Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 18:20   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Harbor Market - wasn't this the one owned by filmstar Mohanlal? ...
Yes, that's the one. Though a trifle expensive, they were polished in both service and presentation. Most of the dishes were well prepared and presented. Not sure why they started renovating (that's what they said) within 2 years.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:17   #1232
BHPian

query to all the fish lovers - this weekend happened to go shopping for fresh fish and noticed a particular variety in a tub of water still very much alive. there were lots of them one of top of another. they looked slippery, dark-skinned and like a snake. iam sure it was not an eel. it wasn't that thin. it had barbels near its mouth.
the fish monger was having a tough time killing it. he had to hit it repeatedly on its head to send it to sleep!

Due to the rush there, couldn't enquire with him about the fish.
1. do you guys know what fish iam talking about here?
2. what is it called in english and malayalam?
3. is it freshwater or saltwater fish?
4. does it taste better for curry or frying?

Last edited by WindRide : 29th June 2010 at 12:19.
Old 29th June 2010, 17:34   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
query to all the fish lovers - this weekend happened to go shopping for fresh fish and noticed a particular variety in a tub of water still very much alive. there were lots of them one of top of another. they looked slippery, dark-skinned and like a snake. iam sure it was not an eel. it wasn't that thin. it had barbels near its mouth.
the fish monger was having a tough time killing it. he had to hit it repeatedly on its head to send it to sleep!

Due to the rush there, couldn't enquire with him about the fish.
1. do you guys know what fish iam talking about here?
2. what is it called in english and malayalam?
3. is it freshwater or saltwater fish?
4. does it taste better for curry or frying?
Don't know the taste but that's freshwater Catfish. Refer "Walking catfish" in Wiki, you'll get more details.
Old 29th June 2010, 17:44   #1234
Team-BHP Support

Last Sunday, I'd been to Fish Land in Gandhinagar and it hasn't changed in over 30 years. Funny thing is that, I'm 20, so I wouldn't know. But that's exactly what my dad had to say after we began to dig into our plates.

We'd ordered 3 'Special Thalis' for the three of us of course. Each 'Special Thali' comes with a big bowl of rice and a bowl of the most authentic fish curry one could acquire, this side of the Konkan coast. It was absolutely fantastic! Oh and you did get the regular accompaniments such as curd, rasam, etc. The only difference between a 'Regular Thali' and a 'Special Thali' is that you get one fish-fry along with the 'Special Thali' It costs Rs. 130/-

For sea-food lovers, this place is highly recommended!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th June 2010 at 18:02.
Old 29th June 2010, 17:57   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Last Sunday, I'd been to Fish Land in Gandhinagar and it hasn't changed in over 30 years. Funny thing is that, I'm 20, so I wouldn't know. But that's exactly what my dad had to say after we began to dig into our plates.

We'd ordered for 3 'Special Thalis' for the three of us of course. Each 'Special Thali' comes with a big bowl of rice and a bowl of the most authentic fish curry one could acquire, this side of the Konkan coast. It was absolutely fantastic! Oh and you did get the regular accompaniments such as curd, rasam, etc. The only difference between a 'Regular Thali' and a 'Special Thali' is that you get one fish-fry along with the 'Special Thali' It costs Rs. 130/-

For sea-food lovers, this place is highly recommended!
+1, It's been a while since I went there. Now that you've reminded me about this, I'll have to make time and visit it soon.

One more thing. Those who are looking for ambience can forget this place. This is basically a no-frills place which serves lovely food.
Old 29th June 2010, 18:09   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Favourite Food Joints in Bangalore-Confessions of a Foodie

Being a major and die hard foodie (thats almost a defining characteristic of all Bengalis), Ive been an avid follower of all the Eating Out threads on TBHP, however have not contributed very significantly. Now having said that, I do keep cheking out different food joints in Bangalore, and therefore wanted to share my all time favourites amongst the ones Ive chanced to stumble upon, or patronised regularly. ALso keep in mind that being from a middle class background, I favour places which are more VFM, rather than places where the ambience is premium, though the food nothing to write home about. My choices below would reflect this sentiment very clearly:

(1) Lazeez, Koramangala: The very best if you take into account its honest to goodness prices and rich taste of Mughlai khana- Im talking ultra rich kormas, kalias, chaap, tikka butter masalas, and parathas here. And of course, their biryani is to die for. Its nothing like the biryani that is the so called "Andhra style". The mughlai biryani is lighter on the spices, frangrant, subtle tastes, and really really aromatic. The biryani is to die for, and Kolkatans on TBHP will vouch that this is the closest that one can get to the biryani that is popular in Kolkata. Meal for two HEARTY eaters would be in the range of 300-500 bucks, and I challenge anyone to want to do anything but take a nap after a good meal at Lazeez. In my books, this is a must have, and I am a regular patron here.

(2) Arsalan is the newer kid on the block. Pretty much after the style of Lazeez, a wee bit pricier, but better in terms of quality. This is yet another Kolkata chain, and its a name well renown in foodie circles. Bear in mind thoug, that Lazeez and Arsalan have very litle to offer hard core vegetarians.

