Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2024, 20:05   #4306
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Recently tried Chefkraft, a cloud kitchen (should be on both Swiggy and Zomato) which was recommended by a friend. We ordered 2 veggie dishes - Cottage cheese and Sautéed vegetables salad, and a Pita sandwich with Falafel. Both were excellent, superb packaging and presentation as well, would definitely recommend.
Will be trying their Soups and other items some other time.

Last edited by NPV : 21st April 2024 at 20:07.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 00:05   #4307
BHPian

Visited the following places today:

Vidyarthi Bhavan: I last visited this place around 14 years ago, when I used to be a semi-frequent patron. What I thought would be a delicious, nostalgia-inducing visit turned out to be an absolute damp squib. Gone is that relaxed ambiance that allowed you to savour that lovely benne masala dose. Now, neither will you get the relaxed ambiance, nor will you get any savoury dose. The quality of the masala dose was pathetic and the wait times are not worth it. If you're someone who lives in places like Whitefield and hear "rave" reviews of this place, don't fall for it and save yourself from an early morning trip to hell.

I had reached the place around 8:15am. The token distributor confidently told me to "walk around" and come back by 9:30 am. Finally got a seat at around 9:45 am, the dose by around 10:05. Fortunately I had taken the advice of the token distributor and walked down to Brahmins' Coffee Bar, which was just about a kilometer away and a reasonably pleasant walk (given the beautiful weather conditions this morning).

Brahmins' Coffee Bar:
I'm glad I walked down to this place. Crowded for sure, but the management keeps the crowd circulating quite adeptly, in my opinion. I tried everything on their limited menu - idly, vada, coffee, khara baath and kesari baath.

You have to stand, eat, and go away. Absolutely no frills. The food is quite decent - the idlis were melt-in-the-mouth soft, the vadas were crisp, the accompanying chutney was spiced just right, the khaara baath was not particularly khaara, but livable, the kesari baath was endearingly sweet and the coffee quite strong.

Again, it's not a place you need to actively seek out and visit but it's worth checking out if you're in the vicinity.

After this, I strolled back to Vidyarthi Bhavan, determined to have the masala dose. Alas, what a disappointment it turned out to be. My face was probably an apt rendition of this meme:

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-my-disappointment-immeasurable.png
KryptonMonkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2024, 09:10   #4308
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

My daughter had recommendations from her friends for Sagar in Rajajinagar, a place I had never heard or tried before!

We went there recently one evening almost at 9pm to find the place jam packed, our token number was 65 and wait times were upwards of an hour, so we were advised to order and eat on the street side. Tried their kiosk first, where UPI payment failed repeatedly, then used their manual system where a person takes the order (and UPI payment worked!) and then we have to go to separate counters for Dosa, chaats, sandwiches and beverages but they were efficient enough for us to be done eating in 20 minutes

The Bombay Butter Vada Pav and Cheese Pav Bhaji were excellent, the Plain and Masala Dosa were good as well, masala puri wasn’t great, but the jewel on the crown was the Special Mango milkshake (they serve a half portion as well). Oh, I tried the Masala chaas (buttermilk) and that was very good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonMonkey View Post
Again, it's not a place you need to actively seek out and visit but it's worth checking out if you're in the vicinity.
In my opinion both Vidyarthi Bhavan and Brahmins have lost it and aren’t worth it anymore, albeit for some nostalgia if one has been an old timer.
However, their brand perception and hype is so much that every day one will find a huge number of first timers, such is the power of social media influencers, sadly!

At Vidyarthi Bhavan, the regulars usually stick to their tried and tested Idly, Vada, Plain/Masala Dosa (I also do the same when I visit, which is rare these days, regret the one time I tried their Bele Masala Dosa).

On my last visit to these places, I found Vidyarthi Bhavan to be ok, but at Brahmins, their Idly, Vada and chutney weren’t even close to the taste of what they served a decade ago.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 22:35   #4309
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried One8 recently, Virat Kohli’s restaurant chain. The ambience is nice and relaxed. The balcony seating is nice with great views of the skyline and one can spot the Vidhana Soudha, Chinnaswamy stadium and other surrounding buildings. We liked the food, a good number of items in the menu across cuisines and keeps the vegetarians happy too. All the dishes we ordered were good, tried couple of mocktails that were good (and light on sugar). We even got a 15% discount on paying the bill via Swiggy.
We tried the 4 seasons vegetable Dim Sum, Bamboo cashewnut cottage cheese, Cheese Garlic bread, Cajun potato wedges, Tandoori malai broccoli, Khamiri roti, Tandoori butter roti and Lahori Chole, came back satiated and happy.
Pricing wasn’t overboard and par for course, slightly more than what a decent fine dining restaurant in Bangalore would charge.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed