed the GROUPON coupons for food deals?

I am interested in this:
http://www.groupon.co.in/deals/banga...ngaluru/434245

In general, wondering how good is the experience if we went on a deal coupon instead of full fare. Any difference in behavior by the restaurant folks?

In particular, has anyone used the above offer? Any feedback?
Old 8th January 2014, 12:35   #3035
BHPian

Hangla's, a takeaway/order out joint specializing in Calcutta style Awadhi Biriyani , rolls and kababs has opened about 4 months back on CMH road (diagonally opposite to the HDFC Bank branch, next to New Shanti Sagar), about 200 metres from the Indira nagar metro station if you are walking towards ulsoor. Tried this last week and cant stop ordering out, the biriyani ends my quest for the Calcutta style fare (aromatic, subtle and with an egg and potato) and the egg rolls are just right and doesnt cost the earth like what some of the other wannabes charge.

The kitchen occupies about 80% of the joint (and hence no seating inside) and is big for an outlet this size which tells me they are serious about what they dish out. The chain has its origins in Bombay, where a Bengali couple started the venture and has a sizeable presence there with some awards to boot. They have now made a foray into Bangy and Delhi.
Old 8th January 2014, 14:48   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hangla's, a takeaway/order out joint ...
I wish I had been there to try. I was on CMH Road last Saturday, looking for Babumoshai. Alas, they seem to have vanished into thin air. Anyone know where they have gone to?

Couple of weeks back I had visited the venerable Taj Hotel behind Russel Market in Shivaji Nagar. Alas, it is a pale shade of what it was earlier. Washed out flavors, miniscule quantities, apathetic service. Never will I go there again.
Old 8th January 2014, 16:22   #3037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone know of a good South Indian restaurant that serves Dosa? I need to take guys from the US there so can't really take them to Vidyarthi or CTR. It has to be dinner or lunch.

South Indies was a good option but I don't remember seeing a Dosa on the menu.
Bon South, Koramangala. I have been there once. They have buffet items originating from all 4 south states. I believe they have a live dosa counter as well. Nice ambience as well.
Old 8th January 2014, 23:14   #3038
BHPian

I visited Absolute Barbecue in Marathalli 2-3 times recently. Its a superb place. If you liked BBQ Nation, you will love this. Same menu, better ambiance and better experience overall.
Old 9th January 2014, 20:42   #3039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
I visited Absolute Barbecue in Marathalli 2-3 times recently. Its a superb place. If you liked BBQ Nation, you will love this. Same menu, better ambiance and better experience overall.
Is the cost as high as BBQ nation or its more reasonable?
Old 9th January 2014, 21:38   #3040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

Is the cost as high as BBQ nation or its more reasonable?
If you check - in before 7:30 pm, its much cheaper at Absolute BBQ. Normal prices are almost same but Absolute BBq offer better value.
Old 9th January 2014, 23:56   #3041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hangla's, a takeaway/order out joint specializing in Calcutta style Awadhi Biriyani , rolls and kababs has opened about 4 months back on CMH road

Tried this last week and cant stop ordering out, the biriyani ends my quest for the Calcutta style fare (aromatic, subtle and with an egg and potato) and the egg rolls are just right and doesnt cost the earth like what some of the other wannabes charge.
I tried the chicken and mutton keema rolls, the fish and chicken cutlets.
Verdict: The rolls tasted ok, but were VERY dry, they needed a lot of chuntey / ketchup to improve the texture.

The chicken cutlet was good, nice and spicy. The fish cutlet seems to have had more batter than fish on it. And it was too dry as well.

I should try the biryani next time, hopefully it would be a better choice.
Old 27th January 2014, 09:39   #3042
BHPian

