Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 22:31   #571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I second you on that one. Awesome Dosas - so tempting that I could never stop at one.

I hardly get to visit that part of Bangalore now. Just wish it was somewhere on my way to office.
IMHO, Vidyarthi Bhavan has lost its charm. Though people still throng this place, the quality of masala dosas and khlai dosas have dropped drastically. Taste is not as good as 8-10 years back (should agree its still allright). I find CTR in Malleshwaram a better option.

But nothing to beat (Gayathri Tiffin Room)GTR and Mylarri Hotel in Mysore. Every time I visit Mysore I make it a point to have breakfast at any of these places.
Old 7th January 2009, 00:23   #572
BHPian

All right. Time to write a review of one of my favourite Budget Chinese restaurants in South Bangalore. Canton Chinese Bar and Restaurant in Jayanagar. Near ICICI bank junction. I have been going to this place for the last 8-9 years and it still is the same. This place serves some of the finest Chinese food which is better than Chung Wah, Shangarilla or China Pearl in Koramangala among budget Chinese restaurants. Its a nice restaurant where you can sit down in the evening with friends and have a drink or 2 over lip smacking Chinese food. There is a seperate family section too.

The waiters working here have been around for several years now. The decor has remained the same. Can get stuffy sometimes but the air coolers does the job pretty OK. Has 2 levels. Ground floor usually male groups and the first floor for families. There si a huge aquarium at the ground floor. The seats are comfortable with dim lighting with usual Chinese decorations. The restaurant has around 50 seats. Usually crowded in the weekends and No reservations. Try to make it before 7.30 PM on weekends to get a table. The rest rooms are in a bad shape and is on the second floor.

Coming to Food. Slightly Indianised but does keeps the authentic flavors well. You can customise the food as spicy you want the dish to be. There are a lot of items on the menu and can take some time to go through the entire range. Over the years I have tried almost everything on the menu and not been disappointed.

Try the Taippei Chicken, Chinese Chiken Roast, Pork Belly, Pork rashes, Fish/Chicken Manchurian, Schezwan Chicken, Pepper Chicken, Drums of Heaven for Non Vegetarian starters and some Vegetarian starters are Crispy vegetable with garlic sauce, Veg Pakoda (dont remember the name) with garlic sauce, Baby corn/ Gobi Manchurian, Veg Momos.

Main course can be any type of rice or noodles. Some recommendations are Chicken/Veg Schezwan Rice/Noodles with Veg/Chicken Balls in garlic sauce. A meal for 2 can set you back by 250 Rupees (without Beverages). Usually for main course a single plate/bowl of rice/noodles is more than enough for 2 people. Value for Money Chinese food in South Bangalore.

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 7th January 2009 at 00:24.
Old 7th January 2009, 08:52   #573
Team-BHP Support

Went to Koshys - my in laws wanted to go there for a nostalgia trip.

Ordered Korean Spare Ribs, we got charred spare ribs

"That is how it is like Sir! "

Ordered Peking Duck (shredded duck + pancakes + plum sauce)

Everything came except the pancakes so they flung some dinner rolls at us

The bill ain't cheap either!

A big disappointment - stick to the greasy breakfasts and beer. If it was not for the location, appam and stew, they would have gone bankrupt by now
Old 7th January 2009, 11:18   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
I find CTR in Malleshwaram a better option.

But nothing to beat (Gayathri Tiffin Room)GTR and Mylarri Hotel in Mysore. Every time I visit Mysore I make it a point to have breakfast at any of these places.
Really? Then I should try out CTR soon. For me, it's easier to get to Malleswaram than Gandhi Bazaar.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:34   #575
Team-BHP Support

Shawarma lovers around Marathalli can rejoice. There is a new shawarma outlet which has opened near Kalamandir on the ORR. They use kaboos to prepare the shawarma, and is priced at Rs. 35/-.

While the taste isnt perfect, i can live with it.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:10   #576
BHPian

My most frequented joints for last 15 years in B'lore.

