Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3474-guide-eating-out-bangalore-246.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by null (Post 4694308)
Is there any place which serves vada sambar like how it used to taste in Janata Hotel (malleswaram) in the olden days (pre 2000)?

I remember Hotel Sangam on Residency road (closed now) and Woody's on Commercial street that came pretty close but then it's been ages since I went there. Another one was Amba Bhavan near Shivajinagar and I'm not sure if it's still around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazda4life (Post 4693686)
Our area ( Jayanagar and Jayanagar ) is a true paradise when it comes to south india veg fare and each hotel has a specialty.

Another personal favorite is SLV on Kothanur Main road - Excellent filter coffee, Idli/Vada. Always crowded on weekend mornings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4693383)
Since you seem to be in the JP Nagar/ Jayanagar region, try the dosas, idlis and Mangalore bajjis at Brahmins cafe branch which has opened in JP Nagar 7th phase, just over a year back. This is very close to my place and we end up eating there frequently.

Turnover is massive and therefore all the food is always hot and super fresh, even just before 9pm when they are about to close. Also, the seating area is spacious, clean and well ventilated, so a good place for weekend breakfasts or evening tiffin :)

This is the hanumanthnagar branch right? Was here this morning after reading your suggestion. Lots of locals, doesn't seem to be marauded by the IT crowd yet. Butter masale dosa was pretty good. The shunti coffee was different and yuck :D

Hey, I was in Hanumanthanagar as well. We must have crossed paths. LOL. This outlet is fairly new and is not connected to the Brahmins at Shankarmutt Road. But stuff is delicious, i agree!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 4694371)
This is the hanumanthnagar branch right? Was here this morning after reading your suggestion. Lots of locals, doesn't seem to be marauded by the IT crowd yet. Butter masale dosa was pretty good. The shunti coffee was different and yuck :D

I'd say the no one can go wrong with the average south Indian tiffin joint anywhere in Bangalore, its very rare that food is dreadful in a hotel unless one chooses a real rat hole of a hotel where cleanliness wont be remotely upto par and food will be oily and messy.

MTR is overrated in my view, too gheely (ghee version of oily), definitely not for purists, its sister concern Brahmin Tiffins and Coffee (one in Basavanagudi) is great, zero oil, piping hot pure brown sambar (not the red sweet one), gatti chutney etc. The idli vada is as pure as it gets.

I'm a south food connoisseur, though there are slight differences between the southern states when it comes to even the simple idlis and dosas, the number 1 clearly is Chennai (though a bit bland for some, even for me) and that's where the Kannada twist improves the taste a helluva lot.

Khara bath or upma though, one should be very choosy on the hotel and kesri bath is dipped in ghee so very few hotels give a purists kesri bath. Dasaprakash in MG Road Metro Boulevard should be a no miss. Also the various Sagars and Adigas hotels should be above average mostly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 4694385)
Hey, I was in Hanumanthanagar as well. We must have crossed paths. LOL. This outlet is fairly new and is not connected to the Brahmins at Shankarmutt Road. But stuff is delicious, i agree!

Haha. We must have man. Pity we didn't get to meet. We would have had some interesting conversations for sure. :)

Wow, i thought they were related. Yeah the stuff was pretty darn good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark.knight (Post 4694405)
a purists kesri bath.

Having had the kesri bath at few places (including the Taaza Thindi, Jayanagar), the one I liked best so far has been from the New Krishna Bhavan - this is right opposite the Mantri Mall in Malleshwaram. The name of this restaurant seems to keep changing. Sometimes I have seen it as some 'Gopika' something. Good place for some good breakfast. They used to have some green idli thing, used to be good. Haven't been there in a while.

The second best Kesri Bath I've had has been at the Raghavendra Stores - Opposite the Manipal Hospital next to Malleshwaram railway station.

Have to try the SN refreshments sometime. Will do when I'm in the area next. Was in Jayanagar a few days ago, but didn't get a chance to try any of the popular ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyata (Post 4694499)
Malleshwaram

Completely unrelated to the topic being discussed but a foodie info nevertheless: Kadalekai Parishe is on in Malleshwaram and Basavanagudi.

Thought I would remind you in time this time. But a reminder on a Sunday night isn't really worth anything, is it? :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dailydriver (Post 4694512)
Kadalekai Parishe is on in Malleshwaram and Basavanagudi.

Ah, yes! Last time it happened the rain gods had issues with the festivities and managed to keep everyone in check.

When I just googled, turns out, the three day festivity started this Saturday and and would be winding down Monday (tomorrow)! Would have gone Saturday/Sunday had I known earlier.

Although I have increased my work-from-home the last 2-months owing to terrible traffic situation between Sahakar Nagar and Whitefield, will be driving to work work tomorrow and will have to miss out this years Kadalekai Parishe.

Basavanagudi Kadalekai Parishe 2019 will be held form November 25 to three days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by null (Post 4694308)
Is there any place which serves vada sambar like how it used to taste in Janata Hotel (malleswaram) in the olden days (pre 2000)?

Janardhana hotel near shivananda circle. No other place comes close to old janatha IMO.

Fellow members who are food patrons of Bangalore, check out the 'Food Lovers TV' channel on YouTube hosted by Mr.Kripal . His videos on food outlets in Bangalore are very nice and informative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 4694371)

No sir - the branch I am referring to is the one in JP Nagar 7th phase, bang opposite Elita Promenade apartments and a stone's throw away from the Brigade Millenium campus. :) This is a newer branch (of the original outlet in Basavanagudi) which has opened just over a year back, and has very quickly become hugely popular among the residents of this area. If you are this side of town, its a great place to try for breakfast or even evening snacks. Menu is small and limited, but almost all items are well made with good ingredients.

There will not be any IT crowd at this branch because there are no office campuses in this area - it is purely a residential area. Hence, the patrons consist only of local residents, no office workers queueing up at lunch or breakfast time and multiplying the crowds here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 4694660)
Fellow members who are food patrons of Bangalore, check out the 'Food Lovers TV' channel on YouTube hosted by Mr.Kripal . His videos on food outlets in Bangalore are very nice and informative.

Looks like his channel is becoming very popular, been getting a lot of recommendations on youtube :)
I watched one of the Dosa trail episodes and decided to try out a place I'd not heard of before. So went to the Chikkanna Tiffin Room in Cubbon Pet ("CTR" but not to be confused with the Malleswaram CTR/Shri Sagar).

This is almost a hole in the wall kind of place, small room (old house in the pete area of Bangalore). The place is on a cross road just off Cubbon Pet main road (the road adjacent to Halasurgate/Ulsoorgate police station near Hudson church). Place is patronized mainly by locals from the business community. Suggest going by 2 wheeler or parking the car at the beginning of Cubbon pet main road and walking a 100 meters or so.

The place serves good Mini masala dosa, Khali dosa and Rice Baath (Pulav) or the local favorite Baath Dosa (Dosa +Pulav). You can skip Idli, Vada, etc (they don't serve sambar).

They had a sign inside with other branches - one more in Nagarthpet nearby to the Cubbon pet one, one each in Seshadripuram and VV Puram.

Any recommendations for authentic north Indian Dhaba , in and around Bangalore ?