Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 10:49   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Not sure how many of you have heard about this small little place called 'Luo Han' in HSR Layout. They a vegetarian Chinese/Thai restaurant, and the amount of choices one has here on the menu are mind blowing despite being a veg only place.

If one can get to bear the painfully slow service of this place, the food is absolutely worth every penny. Being a hard core non-vegetarian, I can say that eating here I don't feel the need for non-veg in my dishes

For folks in and around HSR looking for some really good vegetarian Chinese food this is a must try, and the best part is that its very very light on the pocket. A meal for two is about 300-450/- depending on how much is your appetite.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:54   #2282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Not sure how many of you have heard about this small little place called 'Luo Han' in HSR Layout. They a vegetarian Chinese/Thai restaurant, and the amount of choices one has here on the menu are mind blowing despite being a veg only place.

If one can get to bear the painfully slow service of this place, the food is absolutely worth every penny. Being a hard core non-vegetarian, I can say that eating here I don't feel the need for non-veg in my dishes

For folks in and around HSR looking for some really good vegetarian Chinese food this is a must try, and the best part is that its very very light on the pocket. A meal for two is about 300-450/- depending on how much is your appetite.
Sounds good for a friday night try-out. Where in HSR layout is this located? I will check it out tomorrow night with my friends
Old 5th July 2012, 10:56   #2283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Sounds good for a friday night try-out. Where in HSR layout is this located? I will check it out tomorrow night with my friends
Not recommended for a Friday night thingie

Its very very laid back, a little too laid back for a Friday night!

Its opposite the Pizza Hut on 27th Main.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:58   #2284
BHPian

Can someone recommend a momo centre in bangalore? Ive tried the ones in Phoenix Mall, Indo Dubai Plaza and Infinitea and Namdharis also a few on Brigade road. But nothing tastes as good as the ones i get in Darjeeling.

Any recommendations?

Btw Howrah Bridge in Phoenix Mall turned out to be pretty good. The rolls were delicious. Mmm hmm. And even the other food. Eagerly waiting for Durga Puja to get here.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:10   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Can someone recommend a momo centre in bangalore? Ive tried the ones in Phoenix Mall, Indo Dubai Plaza and Infinitea and Namdharis also a few on Brigade road.
Have momos only from places where you are sure about hygiene and authenticity of what goes inside. There has been stories going around that something else goes inside instead of chicken, especially the ones sold at the smallish eateries and joints.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:19   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva

Have momos only from places where you are sure about hygiene and authenticity of what goes inside. There has been stories going around that something else goes inside instead of chicken, especially the ones sold at the smallish eateries and joints.
Yes thats there. Vegetarian momos seem to be the only option. Though i did like the chicken one at dubai plaza and infinitea but the steaming is not done properly.

on another note infinitea charges way too much. In my native i pay 20rs for a plate of 10 chicken momos. Whereas here ive had to pay 10 times that amount for just 8 momos. Maybe i sound cheap or not something a metropolitan dweller should say but I call a spade a spade. And the momos bought with 20rs taste much better than the 200rs ones. I find food overpriced in Bangalore. How many agree with me?
Old 5th July 2012, 11:27   #2287
Senior - BHPian

I have heard rave reviews about Momo Hut in Koramangala, though never been there personally.

Quote:
I find food overpriced in Bangalore. How many agree with me?
All depends on what and where you eat
Old 5th July 2012, 11:33   #2288
BHPian

Quote:

This is one of our regular eat-out joint if we want to go vegetarian for a change. I've been going there since the past 4 years, and the food has been consistently good, all the time.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:52   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful
I have heard rave reviews about Momo Hut in Koramangala, though never been there personally.

All depends on what and where you eat
Sir where does this Momo hut come? Willing to give it a try this week.
Old 5th July 2012, 12:44   #2290
BHPian

Quote:

That would definitely be worth trying. Can you give directions/land marks to reach this place?
thanks.
Old 5th July 2012, 12:56   #2291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And the momos bought with 20rs taste much better than the 200rs ones. I find food overpriced in Bangalore. How many agree with me?
You couldn't be more right.

I find that I pay a whole lot more in Bangalore for a whole lot less. Wherever I go. Whether it's street food or some fancy place. But Bangalore is a great place for street-food and foodies. There is so much on offer. Heck, those Highway On My Plate guys were required to cover the city more than two times!

Where do you get good Momos in Bangalore? I found the ones in Taste Of Tibet (Dubai Plaza) extremely oily!
Old 5th July 2012, 13:07   #2292
BHPian

I like the Momos (both fried and steamed) at Popseys; its located in the lane opposite Chung Wah on JNC road, K'Mgla.
Old 5th July 2012, 13:19   #2293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
That would definitely be worth trying. Can you give directions/land marks to reach this place?
thanks.
Here's the place :- Click!

Last edited by praful : 5th July 2012 at 13:21.
Old 5th July 2012, 13:48   #2294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307

You couldn't be more right.

I find that I pay a whole lot more in Bangalore for a whole lot less. Wherever I go. Whether it's street food or some fancy place. But Bangalore is a great place for street-food and foodies. There is so much on offer. Heck, those Highway On My Plate guys were required to cover the city more than two times!

Where do you get good Momos in Bangalore? I found the ones in Taste Of Tibet (Dubai Plaza) extremely oily!
You should visit Kolkata or even my native Siliguri once. Love the street food there. And if you are not that fussy about how the food comes youd have a better time. I remember doing on road from kolkata to siliguri once. Had a stop in Malda. Found a nice little homely restaurant near the bus stand. Had tasted amazing fish curry and rice and dal over there. And the cooking was very hygienic as an old aunty was managing it.
Even Delhi used to be awesomely cheap but now prices have caught up with the rest of the metros.

Yo china serves good momos or dimsums but they are nowhere to be seen these days. When i visit Delhi thats where i go other than Dilli Haat and CR Park. Paranthewaali gali is ok ok. And all the small hotels spread out across delhi serve decent fare. Especially the kababs.

Lets all meet up during Durga Puja in Palace grounds. They serve good steamed momos there. Bit costly around 80 a plate i think but it was good. And the biryani there also tastes great. Did end up having food poisoning though from the cutlet we had there. Hence i trust only the freshly cooked food. Like rolls, momos and luchi aloor dom.
Momos and dimsums are same btw. Major mistake i made in Mainland China thinking it would be different.
Tibetan plaza momos ya definitely oily but i went there 3 days back and it was good. Dint like the phoenix mall momo centre. Ok ok kind. The ones selling momos near rex theatre i had tried. It was good but way overpriced.

Lets have a tbhp meet in Durga Puja. I tell you i gain atleast 5 kgs during that time

P.s even the street food in Bengaluru has skyscraper prices.
Cheers!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 5th July 2012 at 13:50.
Old 5th July 2012, 15:04   #2295
Team-BHP Support

I'd recently visited Kolkata and sampled the food that it has to offer. I was simply blown away. Sure, some places don't make it hygienically but you only live once so..

The Momos I had in Kolkata costed me 15 bucks a plate and they are, to date, the best Momos I've ever had. Even better than the plate of Momos they serve in Mainland China. Which by the way costs 20 times over 15 bucks!

Most Viewed