Non veg lovers, you need to look no further than these two spots, for hearty and satisfying Mughlai fare for really reasonable prices.

(3) Chinese: Im not much of a Chinese food fanboy, but left with no choice, I would go to either Chungs or Chung Wah. Pretty much value for money food, large quantities, hearty fare. Nothing gourmet about it, btu satisfying when the stomach craves chilli chicken and noodles. Canton in Jayanagar is also pretty good, and is a name lots of people swear by as far as Chinese grub goes.

(4) Continental: My top three picks would be the Only Place, Casa Pecola and Kobe's. The steaks are really awesome here, well cooked, cooked to your style, great variety between the three restaurants, and very good quantities that are served. Try the Chicken Satellite Steak at Kobes, its really yum and my God, hell of a filling steak!!

Yet again, I reiterate that I am not much in favour of expensive places like Sunnys, since IMHO, I end up paying a premium more for a slice of history, than for stunning food. But thats just me.

(5) Bengali: If anyone of you is interested in trying good Bengali cuisine, I would recommend Bhojohori Manna opposite Koramangala Club. Try the Kosha Mangsho (Dry and Spicy Mutton/Chicken), Luchi and Cholar Dal (Bengaliu style puris and dal) and of course a plethora of fish options are also available. Its reasonably priced, and the quality of food is pretty good. Again this is a Kolkata based chain. Recommended.

6 Ballygunj Place is the other pricier option, though I hear they've got some good stuff being churned out of the kitchen.

Amongst all of the above, my top three picks would be Bhojohori Manna, Arsalan and the Only Place. SO if you have just one day in Bangalore, and are a foodie, you know where to head for your fixes of sinful, but delightfully mouth watering, food.

Cheers!!
Old 29th June 2010, 18:49   #1237
BHPian

Casa Picola

Hi guys,

I found that Casa Picola on Cunningham road & Jayanagar; both are closed.

Is the complete chain closed ? or they shifted the restaurants ?

It was my Favourite place for continental food and now I am disappointed.
Old 29th June 2010, 18:58   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
Hi guys,

Not sure about the other branches but I do not think that the chain is closed since the one in Kamanahalli opposite the JVV entrance is operational.
Old 30th June 2010, 00:05   #1239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
+1, It's been a while since I went there. Now that you've reminded me about this, I'll have to make time and visit it soon.

One more thing. Those who are looking for ambience can forget this place. This is basically a no-frills place which serves lovely food.
Absolutely!

It's simple, no-nonsense Konkan fare that's tasty enough to render you speechless! Although the same can't be said about the ambiance; but people go there for the fish curry-rice and the sear fish that's fried to a golden brown, not the tables and chairs and the ceiling.

In fact, this place is so popular, that you will almost never get a table when you enter. The crowd, especially on weekday-afternoons, is a little scary!

Quote:
Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Not sure about the other branches but I do not think that the chain is closed since the one in Kamanahalli opposite the JVV entrance is operational.
You can't be serious!

I hope they haven't shut shop on CMH road too! That would be a real heart-breaker!
Old 30th June 2010, 00:07   #1240
BANNED

Quote:
Hi guys,

There was one close to my office on CMH road.

The Firang owner was my customer, But honestly, i never liked anything there.
Old 30th June 2010, 00:15   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

The one at Devatha plaza (Residency Rd) is still open. I spent a lot of time in the Cunningham Rd Casa and really miss it. I remember they used to have barbeque Saturdays in the late '90s. However at the risk of sounding like an old man I'd like to say that it is just not as good as it used to be. The place was at its peak till about 2001 and then hit a bit of a downslide from which it never entirely came out of. Pity.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:21   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Don't know the taste but that's freshwater Catfish. Refer "Walking catfish" in Wiki, you'll get more details.
That's one slimy yucky looking fish! Am sure it will look much better on my plate either swimming in tamarind curry or bathed in coconut oil and deep fried

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Last Sunday, I'd been to Fish Land in Gandhinagar ...
Is this place anywhere near to mysore bank circle in majestic?
Old 30th June 2010, 12:27   #1243
BHPian

Quote:

Is this place anywhere near to mysore bank circle in majestic?
Its next to hatrick and olympic sports, which is near kamat restaurant and also somewhat near to national market.

Edit: @windride, That catfish does not taste that good. The skin is really thick and I did not like it. Its better you stay off it, or just buy one small one to get rid of your doubt.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 30th June 2010 at 12:46.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:57   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's one slimy yucky looking fish! Am sure it will look much better on my plate either swimming in tamarind curry or bathed in coconut oil and deep fried
It is a freshwater fish, not saltwater one. I avoid all freshwater fishes as I am not sure what kind of (polluted?) water they have been grown in. It might have high amount of toxic contents.

I prefer sea fishes (from Arabian sea).

I think Malayalam for this fish is thedu.
Old 30th June 2010, 13:03   #1245
Distinguished - BHPian

CAsa Piccola in Jayanagar was going to the dogs. Ridiculous portions, no taste whatsoever in any dish(except the desserts) and horrible service.

Most Viewed