Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 16:50   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
KC Das doesn't hold a candle to these guys!

But I sill love Bangalore, despite the steep prices of everything and the obscurity of other things.
For someone who has spent 18 years gorging on street food in Calcutta, the KC Das here (i.e. in Bangalore) in comparison is a dismal, dismal excuse for the kind of sweets one gets in Calcutta (though for someone who has not had the authentic stuff in Calcutta, it may well seem decent). And once you come to the absolutely ridiculous prices they charge, its the last nail in the coffin! However, there are unfortunately very few choices here in Bangalore for Bengali sweets or other kind of chatpata items , so one either goes to KCD or to Bancharam in Koramangla for their fix.

There is no doubt about the fact the quality and economy wise, there is very little to beat Calcutta, and that holds good for any kind of street food, Mughlai food, Indianised Chinese food, and of course, sweets!

By the way- did you have any non veg Mughlai food? Biryabi, chaap, rolls, kababs, parathas? The original Nizams, Shiraz etc. are some of the places which are minblowingly good for these.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 9th July 2012 at 17:04.
Old 10th July 2012, 16:00   #2312
BHPian

Had been to the following places over the last four weeks:

1) Punjab Grill - 5th Block near Forum, Koramangala:

Amazing interiors/ambiance - good fast service, but strictly Mediocre food - Ordered both Veg and Non Veg - Not worth the money paid. Expense - 2.5K for 2.

2) Firangi Paani - Forum, Koramangala - Had drinks and Samosa Patti - was a good experience. They have really long happy hours which starts at about 11 to 07:30 or 8:30 pm. Cant really recollect.

3) Saahib Sindh Sultan - Forum, Koramangala - Bad and slow service, waiters there had difficulty in understanding what we wanted, mixed up our orders with other tables. Food was average. Not that expensive. We 3 spent about 600 per head

4) Daily Bread, Koramangala- Went to this really sweet and nice place in Koramangala - Extremely clean, played good music, very nice sandwiches and French fries served with the sandwiches were lip-smacking. Very good ambiance too. Just be sure to know/understand your order as the Waitress there couldn't explain any of the dishes to us But overall very happy with this place.

5) Jukebox Koramangala - a really old place in Koramangala - good for really casual meetings/catch ups. Very informal place - good food. We ordered fish finger chips and beer. Not too cheap not too expensive. Good place.

6) Empire Koramangala - Am doubtful if theres anyone who doesn't know or haven't gone to this place Very popular since it opens until real late. Good for non veg malayali dishes.
Old 11th July 2012, 12:33   #2313
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to 6 Ballygunge Place in Indiranagar last weekend. Felt the food was simple, tasty and the cost was reasonable when compared to similar places

Note: Not sure how it fares from an 'Authentic Bengali food' perspective.
Old 11th July 2012, 13:35   #2314
Team-BHP Support

We had tried this French/Italian place on 100ft Road Indiranagar over the weekend. It's called Medici. We were thoroughly impressed! The ambiance is great and service was good too, but what blew us away was the food which was delicate, succulent and flavorsome. It is pricey but totally worth a visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
By the way- did you have any non veg Mughlai food? Biryabi, chaap, rolls, kababs, parathas? The original Nizams, Shiraz etc. are some of the places which are minblowingly good for these.
Oh of course!

I had biryani 5 times over in Calcutta and still wanted more!

I love the subtle flavours in these biryanis, unlike the biryanis you get in Bangalore. Either they're too spicy or too bland. Or just plain NOT biryani

Tried several rolls too and was pretty pleased.
Old 11th July 2012, 14:00   #2315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh of course!

I had biryani 5 times over in Calcutta and still wanted more!

I love the subtle flavours in these biryanis, unlike the biryanis you get in Bangalore. Either they're too spicy or too bland. Or just plain NOT biryani

Tried several rolls too and was pretty pleased.
Good going. It is for that particular taste that I am a regular patron at Lazeez in Bangalore. Probably the only place here that gives the authentic Calcutta biryani taste, albeit at a much higher price than payable in Calcutta.
Old 21st July 2012, 15:55   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Any place here where in can find Haleem.?
Old 21st July 2012, 16:29   #2317
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD
Tunday Kabab and Hyderabad House in Koramangala.
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:17   #2318
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
There are many places where you will get haleem during Ramzan.

My personal choice is a place in Shivajinagar next to the Hotel Empire opposite the main Russel market. (diagonally opp Beef market) Its a paan shop where the shopkeeper sells haleem only during Ramzaan. Amazing with just the right consistency and yummy gravy poured on top, topped with a sprinkling of browned onions and cilantro . freshly squeezed lemon for taste.

Ive been enjoying it from many years and would highly recommend it

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 22nd July 2012 at 00:22.
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:58   #2319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I visit Fanoos for my Haleem fix every Ramadan. You must try it there. Haven't tried it anywhere else.

I do like Haleem, but I prefer my meat chewy (something I can bite and sink my teeth into) rather than pasty. It's definitely nice nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

My personal choice is a place in Shivajinagar next to the Hotel Empire opposite the main Russel market.
Definitely going to try this place. Thanks Nirmal!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd July 2012 at 00:59.
Old 22nd July 2012, 18:27   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent!

The Shiro Dimsums are the best I've had in Bangalore. I nearly overdosed on that the last time! Burrp!
Try the Dimsum lunch at the Oberoi, MG road. Probably the best Dimsums I've ever had in Bangalore. The lunch, which includes soup, appetizers, unlimited dimsums, sticky rice and desert is 1200 per pax tax included, but excluding tips.

So lunch for two will cost around 2500 inclusive of tax with a bottle of mineral water thrown in.
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:18   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Tunday Kabab and Hyderabad House in Koramangala.
Quote:
My personal choice is a place in Shivajinagar next to the Hotel Empire opposite the main Russel market. (diagonally opp Beef market) Its a paan shop where the shopkeeper sells haleem only during Ramzaan. Amazing with just the right consistency and yummy gravy poured on top, topped with a sprinkling of browned onions and cilantro . freshly squeezed lemon for taste.
Quote:
I visit Fanoos for my Haleem fix every Ramadan. You must try it there. Haven't tried it anywhere else.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I will visit all these places for sure.

Missing Hyderabad like crazy
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:46   #2322
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I will visit all these places for sure.

Meghana Biriyani in Koramangala. Very tasty Biriyani. Had it last week.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:53   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow Hyderabadi here. I just can't wait for September when I will be in Hyd. On the Hyd thread folks could soon be planning a haleem meetup. Any interest here in doing the same? We could checkout a few places have some haleem, biryani and khubani ka meetha. The latter I hope we can get somewhere in bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Meghana Biriyani in Koramangala. Very tasty Biriyani. Had it last week.
Couple of times I enjoyed the biryani here was at the restaurant itself. The few times I have had takeout I got burned. The rice turned squishy moist and too much masala all over the place. I always have the one with bone. I don't like the boneless/special biryani one here. They add too much food color here too. I am still hunting for a good hyderabad biryani joint in south bangalore.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th July 2012 at 11:35. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 11:13   #2324
BHPian

Quote:
There are many places where you will get haleem during Ramzan.

Ive been enjoying it from many years and would highly recommend it
Nirmal, Thanks a ton. Tried it yesterday, and i must say it was Yummylacious.

Old 24th July 2012, 12:37   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Ive tried Haleem at these places

1, Pista house Haleem @ Mosque road-It was great
2, Zaoq Haleem @ MM Road-Chicken haleem was great &
3, Hotel Savera @ MM Road-Average.

Today, i will visit the shivajinagar outlet mentioned by nirmal.

Most Viewed