Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2019, 18:46   #3646
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you'll like Bengali Sweets () do not miss a visit to Banchharam (I think they have 3-4 outlets in Bangalore, I've been to the one on Cambridge Road near Shirdi Sai Baba Temple & next door to Sai Skanda Dosa Camp another popular eatery).
Do not miss their "Baked Rasogolla"
You could go to Bancharams , but do keep in mind that they are horribly horribly overpriced. I eat the same sweets in Kolkata, and in Bangalore they are at least double the price, if not triple. They justify it by saying that they are providing Kolkata quality in Bangalore- which in itself is quite debatable.

Stopped going to their outlets on principle for several years now. Some of their sweets are good, but their price list reads like daylight robbery

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 4th January 2019 at 18:52.
Old 4th January 2019, 21:39   #3647
BHPian

I agree. The B'lore based Bancharam and K.C.Das just can't hold a candle to the Kolkata based sweet shops. In Kolkata, I've tried some branches of Balaram Mullick; Hindustan; Another place in Lake market that I'm forgetting the name of; Sen Mahasay; and Girish Chandra...fantastic would be an understatement to them all.

Bancharam in B'lore are just exploiting the lack of serious competition. Even the simple Kheer-Kadam that's phenomenal pretty much every place in Kolkata, tastes totally dry and soul-less in B'lore - what agony!
Old 5th January 2019, 07:48   #3648
Senior - BHPian

It's the water I guess. When I toured Kolkata (and quite extensively) I just couldn't have enough of the sweets, and they were on a different league. Even a simple MishtiDoi was heavely, and I would consume it in kilos. But it's not just in Bangalore, Bengali sweets taste best in Bengal. Like how you can't get the original taste of our BisiBeleBath, KoriRoti, DosaChutney, IdliSambar and AkkiRotti, any place else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Bancharam in B'lore are just exploiting the lack of serious competition. Even the simple Kheer-Kadam that's phenomenal pretty much every place in Kolkata, tastes totally dry and soul-less in B'lore - what agony!
Old 5th January 2019, 09:13   #3649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Like how you can't get the original taste of our BisiBeleBath, KoriRoti, DosaChutney, IdliSambar and AkkiRotti, any place else.
Agreed -
  • The best idli/vada and savigebhaat I've had till date has been from the Raghavendra Stores (one near malleshwaram railway stn).
  • The best dosa I've had has been the one at shree-sagar (ctr)
  • Have yet to sample a memorable bisibelebath.
Old 5th January 2019, 09:40   #3650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have yet to sample a memorable bisibelebath
MTR (the original one near Lalbagh) should be your go to destination for bisibelebath. Closer to your place, Veena Stores is your friend, although the taste isn't what it used to be earlier.
Old 5th January 2019, 11:21   #3651
Senior - BHPian

Thanks -
Best idli - Original Brahmins near Chamarajpet
Best Idli/Vada/Chutney combo - SLV at Ramakrishna Ashrama
Best Dosa - Bangalore Cafe near Vijaya High School, Jayanagar
Best Shavige Bath - Brahmins Thatte Idli, RT Nagar (They have 15 outlets all over)
Best Bisi Bele Bath - Can't beat my mother in law

Quote:
The best idli/vada and savigebhaat I've had till date has been from the Raghavendra Stores (one near malleshwaram railway stn).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th January 2019 at 06:52. Reason: Inserting smiley instead of image.
Old 6th January 2019, 00:04   #3652
BHPian

Well, as for me nothing can beat the 'idly sambar' combination at SN Refreshments(They are kinda offshoot of Brahmins, Chamarajpet). I can bet, you would never get that hot n spicy sambar for idlies anywhere else in Bangalore. And chutney is also NOT far away as it is as hot as the sambar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Best Dosa - Bangalore Cafe near Vijaya High School, Jayanagar
Is this at 4th Block? Any landmark?

Last edited by JMaruru : 6th January 2019 at 00:10.
Old 6th January 2019, 03:43   #3653
Senior - BHPian

I know what you mean since I used to go to SN Refreshments in JP Nagar, quite frequently. They are certainly good. SLV Chutney/sambar is legendary in the Basavangudi area. So is Vidyarthi Bhavan, DVG Road - for Dosa, idli and shavige bath. Do try these places.
Bangalore Cafe is the new kid on the block, replicating old tastes. You don't get sambar there, only chutney. Their Dosa is the best. It's kinda 'half-dosa' with 'gatti chutney' and you cant stop at one . Coffee is great. Location is easy. It's diagonally opposite Bharath TVS - (Malabar Gold Jewellery Intersection) 9th Main Road, Jayanagar. Old world charm - That's the place in the pic (do let us know how you found the taste).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img_7298.jpg  

Old 6th January 2019, 19:57   #3654
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Mirror has a timely writeup on Namma Bengaluru’s best idli joints.
Quote:
  • By2Coffee
  • Brahmin's Coffee Bar
  • Raghavendra Stores
  • Veena Stores
  • Sri Raghavendra Prasanna Coffee Club
  • Suprabhata Coffee Kendra
  • Vishnu Tatte Idli
Old 6th January 2019, 22:47   #3655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Well, as for me nothing can beat the 'idly sambar' combination at SN Refreshments

Me thinks our taste buds are alike 😀. I am a big fan on SN and have been a regular patron for many years. I know the owner personally and is a very friendly and accommodating person. It’s my daughter’s fav Dharshini as well as the chutney isn’t too spicy and you can get the tinge of sweetness in the preparation ala Udupi style.
Old 16th June 2019, 12:37   #3656
BHPian

Is anyone aware of any good Dabbawala systems in North Bangalore towards the Sahakar Nagar?

Our cook will be away for at least a month and therefore the need!

Thanks.
Old 27th August 2019, 14:12   #3657
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A recent find - B Bhagat Tarachand

While shopping in Chikpet and nearby areas, looked up Google to see if there were any new Veggie restaurant options. There are several small eateries all around with Lakshmi Natraja Refreshments being one of the best, but I still persisted with my search to see if the results throw up something new! And it did, Bhagat Tarachand was rated high and also the top result (they did their digital marketing well).

So headed over using gmaps and found it was located on the 5th floor of a building surrounded by crowded shops, mostly selling silk sarees and dress materials. On reaching the top floor, I was even more surprised to see that it was a fairly big "fine dining" place. Tried the "Special Bhagat Veg Thali" (Rs.260) and came out very happy and contented. Food was not high in salt and spices and was very tasty.

Reading more on the internet, found that it is owned by a Mumbai based group and they've opened another branch in Kormanagala too

Last edited by NPV : 27th August 2019 at 14:30.
Old 27th August 2019, 14:24   #3658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Reading more on the internet, found that it is owned by a Mumbai based group and they've opened another branch in Kormanagala too
This is good to know NPV. I was amused and I too checked their site and realised it is the same that exists in Mumbai. I have been to their Vashi branch and have savoured their Bhendi fry while crossing Mumbai during our GQ drive few years before.
Old 27th August 2019, 15:15   #3659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

While shopping in Chikpet a... Food was not high in salt and spices and was very tasty.
This is very useful and I wish I had this info a couple of days ago. Wife was on a shopping trip to Chikpet with her friends and they would have loved this option - will keep this for future use

--Anoop
Old 27th August 2019, 16:01   #3660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I guess this place in Koramangala was earlier called KMT (Khatta Meetha Teekha) and was a nice joint for North Indian chaats. I am not are if they have rebadged themselves to Bhagat Tarachand or if they closed down and The new setup has come up. Will give it a try sometime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks