Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3474-guide-eating-out-bangalore-53.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 1525726)
Hey bro, where exactly is it? Would love to try it out.

its in frazer town. if you drive down kamraj road, you'll hit a junction with a huge bp petrol bunk to your left. move on. next junction is thoms cafe. move on. the next junction take a left and look towards to the 1s floor on the 2nd building to your left. thats where it is. landmark, icici bank diagonally opp.

Weekend had been to NYX @ residency road. Pale crowd with not so good Draught & food.
Also been to OKO @ Lalith Ashok, Nice ambience, Very good view. Fantastic for a date.

My Suggestions :

1. Butter Chicken - I personally believe that Kabab Corner (St.Marks Road) serves the bestest butter chicken so far. It is heaven when you eat it with the hot spongy naan. I also find the Butter Chicken at Kund (100ft Road Indranagar , after the CMH junction behind domino's) very tasty, and more punjabi like

2. Chicken Wings - Millers 46. No one comes closest to the best chicken wings that Millers 46 serves.

3. Burger - I love the juicy lamb burgers at Indiana, but at times for the sake of change of taste, I head to Ice n Spice

4. Dosa - I think Konark serves the crispiest dosas in town. Now, I have spent a large part of my life in Coimbatore and on comparison I have understood this : In TN, the dosas are paper thin and crisp, the sambar is hot and spicy and the chutney is bland and watery. But in Karnataka, the dosas are thick and crisp, the sambar is sweet and the chutney is spicy and thick. BTW, the sagu dosa at Janardhan is also a favourite.

5. Sea Food - Sa na di ge, Kudla, Anupam's, they all rock. But the closest to my house in Koramangala is Kubay which is good too.

6. Idly, vada, kara bath - Brahmin's coffee house - Mr. Adiga, simply rocks. I think SLV in Banashankari comes 2nd.

7. Biryani - I think Biryani can be classified into different types - the ones I like are Hyderabad House (Victoria Layout), Nandini, Navayuga, Nagarjuna. But as I am not a big fan of spices, I enjoy a biryani which is more subtle and bland in spice but rich in taste, my hunt is still on - I think Ammi's Biryani in Koramangala comes the closest.

8. Chinese - Bejing Bites on Hayes Road is good, but I think China Pearl in Koramangala rocks the list in Chinese. But if you want some fine dining then you should head to Aromas of China or Mainland China

9. Buffets - Cafe Masala buffet are compulsory once in two months affair for me. I quite dint like the spread at Angeethi, but if you concentrate on Biryani, Butter Chicken and Fish Tandoor - then that is the place to be

10. Thai - Recently a friend of mine threw his bday bash at Mugen on Indranagar 100ft road, the food was fingerlicking good.

Gotta rush now, will update soon.

Cheers

Thats good list of places you got, Abhishek. Apart from a few old timers, many of the names are new to me. Will pass this list onto my folks in B'lore,as they'r always in search of good eats.

Please see my comments in bold

Quote:

Originally Posted by abishekkalro (Post 1529799)
My Suggestions :

1. Butter Chicken - I personally believe that Kabab Corner (St.Marks Road) serves the bestest butter chicken so far. It is heaven when you eat it with the hot spongy naan. I haven't tried the Butter chicken, but I like the rolls there

2. Chicken Wings - Millers 46. No one comes closest to the best chicken wings that Millers 46 serves. I've been wanting to try this place from a long time, but still not able to:Frustrati

3. Burger - I love the juicy lamb burgers at Indiana, but at times for the sake of change of taste, I head to Ice n Spice . +1, I loved the lamb Burgers at Indiana. But over the years, the taste came down very heavily

4. Dosa - I think Konark serves the crispiest dosas in town. BTW, the sagu dosa at Janardhan is also a favourite. try Vidhyarthi Bhavan in Gandhi Bazaar. It's gonna be pretty crowded, but worth it. Ganesh darshan in Jayanagar also serves very good Dosas.

5. Sea Food - Sa na di ge, Kudla, Anupam's, they all rock. Yep, they all rock. Altough Anupaam's does not taste the same anymore. For a 'no frills' & 'basic' seafood, try Fishland in Majestic area.