Good Shawarmas rolls--> Kabab Manor (R.T. Nagar).
Best Normal rolls--> Fanoos (Johnson market).
Best Bengali Katti rolls--> Nizaams/Lazeez/Best of Bengal (Indiranagar/Commercial Street/Fraser Town).
Best buffets in Kababs--> BBQ Nation (Indiranagar, Koramangla, Jayanagar)
Good punjabi buffet--> Angeethi (Church st- especially the fish fry)
Good Kerala food--> Kairali (Madiwala, next to Christ College)
Good Andra food--> Swagruha/Nagarjuna (Marathahalli RR/ Residency Rd).
Best Carribean buffet--> Sue's Kitchen (Indiranagar)
Best Continental buffet--> Indi Joe (Airport Road)
Best Afghan food--> Samarkand (Infantry Rd)
Best Chinese buffet--> Mainland China (Church St)
Good Chinese--> Shanghai Junction/Chung Wah (Sahakarnagar)
Very Good Chinese/Thai--> Magnolia/Noble House (Koramangla/Infantry Rd)
Best Dosas--> Vidyarthi Bhavan (Gandhi Bazaar)
Best Fish menu--> Something Fishy (Langford Town- exotics like squids & mussels!)
Best Dum Biriyanis--> Hyderabadi Biriyani house (Victoria Road and Adjacent to Kempfort, NOT the one opposite to Forum)
Best Dhaba--> 9th Mile Dhaba/Sanjay Dhaba (Yelahanka/Hebbal).
Great Pub--> Purple Haze (Residency Road- awesome music)
Good veg--> Woody's (Commercial St).
Best parathas--> Lalitha's paratha point (Dickenson Rd)
Best Sweets--> Anand Bhavan (Commercial St).
Best Chaats--> Victoria Chaat house (R.T. Nagar/Sahakarnagar/all over the city)
Best Puffs (veg/egg/chicken)--> Amma's (R.T. Nagar)
Best Cakes--> Nilgiris (brigade and all over the city)

Whew! Long list. Sorry, not much info on veg food though!
Old 7th January 2009, 16:20   #577
BHPian

I stopped eating out from this year. Cost cutting . I and my wife also take lunch packs to office now. We are expecting to save about Rs 3000 per month in this. And yes, I do really miss those yummy stuff you discuss here...
Old 7th January 2009, 21:47   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Went to Koshys - my in laws wanted to go there for a nostalgia trip.

Ordered Korean Spare Ribs, we got charred spare ribs

"That is how it is like Sir! "

Ordered Peking Duck (shredded duck + pancakes + plum sauce)

Everything came except the pancakes so they flung some dinner rolls at us

The bill ain't cheap either!

A big disappointment - stick to the greasy breakfasts and beer. If it was not for the location, appam and stew, they would have gone bankrupt by now
Ajit,thats exactly what I found the last time I went to Koshy's.A bunch of us used to be regulars there while in college,and I went back after a gap of 4-5 years. Some of the stuff we had tasted horrible. A complaint later, we had much better stuff on the table. Nothing to beat the chilli chicken to go with a good peg of Whiskey!
Old 7th January 2009, 22:25   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Really? Then I should try out CTR soon. For me, it's easier to get to Malleswaram than Gandhi Bazaar.
Yeah CBlazer. Benne Masala Dosa aka Butter Masala Dosa is in high demand at this place. The size is pretty small and I can easily devour 2-3 at one sitting. Dosas only with Chutney (no sambar) followed by filter coffee will make your day. Its at 7th Cross Margosa road. While you wait for the Dosa you can munch on the Mangaluru Bajjis which are pretty good. I think the restaurant is now named Sri Sagar (Formerly CTR)

Cheers!!

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 7th January 2009 at 22:28.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:36   #580
BANNED

Green Annexe on Sarjapura Road, just beyond Wipro towards Sarjapura, never ceases to amaze with VFM. This is the same place we went to when hvkumar came here in September and again after the Sarjapura OTR.

Good food, nicely priced beverages - all in all, fantastic VFM.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:47   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
Now I'm just waiting for January 11th 2009 (Take a note my friends!), when me and another foodie buddy (This guy can beat me hands down!) visit our dear BBQ Nation again. So if any of you do want to join in, and watch the spectacle of your lives- do join us.. and let justice be done!
Any updates ? Waiting to hear your story !!!
Old 12th January 2009, 19:03   #582
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if it's already mentioned here, but Veena Stores on Margosa road Malleswaram for idlies and chutney which are out of the world. Liked it so much that I've been there twice back to back.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:40   #583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I don't know if it's already mentioned here, but Veena Stores on Margosa road Malleswaram for idlies and chutney which are out of the world. Liked it so much that I've been there twice back to back.
Yup Hari, I mentioned it looooong back. I'm a regular there.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:27   #584
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone heard of a restaurant in Indiranagar, called 'Taste of Bengal' ?
Old 15th January 2009, 00:00   #585
Senior - BHPian

Best Steaks in bangalore i feel is Elements on NandiDurga Road... ive tried millers 46 also but elements steaks are way better.
Best Vada Sambar/ Masala dosa i feel is in Hotel Janatha Malleswaram 18th cross VFM also and amazing food(ive been goin there from the past 15 years its too good !!!)
Kabab manors rolls are good but im sick of eating em as i stay in RT nagar n used to go there often before.
Best Biriyani Ricihies -Mosque Road Frazer town
Ive eaten in Vidhyarthi Bhavan but dint like the dosa that much
Gr8 Thread especially for a foodie Like Me

For Chicken ROLL fans There's a road just parallel to MS Ramaiah College a small Mess called appaji mess(i think) is there right next to it a small shop where you can see a guy making rolls...
According to me best place for Rolls in bangalore (any one passing by this area please try this roll is just too darn good)

Last edited by vinaydas : 15th January 2009 at 00:15.

Most Viewed