Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 15:11   #2896
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
^^^ whoa boy, that was hotter than the shorsher tel ...
Reminded me of a Clapton song: "Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself ..."! My words, none of which were directed at you, must have rubbed you the wrong way - possibly the mustard oil went to the wrong places. You displayed the same arrogance that I wrote about, when you said "its not arrogance or a refusal to adapt to diverse preferences" - please look up the dictionary for what the word means. Harima on Residency Road serves more veg Sushi than non-veg, and only ignoramuses would expect them to serve idlies. And, in case someone is eating Sushi for the first time, they will graciously teach how to.

If you want to offend others, at least get your spellings right. Or did you want to say "Fascist" and change your mind at the last moment? Probably you should ask your mother or see Bengali cuisine shows to know what the world outside does. I am sure you are not aware that most of the Bong restaurants use cooks from the other side of the border, who try to make the food as authentic as in their house.

Oh Calcutta cannot be considered a Bengali restaurant beyond the evocation of Calcutta, even though they serve better Bong food than is cooked in many houses. Anjan Chatterjee started it as Only Fish in Mumbai, so he is not the typical Bong restaurateur I described - totally different vision and business focus. And he doesn't depend on expats to give him business. He serves Smoked Hilsa, which I am sure most of the hallowed Kokata institutions or their Bangalore derivatives AND the expats would consider sacrilege or blasphemy.

While it is OK to be proud of one's ethnicity, it is parochial not to accept criticism. And it is even worse to criticize another person with a personal attack, especially when you don't have the facts right and don't know the person.
Old 15th August 2013, 18:40   #2897

eating 'OUT' in bangalore

Hi guys.. I was looking for places which serve food in your car in Bangalore... I am on a wheelchair and hence don't like getting inside these restaurants. I prefer if the food is served to me in my car.. I normally go out with a few friends and family.. I do not mind good dhabas and stuff too but not on the outskirts of the city. Any suggestions ?
Old 15th August 2013, 19:49   #2898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif Sayani View Post
Hi guys.. I was looking for places which serve food in your car in Bangalore... I am on a wheelchair and hence don't like getting inside these restaurants. I prefer if the food is served to me in my car.. I normally go out with a few friends and family.. I do not mind good dhabas and stuff too but not on the outskirts of the city. Any suggestions ?
I don't know if they serve everything for those in the car but I have seen people having food in car at the Empire, 80 ft rd Indira nagar, but only in the night.
Old 15th August 2013, 19:54   #2899
BHPian

Quote:
When I think of food served in the car, the first thing that comes to mind is Richie Rich near Anandrao circle. It was quite famous back then but don't know how it is now.
Old 15th August 2013, 20:13   #2900
BHPian

Re: eating 'OUT' in bangalore

Quote:
Sukh Sagar in Jaynagar 4th block serves food in the car. I have had food there many times in my car.
Old 15th August 2013, 21:09   #2901
Team-BHP Support

We'd been to Smoke House Deli for lunch today.

The food was good and the ambiance, great! Service too, was as good as it gets. But it's quite pricey. Worth trying if you like Continental fare.

Quote:
Airlines Hotel off Lavelle Road.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:42   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys.. I was looking for places which serve food in your car in Bangalore ...
Almost all restaurants which are at street level with street parking nearby, will serve you food in your car. They may not have the trays with brackets to mount on the door, but they will definitely give it to you on a tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
... Richie Rich near Anandrao circle. ...
Don't remember anything like that near Anandrao Circle, which is an impossible place to be in a car for the last 30 years. Did you by any chance mean Shivananda Circle? I think it is still there, but it is *impossible* to park in front at any time of the day, unlike 15 years back.
Old 16th August 2013, 13:07   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Don't remember anything like that near Anandrao Circle, which is an impossible place to be in a car for the last 30 years. Did you by any chance mean Shivananda Circle? I think it is still there, but it is *impossible* to park in front at any time of the day, unlike 15 years back.
Oh sorry, my bad! I meant shivananda circle and not anandrao circle. The one near chitrakala parishat.
Old 16th August 2013, 13:28   #2904
Team-BHP Support

Chalukya hotel at High grounds used to serve in the car. They had these trays designed to rest on the door for customers.

