Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 16:39   #3271
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

There is a dhaba on KR Puram to Hoskote high way - Shere e Punjab.
Is there any feedback on this joint wrt
- Cleanliness
- Cost
- Family Friendliness
Old 7th November 2014, 10:07   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
There is a dhaba on KR Puram to Hoskote high way - Shere e Punjab.
Is there any feedback on this joint wrt
- Cleanliness
- Cost
- Family Friendliness
Shere e Punjab is a very big food chain based out of Kolkata.
This could be one of their branches. They usually set up on highways and outskirts of cities.

From the Kolkata experience I can say
- Cleanliness - 3/5
- Cost - 4/5
- Family Friendliness - 4.5/5

IIRC they did not serve alcohol. But this one on the highway could be different.
Old 7th November 2014, 19:13   #3273
Senior - BHPian

For those who love kappa biriyani, there is a thattukada (roadside hotel on wheels) opposite to karmalaram station who sells good kappa biriyani and black coffee. They also have porotta, beef, dosa etc. The kappa biriyani is priced at 70 per plate and is filling.

Ps: for those who don't know, kappa biriyani don't have anything to do with traditional biriyani. It is a dish of kappa (tapioca) mixed with beef.

--Anoop
Old 8th November 2014, 00:20   #3274
BHPian

Kababi's on bannerghatta road.
Went there to take away my dinner and while waiting for it, one guy got me a small glass of juice. I was pleasantly surprised. How many restaurants we would have visited for a take away.. waiting period at all places felt the same. But here in Kababi's I was genuinely impressed.
Old 8th November 2014, 11:32   #3275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
Hatari ,

KANNADA FOOD !

Go to MTR opp Lalbagh park near Urvashi theatre , and be transported back to the 1950s ..

or try HalliMane at Malleswaram near Sampige theatre .

Best: Buy the most satisfying piping hot lip-smacking breakfast from VEENA STORES Malleswaram Margosa road & 15th cross junction.

links:
http://www.mavallitiffinrooms.com/ourstory/
http://www.hallimane.com/about-hallimane.html
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4857717.ece

enjoy! vinay
Very unfortunate to say this, but its true. None of these places have the same old taste and uniqueness today as compared to the past.

Indeed many agree with me on this. One more place which has lost its charm is Vidhyarthi Bhavan.
Old 8th November 2014, 11:50   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Very unfortunate to say this, but its true. None of these places have the same old taste and uniqueness today as compared to the past.

Indeed many agree with me on this. One more place which has lost its charm is Vidhyarthi Bhavan.
VEENA stores is still going strong !
& thanks to you, I'll have a new excuse to eat at his eatery today : )

eat at MTR near Lalbagh and enjoy your weekend
Old 8th November 2014, 13:47   #3277
BHPian

Recently been to The Rock, Indranagar
https://www.zomato.com/bangalore/the-rock-indiranagar

Ambience : - 5/5
Forest theme. Kids will like it very much

Wallet : - 5/5
Rs.350 for Vegetarian, Rs.450 for Non-Veg inclusive of taxes during weekdays for buffet. A la carte too available

Service :- 2.5/5
On a weekday, there were only 3 waiters for around 15 tables.

Food :- 3.5/5
a)6 -7 Vegetarian starters, 2 -3 Gravy items, Rice etc. Veg Dishes were not hot (due to the main AC duct on top of it )
b) Non-Veg items were tasty ( 5 starters ).
c) Desserts were average.
Old 9th November 2014, 15:52   #3278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
For those who love kappa biriyani, there is a thattukada (roadside hotel on wheels) opposite to karmalaram station who sells good kappa biriyani and black coffee. They also have porotta, beef, dosa etc. The kappa biriyani is priced at 70 per plate and is filling.

Ps: for those who don't know, kappa biriyani don't have anything to do with traditional biriyani. It is a dish of kappa (tapioca) mixed with beef.

--Anoop
Is that a shed outside the station? I just passed thru yesterday at about 9pm didn't notice a shop there.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:02   #3279
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I had the misfortune of trying out Kolkatta Biryani in one of the outlets at Bangalore Central, Jayanagar 9th Block. I forgot the name but it starts with Kolkatta and is next to Subway. Not only was the Biryani pathetic, the service was utterly disgusting. I got my order after 40 mins after repeatedly following up. The folks there are the worst kind and it looked like they didnt have any interest or motivation serving the customers.