6. Idly, vada, kara bath - Brahmin's coffee house - Mr. Adiga, simply rocks. No question about it. the best in town.clap: I think SLV in Banashankari comes 2nd. Which SLV are you talking about, there are many SLVs in the Basavanagudi, Jayanagar & Banashankari areas. I'd say the SLV near Ramakrishna Ashrama circle comes second best

7. Biryani - I think Biryani can be classified into different types - the ones I like are Hyderabad House (Victoria Layout), Nandini, Navayuga, Nagarjuna.
Hyderabadi Biryani on Victoria Road gets my vote. If you are looking for a less spicy biryani, I suggest you try Banashankari Donne Biryani. The address has been discussed in this thread.

8. Chinese - Bejing Bites on Hayes Road is good, but I think China Pearl in Koramangala rocks the list in Chinese. But if you want some fine dining then you should head to Aromas of China or Mainland China. Well, to be frank, I haven't been to the more flamboyant places for Chinese, it's just Chung's or Beijing Bites for me and so far, am satisfied.

Cheers

Miller's 46 do have the best Chicken wings in Bangalore. At least in my experience.

Indianas is good but as Addy says, the quality has gone down. Ice and Spice is a place I've been going to for years. Well, actually my dad used to take me there very often when I was a kid. I hadnt been there for close to 10 years when I visited the place a few months back and believe it or not, the taste of the lamb burgers brought back memories of my childhood!

The taste hasnt changed at all! I cant explain why, but their burgers are different and awesome! :D It tastes exactly as I remembered it(not consciously but in my subconscious). Ice n spice has a special place for me because we used to go there so frequently. I used to order a 'lamburger'. That's right. I had no idea what was in it or how it was spelt, but I wanted a 'lamburger'.

When I visited TN ( Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram) recently, I had idli-vada and other south indian dishes.

I must say that the taste was distinctively different from what one usually gets at the Bangalore darshinis, and far better at least for me.

Where would I get "TN" idli/vada/dosas in Bangalore ? Preferably south B'lore - Bannerghatta Road/JP Nagar area ?

Dont know about South Bangalore, but 'Simply South' in Kamanahalli (on the main road) offers near-TN idli/dosas and vadas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp1975 (Post 1532075)
Where would I get "TN" idli/vada/dosas in Bangalore ? Preferably south B'lore - Bannerghatta Road/JP Nagar area ?

Very true. The taste in Tamilnadu differs so much from that of Karnataka.

I have visited Saravana Bhavan in Hosur a couple of times just to have the mini idly's. They are really yummy and the sambar tastes really nice.

This is the closest place one can visit to get that distinctive TN taste.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp1975 (Post 1532075)

Krishna Cafe in Koramangala is another reasonably good TN style dosa place. Else, towards Cambridge layout, Mouli's/Annapurni is also good.

For Tamilnadu items ( idly/vada/sambhar/dosa/idiyappam )
Indira Nagar :- Adyar Anantha bhavan ( always crowded :( ),Annachi
Koramangla :- Adyar Anantha bhavan , Anjeppar , Ponnuswamy

Iam very fond of Tamilnadu tiffin items (Dosas and idly).

In bangalore i find the Dosas to be very thick and they also add a orange paste on the Dosas to make it spicy and the sambar tastes sweet .

I usually go to Adayar anada bhavan near to Udupi garden BTM layout

Madurai Idly shop near koramangla club.

.::MADURAI IDLY SHOP::.

If someone knows of any other alternative please let me know

I'm not sure if anyone has tries this 'hole in the wall' place called Alana Kabab center, in the BDA complex in Austin Town. I used to go there from the day it opened, and went there for a good 5-6 years before moving to Indiranagar. Used to love their sheekh kabab rolls!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeep3in (Post 1532529)
In bangalore i find the Dosas to be very thick and they also add a orange paste on the Dosas to make it spicy and the sambar tastes sweet .

If someone knows of any other alternative please let me know

Make a visit to SN refreshments in JP Nagar. They have piping hot spicy sambar (cuts through your throat):D for idli's and they are also famous for masala dosa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 1532634)
Make a visit to SN refreshments in JP Nagar. They have piping hot spicy sambar (cuts through your throat):D for idli's and they are also famous for masala dosa.

Try out Neel restaurant on 100 Ft road connecting Sanjay Nagar main road and New BEL Road infront of Ramiah Super Speciality Hospital. Kind of open air restaurant. Good food and ambience. Fast service. Parking not a problem.