Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 08:13   #976
BHPian

Shiok is closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
thats sad. But Shiok is still there right.
Bestest chinese/Thai food in Bangalore
Shiok is also closing down on March 31st.

Shiok Closing - FAQ

-- Wind
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:01   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Meghna's is brilliant. They have opened a new outlet in Jayanagr 4th block, practically NEXT to my house and all my weight-loss plans have gone for a huge six.
+1, Whenever I did visit Koramangala during lunch time, Meghna's was the place to go
Quote:
DESMONDS

Old-timers will remember Tycoons on Infantry road, next to Safina Plaza. The guy who owned it, Desmond Rice, had to close the restaurant down due to some issues. I think it because the restaurant was in the basement and that was the time the BBMP was closing down basements.

I've been going to Tycoons since I can remember. And my earliest memory of eating out was Tycoons! They had a waterfall and we always tried to get a table next to that. There was a small wooden bridge as well and I remember the 5 year old Nikhil was highly amused by standing on it and seeing the fishes swim below.

My order there ever since I can remember has been

1). Minced Chicken Steak with mushroom sauce. No vegetables, but lots of french fries.

2). Caramel Custard.

Later on, I added a chicken Salad to the order.

A little note about the food.

The chicken steak used to be awesome. The mushroom sauce they used was different from ANY other mushroom sauce I've ever had.

The Caramel Custard is quite simply the best I've ever had. They give it with cream. And not just a small dollop of cream at the top, but sweetened cream in a cup to pour on the custard!

I felt really sad when they closed down.

The owner opened another restaurant called "Desmonds" on Lavelle Road. He also opened a branch in Koramanagala. Have never been to the Koramanagala one. However, we went to the Lavelle Road branch recently and oh boy! It was FANTASTIC!!

Almost 20 years have passed since I've been coming and the taste remains EXACTLY the same! It still tastes fantastic.

The Caramel Custard is just awesome. My sister had the New York Baked Cheesecake and it was fantastic as well! It is by far one of the best cheesecakes I've had in Bangalore. Rarely do you find a cheesecake which is cheesy enough without being just a block of sweetened cheese.

I must say, Desmonds is worth a visit for the desserts at least.

They also have some really good Indian, Italian and Continental dishes.
Believe it or not, Minced Chicken Steak (with French fires) & Caramel custard were the only things I have ordered there till date, although I have been there only a few times. I have been only to the Lavelle road restaurant.

Quote:
Had been to Taco Bell today.

Food is quite good. As with most junk food, you cant eat too much of the same thing. And it is best eaten hot as the tacos get soft after a while.

The taste is very very similar to the taste you get in the American outlets. There is a massive difference in taste at McDs and to some extent at KFC as well. However, with Taco Bell, the taste is almost identical.

The system they follow is also very nice and organised. Of course, if you can help it, please dont go during the weekends.

Mantri Square Mall was so crowded, by 7:20pm, they had closed all the doors to enter the mall. They were only allowing people to exit. No one was allowed to enter. It was that crowded. It was quite insane.

I overheard the manager/owner of Taco Bell telling someone that yesterday, they had to allow people to enter in batches. Open the doors, allow people to come in and in 3 minutes the restaurant was full. They would close the restaurant for 10 mins and then open it again. He says he lost a lot of customers and that is why today he just kept it open all the while.
Even I had been to Taco bell last week. It was pretty crowded and there very little space over there. If you have noticed the stairs to go to the lower floor, it is pretty much one way traffic.

I liked the Tacos though. You have to eat it while they are crunchy. The other thing I did not like is the waiting in a separate line to collect you order. This was a complete mess the other day with the guy at the counter calling out ticket numbers and there was a mad rush to get it.

One more good thing is their 'Freefill' option for beverages. Unlimited beverages provided you hold onto your cup. No cup, no drink

I will definitely visit again after the initial hype dies down.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:10   #978
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Guys
If you like Non Veg grub you must try Tunday Kabab in Koramangala near JNC above Lazeez.

Especially Tunday Parathas and Tunday Mutton Kabab - Wonderful.
Also their "Phirni" - tasty stuff.

Their Biryani is very good - very little oil and the rice is feathery.
Amongst the best quality that Ive tasted.

Forget ambience, just eat their food. You'll definitely go back for "seconds".
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:11   #979
BHPian

For those who like coastal sea food, please try out coast II coast in koramangla. I suppose the dishes are of mangalorean origin. For 85 bucks you get the fish thali which is actually pretty nice and is worth the money. You also get some good calamari there.

Found yet another VFM restaurant on the Jyoti nivas road, its called mani's dum biriyani. The biryani is good, but not excellent. The quantity is very good and the fried chicken wings are pretty nice too. Stay away from the prawn items though. The best part is the price of the dish includes the taxes. liked the fresh lime soda there.
Old 22nd March 2010, 16:14   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Latheesh ---

You can try Chillies on Old Airport Road.

Had been to Taco Bell today.

Food is quite good. As with most junk food, you cant eat too much of the same thing. And it is best eaten hot as the tacos get soft after a while.

The taste is very very similar to the taste you get in the American outlets. There is a massive difference in taste at McDs and to some extent at KFC as well. However, with Taco Bell, the taste is almost identical.
Thanks for the info, good to know that taste is identical to their US counterpart. I'll explore these options one my medication is over, planning to send my friends to these place this weekend. Hope they sort out the initial service issue soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
+1,

One more good thing is their 'Freefill' option for beverages. Unlimited beverages provided you hold onto your cup. No cup, no drink
I do not know how this unlimited beverage option work here in India. Almost all food outlets in US offer unlimited beverages but funny part is they still have small/medium/large cup options, wonder why.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:36   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
For those who like coastal sea food, please try out coast II coast in koramangla. I suppose the dishes are of mangalorean origin. For 85 bucks you get the fish thali which is actually pretty nice and is worth the money. You also get some good calamari there.
There's also Kubay a stone s throw away from CoastIICoast. Serves good sea food.
Old 22nd March 2010, 18:45   #982
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried Coastal Junction @ Indira Nagar 80ft road?
Old 22nd March 2010, 20:28   #983
BHPian

Went back to an old favourite last saturday - Miller's 46. Its as good today as it was 8 or so years back when I first ate there. The steaks and starters are great and pretty reasonably priced. Decent veg options too and their iced tea is excellent.
The negatives? Their chairs are not very comfortable. A pity. Also they give you cutlery with strange wiggly handles. Looks good but impractical.
Another place I used to like was Koshy's but have not gone back after a really disappointing meal 2 years ago.
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:04   #984
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree 100% with Roy. Miller's is an awesome place but chairs are uncomfortable and the cutlery is awkward to use.

They have some awesome chicken wings They have introduced some new "Southern Fried Chicken" which is also pretty nice!

The fresh lime soda sweet-salt is the best at Miller's 46. I always order this and have never found a place where they make it better than Miller's 46.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh
Thanks for the info, good to know that taste is identical to their US counterpart. I'll explore these options one my medication is over, planning to send my friends to these place this weekend. Hope they sort out the initial service issue soon.
There is no service issue to be sorted out. I felt the service is good itself. The people were being pushed to their limits, but they were patient, spoke nicely to all the customers and didnt make a fuss if one of the customers lost his cool.
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:37   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Meghna's is brilliant. They have opened a new outlet in Jayanagr 4th block, practically NEXT to my house and all my weight-loss plans have gone for a huge six.
Could you please tell the exact location?I too stay in 4th block.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:21   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Anyone tried Coastal Junction @ Indira Nagar 80ft road?
Tried a sit-in buffet, Nothing was tasty, they charge Rs 450 for it. It kerala style Appam was more like Dosa, kerala parota not good. And guess what the dessert was a simple Savige payasa and i could not finish it also.

Really regretted going there, Catch marine in 100 FT road is way better than coastal junction and its 250 bugs cheaper.

Last edited by shamanth : 23rd March 2010 at 10:23.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:20   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Puneeth --- Meghana's is opposite the 4th block Coffee Day(near La Casa).
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:33   #988
BHPian

Thanks dude.Can anyone please tell me if the mcdonalds near channapatna on bangalore mysore road will be open 24 hours?Please urgent.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:50   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

I have no idea. Sorry. I doubt it though. Because I passed that place early one morning and peeped inside. Saw all the chairs stacked on the tables.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:53   #990
BANNED

i have been to this placed called "Holiday Village" off kanakapura road. Pretty good ambiance and nice food. Can visit with your friends, family or girl. Pretty affordable. Close to 300 rs/person without alcohol.

Most Viewed