On St. Marks road, Kebab Korner and Cool Joint used to serve in the car. I am not sure if they still do since the cops have clamped down hard on them.
Old 16th August 2013, 15:27   #2905
BHPian

Kerala Cuisine

Have been to cafe Malabari at koramangla and the lunch was definitely good.

I felt it to be more value for money than Kumarakom@HSR layout .

We had veg/non-veg lunch along with Kothu-paratha.

Over all a good place to visit again .
Old 16th August 2013, 18:01   #2906
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Fat Buddha @ Cunnigham road last week for dinner.

The food is very average and the prices are not.Not a VFM place in my opinion.

Waseem.
Old 16th August 2013, 19:03   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I had been to Fat Buddha ... Not a VFM place in my opinion.
Arrey Wassem-bhai, that is why it is called the Fat Buddha. If it had been VFM, it would have been just Buddha or Lean Buddha.
Old 18th August 2013, 14:46   #2908
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Two brilliant places for Traditional South Indian Vegetarian breakfast, both of which we in our family really love to go to.

1. Woodlands at the end of Residency Road for their Buffet Breakfast with lovely soft idlis, vadas and unlimited Masala and plain dosas....lip-smackingly amazingly super-delicious. Buffet price per head is Rs 250/-.
2. Samrat Restaurant in Chalukya Hotel, next to HighPoint, Race Course Road- a-la-carte breakfast, Benne Dosa, Benne Masala Dosa, plain idlis and vadas..lovely food.
(Benne means Butter for the un-initiated). A standard family of four can eat very well indeed here for approx Rs 500/-.

Both of these restaurants are absolutely ideal for Saturdays and Sundays at around 0830-0900 hrs because at this time they are relatively less crowded.
Well worth a visit in my opinion.
Old 18th August 2013, 21:41   #2909
BHPian

Wang's Kitchen, Koramangala

Went to French Loaf for dinner and found out that they have a Chinese restaurant within the premises. Both are now run from the earlier French Loaf and belong to Oriental Cuisines.

Wang's Kitchen is by far my worst Chinese restaurant experience in Bangalore that I can remember. I have been racking my brains to compare it with "Yo! China" which was previously my worst Chinese food ever, but Yo! China seems to have disappeared from my neighborhood and the food was so forgettable that I don't seem to recall it.

Coming back to Wang's Kitchen, I perused the menu and saw the familiar "American Chopsuey". Now as we all know, this dish is neither American, not Chopsuey, nor even Chinese for that matter but it is all-in-all Indian. That usually tells me whether to expect Chinese or Indian-Chinese and sure enough this is Indian-Chinese. For me, the American Chopsuey also works as a barometer because it is my favorite all-in-one dish and I have had lots of it.

The American Chopsuey here was watered down with no flavor whatsoever and served with slightly soggy noodles. We ordered the Chilly Garlic Chicken appetizer and it came with gravy which we sent back to get the same thing, but without gravy, which again didn't have a shred of flavor. The only consolation was the Fried Rice which thankfully they didn't get wrong.

The table we got was unclean and the service was poor. My son had to go ask the waiter to get water. The table was smeared with soy sauce and what-not and even the condiment tray was dirty.

Bear in mind that this is a restaurant that tacks on a service charge on to your bill. I have a huge issue with that as I prefer to pay waiters individually based on their service. End of the day, I spent a pretty penny to get lousy food that pissed me off so bad that I am sitting here writing a review right after my return.
Old 18th August 2013, 22:42   #2910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
We'd been to Smoke House Deli for lunch today.

The food was good and the ambiance, great! Service too, was as good as it gets. But it's quite pricey. Worth trying if you like Continental fare.
+1 to that. Been there three times now and never been disappointed. Good ambience, consistently great food. Service is good and efficient too.

Most Viewed