Please stay away.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:59   #3280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

--Anoop
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Is that a shed outside the station? I just passed thru yesterday at about 9pm didn't notice a shop there.
It is just before you reach the station entrance and on the left side. It is a 4 wheel cycle vandi with Thattukada written in Malayalam on the side. Based on Anoop's post had been to check it out on Saturday and buy something for the family. But did not feel confident to buy for family and returned. Need to try it once alone
Old 10th November 2014, 12:01   #3281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I had the misfortune of trying out Kolkatta Biryani in one of the outlets at Bangalore Central, Jayanagar 9th Block. I forgot the name but it starts with Kolkatta and is next to Subway. Not only was the Biryani pathetic, the service was utterly disgusting. I got my order after 40 mins after repeatedly following up. The folks there are the worst kind and it looked like they didnt have any interest or motivation serving the customers.

Please stay away.
I used to love Howrah Bridge at B'lore Central, JP Nagar.
They closed shop and I guess there is this new counter that has opened up which left a bad taste in your mouth.

For good Kolkata (Mughlai) Biriyani with potatos, head to Lazeez in Koramangala or BTM 1st Stage.
The ambience is nothing to speak about. But once you put the food items in your mouth, you would want to forget everything.

Try out the Chicken / Mutton Mughlai Biriyani, Mutton Rezala and Firni here.They are superb.

There is nother Kolkata style fast food center by the name Zeeshan, that is operating in BTM 2nd stage (near lake road CCD).
We binge on the biriyani almost thrice a week. Not to mention, the paratha rolls are too good.

I am hoping that Arsalan soon opens up a branch in Bangalore.

Lazeez, Arsalan and Zeeshan are very famous in Kolkata and are a good name amongst Bengalis located in Bangalore.

PS: These are all fast food chains. For fine dine you need to go to the likes of Bhojohori Manna or 6 Ballygunge Place, etc etc.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 10th November 2014 at 12:02. Reason: PS Added.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:29   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
It is just before you reach the station entrance and on the left side. It is a 4 wheel cycle vandi with Thattukada written in Malayalam on the side. Based on Anoop's post had been to check it out on Saturday and buy something for the family. But did not feel confident to buy for family and returned. Need to try it once alone
@Glenmz - as Rajeev mentioned, it is not a shop, but a shop on wheels

Rajeev: I had kappa biriyani and kattan kaapi and did not face any issues, so I am planning to take parcel from there soon. Since I had already tested, I think it is safe for my family

Do try it out once.

--Anoop
Old 10th November 2014, 12:49   #3283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Shere e Punjab is a very big food chain based out of Kolkata.
This could be one of their branches. They usually set up on highways and outskirts of cities.

From the Kolkata experience I can say
- Cleanliness - 3/5
- Cost - 4/5
- Family Friendliness - 4.5/5

IIRC they did not serve alcohol. But this one on the highway could be different.
This one is definitely not the same Sher-e-Punjaab and just another typical "Family Dhaba" that's dotted along our highways (and good).

But I agree with your views on the Sher-e-Punjab Dhaba and I have stopped by at Kolaghat during my GQ drive almost exactly last year. Their Fish Kebabs were simply delicious. Family friendly? Well yes, it was more than just families that thronged these places. Lovely place!

Not sure now, but I have heard that this outlet is now closed?
Old 16th November 2014, 09:42   #3284
Distinguished - BHPian

Visited Chakam Chukam Calcutta on a roll- off indiranagar 100 ft road( first left after 12th main signal when coming from domlur). A small stall kind of a place. But was impressed. Good variety of rolls, parathas were soft and crispy, good fillings( not overloaded with onions and sauce). I decided to order their special malav roll. The description looked great. But did not expect a 1.5 foot monster like below . Fully loaded with fillings as promised in the description. But no place to sit and eat apart from a few stools and one table. Rolls are priced around the 100 range and the monster is priced at rs320.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-1416111401903.jpg  

Last edited by DerAlte : 17th November 2014 at 16:59. Reason: As requested by OP
Old 17th November 2014, 22:35   #3285
BHPian

Cake shop in HSR layout

I am looking for a cake shop in or near HSR layout for my kids first birthday. I want someone who is good at eggless cakes and customizable designs. Any suggestions anyone?

Most Viewed