Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3474-guide-eating-out-bangalore-249.html)

A must try would be Sendhoor Coffee which I visited few days back. They serve authentic South Indian breakfast with specialties being Pongal, Masala Dosa, Idly, Vada and filter coffee.
I managed to try all of them and all I can say is that the food is AMAZING. clap:
A small tip - Visit early in the morning for breakfast since it gets crowded as the day progresses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 4721169)
Here is a wonderful little 'Darshini' style eatery in Malleshwaram.
Great food, high speed service, authentic taste, very well priced and super clean, I absolutely must say!

Their puliogare there is damn good and so is the Idli-pretty soft. Found Uddina vada and Maddur vada below par. Nice aromatic coffee, just like any other darshini.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 4721257)
The hardest thing to find in Bangalore is genuinely good South Indian food, and more so if you happen to live in the IT hub, closer to Whitefield I mean.
The first one is by the name Brilrams Balaji Bhavan at Whitefield, quite close to the hope farm Junction / Whitefield railway station.

There are quite a few Udupi in whitefield area that have come up, none of them are finger liking, but decent I would say. Udupi Park in brookefield serves good dosa and decent south meals. If you are ok to venture other area's there are quite a lot-South Ruchi square- Race course road(Karnataka Style) and Annapoorani-Indirangar(TN Style) top my list.

It appears the Raghavendra stores people have now also started the Raghavendra Dosa Camp. It's located bang opposite the Raghavendra stores itself. Did not get a chance to try it yet though. Will try when I'm in the area next.

I only noticed it after I got something packed yesterday and was about to leave.

Witnessed a rather comical and protective nature of the folks at Raghavendra stores -

A traffic cop with his minions was doing rounds towing away two-wheelers on their towing truck. When they approached the Raghavendra stores and were about the start putting away two-wheelers in the truck, a senior citizen (possibly associated with the stores) thundered and lambasted the cop and his minions.

The poor chaps left with their heads held low and muttering something under their breath! Was a delight to witness the scene although the cop and his minions were in the right!

Tried a nondescript, hitherto unknown to me, almost hole in the wall kinda place :D and the food was quite impressive. Another local eatery like the ones you find in V V Puram/Chikpet areas, this one is in Shivajinagar called B N Sambaiah Setty Tiffin Room on Dharmaraja Koil street near the HBP and Methodist mission schools. I have walked/rode past this place gazillion times but never noticed it. They have very few items on the menu and open only between 7:30-10:30/11 am!
Their best items are the rice baaths (Sunday is Bread Palav) and Vada curry. We also tried the Idli and Dosa which are light and tastes like home made food. Very inexpensive as well.
Weird that I never heard about it even from friends and family living in and around that area, found it thanks to a random YouTube video suggestion.

During a short stroll around the MG road metro station, found that Dasaprakash was closed (not sure if permanently) ? Walked across MG road and on to Museum road and found Museum Inn (had the Bamboo shoots and Angeethi restaurants) had gone and looked like a new building has come up there ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 4735859)
During a short stroll around the MG road metro station, found that Dasaprakash was closed (not sure if permanently) ? Walked across MG road and on to Museum road and found Museum Inn (had the Bamboo shoots and Angeethi restaurants) had gone and looked like a new building has come up there ?

Not sure about Dasaprakash but Musuem Inn got shut down a long time ago. The building has been sold to make apartments I guess.

There is new small Maharashtrian joint opened in BTM Layout 2nd Stage, 7th cross road, called "Puneri Katta". Had a delicious of Sabudana Khichdi couple of days back. It was a weekday, and I was the first customer; had a friendly chat with the owner the very few Maharashtrian joints in Bangalore.

Location.

Next to Sri Balaji darshini, there is a Lenovo store, and right next to it there is a dead-end street. Puneri Katta is at the dead-end of this street.

I visited Anand Sweets today in Koramangala. Tried Cholle Bhature, Gol-Gappa, Panner Parantha meal, Rasmalai, and Chandrakala. Food was good with Dilli like preparation and Haldiram restaurants like set-up. I'll rate 4/5 on food and hygiene. Rasmalai was okay, but was really disappointed with Chandrakala (being one of my favorite sweets). Must try if you miss Dilli (North Indian) food.
P.S: They have other branches as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalOne (Post 4738767)

Location.

Next to Sri Balaji darshini, there is a Lenovo store, and right next to it there is a dead-end street. Puneri Katta is at the dead-end of this street.

Thanks for this. Will try over the weekend. The only other almost authentic maharashtrian place that I normally venture for the Vada Pav, Thalipeet, Misal Pav and Shrikhand is at Jayanagar 9th block. (Rajvardhan foods). Quite expensive, but the taste buds always wins over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrishnakj (Post 4739026)
The only other almost authentic maharashtrian place that I normally venture for the Vada Pav, Thalipeet, Misal Pav and Shrikhand is at Jayanagar 9th block. (Rajvardhan foods). Quite expensive, but the taste buds always wins over.

Rajvardhan foods is a long time favourite. Only crib being they are always understaffed, and service is slow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Octy17 (Post 4721557)
A must try would be Sendhoor Coffee .

Fantastic place had been there last week had Paddu ( paniyaram) it was awesome and the tea I had there was one of the best. This place is at Jogupalya , Ulsoor close to Sai Baba temple.

We tried some takeaways ( vada pav, Chats, roti...) , from a relatively new joint called a Mysore coffee thindi in 4th Block , Jayanagar. Food was good and pretty tasty, spoilt by choices in our area.

Annapoorna benne dosa in JP Nagar Area.

This is a relatively newer joint but serves lip smacking benne dosa, Davanagere style, with the typical mashed and boiled potatoes and super-spicy white coconut chutney. I usually get it home delivered through Swiggy, though the best way of course would be to go there and enjoy it as a weekend breakfast. Small place, with very reasonable prices. The dosas are drenched in yummy butter, not a dish for the faint hearted or the diet conscious, for sure.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by arindambasu13 (Post 4739736)
Annapoorna benne dosa in JP Nagar Area.
:D

Where in 'JP Nagar'? The one 'davanagere benne' dosa place I know is closer to 'JP Nagar' Metro Station on 'Kanakapura Road'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 4740338)
Where in 'JP Nagar'? The one 'davanagere benne' dosa place I know is closer to 'JP Nagar' Metro Station on 'Kanakapura Road'.

It is in JP Nagar 7th phase on the kothnur road. Clean and neat place.

Gmaps location here.