Ten green bottles hanging on a wall

A decent English Breakfast –EB for short –is about as common as a dinosaur or hen’s teeth or any of those really rare things people often lament the passing of. Yup- RIP EB. If you ask me, it left our shores when the British packed their bags and their Royal Doulton crockery and went back to Blighty.
So, it comes as a pleasant surprise when – tired of the piffle masquerading as food and yearning for something that would have been at home in places with names ending in ‘shire’–you find it on a menu in a small-neat-cozy hideaway in a corner of Indiranagar. And not only is it on the menu but it’s drummed up by a chef who knows his onions. And his eggs. And bacon…sweet, poetic bacon.
Place your order, pick up a magazine…that’s if you’re not with company or in a business meeting, naturally (or they might think you’re rude, unless of course they are the sort of business meetings where you absolutely must read a mag or play Solitaire or risk dying of sheer boredom). That’s what the management of Give Me 5 indicates you aught to do (pick up a mag, NOT be rude!) and that’s what I did. Then, barely 5 pages into the hot new motorcycle launched by an Austrian manufacturer and my Roman brekker arrives. I know it said English on the menu but there was enough to feed a Roman Centurion who’d been starved for a week after the campaign in Macedonia had not gone well.
Veni vedi victuals!
If you want idlis/vadais, there are 3 million joints in Bangalore where you could find them. A Continental breakfast is another matter altogether.
As proof of that pudding, my eggs n bacon appeared in front of me as if conjured from a hat (‘twas actually eggs and sausages, but surely I’m allowed a little poetic license, aren’t I?). That’s E&B with buttered toast on the side (buttered because my arteries were exhibiting withdrawal symptoms for the stuff that clogs and one can’t have that, can one?). Seductively sautéed fine ripe…that’s plump-ripe and blushing-red…tomatoes with mushroom rounded off the platter nicely, while the mashed potato oozed molten cheese as though a tuberous Mt Vesuvius had spewed up its Dali-esque Mascarpone, offering up an innovation to ancient Roman Gods—an innovation that was headed lasciviously to the welcoming hips of yours truly!
Needless to say I wiped that platter clean, chomping my way through it with not a glance or syllable directed at my companion—such was the focus. Not a crumb of toast, a dab of egg or a smattering of gorgeous baked beans remained to vaguely hint that the now-gleaming china had minutes ago held enough to make a hungry Centurion beam from ear to ear. Bellissimo (that could mean ‘burp’ in Italian, but I can’t swear by it)!
Green bottles, Green Spirulina shots…
Green has always signified cool things like fertility and St Patrick’s Day...but I digress. From the soft glow of the 10 Green bottle-lamps hanging by the wall to its casual chic, Give Me 5 is the ‘other side’ where the grass was traditionally thought to be greener. Not only is it greener but in wheat germ guise the grass also tunes up your digestion. Yes- if you ever wanted a place to kick up your heels and do nothing. Or, if you went envious at all those blondes in the movies draped languidly over a sofa while immersed in a Grisham novel with tall, cool glass of something mysterious beside them…
the aura and the food and more can be yours at this ‘WiFi-green-teahouse’ …Indiranagar’s very own Jade Room. The only problem is you might find yourself slipping into Italian and thinking of other-worldly Roman conquests!
As for me, firm with the philosophy ‘for every fork in the road, grant me a spoon’…I intend to make a serious dent in the rather inviting looking carrot cake, on my next visit. Till then, arrivederci (bring your own Grisham and blonde, please- you certainly can’t have mine).
Rajeev Gonsalves

Last edited by netchef : 27th January 2014 at 09:41. Reason: Formatting
Old 27th January 2014, 13:40   #3043
Oxy
BHPian

Tried out Punjabi By Nature, diagonally opposite to Prestige Shantiniketan on ITPL road, next to where Big Bazaar once was.

No buffet option and grossly overpriced. A pure veg fare for 2 set me back by Rs.1800. All we ordered was 1 Naan, 2 Makkai ki Rotis, 1 Sarson ka Saag, 1 Paneer Makhni, 1 Blueberry Shake and 1 Mango Ginger Mint drink. The food was alright, nowhere near great. Thumbs down overall just for the ridiculously high price - one Naan costs Rs.125, Makkai ki Roti was also Rs.125 each, and the veg dishes were Rs.350 each. Also ended up paying more than Rs.400 in taxes.

Good option for a company paid team lunch though.

Last edited by Oxy : 27th January 2014 at 13:46.
Old 27th January 2014, 14:11   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Tried out Punjabi By Nature, diagonally opposite to Prestige Shantiniketan on ITPL road, next to where Big Bazaar once was.
I went with lunch buffet which was 650 including taxes 2 weeks back. Food was just Ok with very less variety.
Overall : Nothing great and can be skipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Guys, has anyone ever availed the GROUPON coupons for food deals?

I am interested in this:
http://www.groupon.co.in/deals/banga...ngaluru/434245

In general, wondering how good is the experience if we went on a deal coupon instead of full fare. Any difference in behavior by the restaurant folks?

In particular, has anyone used the above offer? Any feedback?
Late to reply but definitely they are value for money and there is no change in staff behavior atleast in buffet
Check terms and conditions carefully like blackout dates/children policy/etc

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th January 2014 at 10:39. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
Old 27th January 2014, 15:33   #3045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Rajeev Gonsalves
Now that was SOME way to describe food.
I have to say that some of it bounced off my head but I did enjoy the breakfast with you, virtually.

Most Viewed