Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2013, 11:45   #2941
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Tried Annapoorani, Indiranagar this weekend for its tamil nadu style vegetarian meals and found it unimpressive. Definitely quality has gone down compared to their Cambridge road days.

Any other place serving authentic tamilnadu meals?
Old 28th October 2013, 13:26   #2942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Tried Annapoorani, Indiranagar this weekend for its tamil nadu style vegetarian meals and found it unimpressive. Definitely quality has gone down compared to their Cambridge road days.

Have you tried ARUSUVAI ARASU MADHURAM at HSR? Have read a lot of about their vegetarian Tamil Nadu meals, haven't been there though.

http://www.zomato.com/bangalore/arusuvai-madhuram-hsr
Old 28th October 2013, 18:16   #2943
BHPian

Quote:

I believe you are looking for Veg only options. A2B has south indian meals which I had tried once, but finding it quite hard to recollect now to comment on. Andal Mess/Madura Idly Shop on 80 feet road should have it, but I haven't tried their meals. Annapoorani was by far the best option though I haven't gone for lunch in a long time now.
Old 28th October 2013, 18:22   #2944
BHPian

Had been to siddappa hotel in sampangiram nagar behind Pallavi theatre (theatre Demolished now) Best Khali dosa i had after a really long time.
Old 28th October 2013, 20:23   #2945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post
Have you tried ARUSUVAI ARASU MADHURAM at HSR? Have read a lot of about their vegetarian Tamil Nadu meals, haven't been there though.

http://www.zomato.com/bangalore/arusuvai-madhuram-hsr
I have had the thali at Arasuvai Madhuram. Definitely worth trying. Priced at about 200 per thali if I recall. Good and fresh tasting vegetarian Tamil food. Preferably go on a weekend, so that you can come home and take a nice nap after the lunch
Old 28th October 2013, 20:42   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Had been to siddappa hotel in sampangiram nagar behind Pallavi theatre (theatre Demolished now) Best Khali dosa i had after a really long time.
It is Siddanna, you should have tried his Masala Dosa, let me warn you that you will get only half dosa, that too if you are lucky and if you wait for your turn(30 mins- 1 hr)
Old 28th October 2013, 20:56   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
..Annapoorani was by far the best option though I haven't gone for lunch in a long time now.
Yes even i went there after a long gap. Infact went to their earlier premises and was shocked to see Dominos there!! Then drove down to Thippasandra intending to have meals at Murugan Idly Shop and chanced upon their new premises. Ultimately, was dissapppointed at the fare dished out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post
Have you tried ARUSUVAI ARASU MADHURAM at HSR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I have had the thali at Arasuvai Madhuram. Definitely worth trying
Thanks for recommending Arusuvai. Please provide directions to reach here. their website says location is 7th main but many other sites say they are in 5th main HSR layout. Which is correct?
Old 29th October 2013, 13:21   #2948
BHPian

Note from Support: Please take the time to format your posts properly before submitting. Thanks!

Quote:
Me and Uncle were very loyal customers to this place but we stopped going there because the owners have attitude issue with the customers who come here.The wait is too long and people working there are very proud of what they sell.The last time visited ,heard the owner making comments on all the ladies of the town who dont know how to make dosa hence their husbands and children land up in their shop for breakfast,also saw waiters literally telling people to buzz off if they cannot wait for their turn to come.
Dosa's made here are normal dosas,its just that its bathed and roasted in GHEE completed,hence the taste.
avoid such places as these people have to learn a lesson that without customers their business wouldnot survive even for a day.
I too come from a business family and know the values of Business to customer relationship.

For best DOSA experience Try these places :
CTR,Malleshwaram
Janardhan Hotel, Near race course
Udupi Krishna Bhavan, Near uperpet police station
Vidhyarthi Bhavan,Gandhibazar
Modern Cafe, Near VVpuram

Koshy's Restaurant :

Long time back i had tried the Nan and Palak panner there and it was mind blowing .
The nan was too soft and the palak and the panner where too fresh ,rightly made.
Never by this day such a nice palak paneer in my life.
The coffee is traditional and good.
Many more things to explore in this place.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th October 2013 at 04:22. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / " " MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 29th October 2013, 13:59   #2949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post

For best DOSA experience Try these places :
CTR,Malleshwaram
Janardhan Hotel, Near race course
Udupi Krishna Bhavan, Near uperpet police station
Vidhyarthi Bhavan,Gandhibazar
Modern Cafe, Near VVpuram
Know that the owner Siddanna is a bit Cranky guy.

I have tried Dosa almost everywhere in and around Bangalore and as per my knowledge none of the above mentioned hotels server Khali Dosa. I have been visiting Vidhyarthi Bhavan for close to 20 years They server Plain Dosa only. (There is a difference between a Khali dosa and a Plain Dosa). Only Dwarka Bhavan in NR Colony used to server Khali dosa guess they have shifted somewhere now need to locate the new place.

Modern Cafe, Near VVpuram - Did you Mean NMH.

In between for Dosa Lovers - There is one hotel in Vijipura on the way to Shidlaghatta visited with my uncle couple of times. If I remember the name is Babu Hotel. The Dosas are really good and i know quite a number of people who visit that place in the weekends to have dosa there. its open only from 8 Am to 10:30 AM morning. Not sure about the evening timings.

Last edited by vinukm : 29th October 2013 at 14:00.
Old 29th October 2013, 14:24   #2950
BHPian

Note from Support: Please take time to format your posts before submitting. Thanks!

Quote:

I have tried Dosa almost everywhere in and around Bangalore and as per my knowledge none of the above mentioned hotels server Khali Dosa. I have been visiting Vidhyarthi Bhavan for close to 20 years They server Plain Dosa only. (There is a difference between a Khali dosa and a Plain Dosa). Only Dwarka Bhavan in NR Colony used to server Khali dosa guess they have shifted somewhere now need to locate the new place.

Modern Cafe, Near VVpuram - Did you Mean NMH.
If your looking for Khali Dosas in particular then heres the list:

Dwaraka ;take the next left after kamat buggle rock and go further to get a park dividing big road ,its on your right.

Ganesh Bhavan i guess ,One hotel in Chamarajpet when ur travelling ,taking right after St.Marys convent just before taking left towards uma theatre road,this place is next to bullet mechanic shop.Khali dosa ,chutni and butter is simple awesome.

And Please try Khali dosa in CTR ,Malleshwaram .

Yes my bad didnt know you where so particular about Khali dosa ,I was talking about Dosas in General.
I completely understand your pain and agony.

4 Seasons restaurant on 100ft road Indiranagar.

By far the best Hyderabadi Dum Biryani in bangalore is here at 4 Seasons restaurant on 100ft road Indiranagar.I have had there biryani in Hyderabad and here and the taste is the same so the quality and quantity.
As rightly said by few fellow bhpians earlier ,its very light on the stop and very rightly spiced .The chicken is tender and when you deep dive into it you find a pink colored chicken meat which tastes heavenly.I went ahead and mistakenly asked the waiter do they use Wine to cook chicken ,it was so awesome .
Other varieties at the restaurants are more on Lebanese cuisine and Mughalai,
One should try the Kebab platter and deserts here like Kubbani ka meeta,one should have a really sweet tooth to digest the sweetness in it.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th October 2013 at 04:22. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+ / " " MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 29th October 2013, 14:52   #2951
BHPian

Where do I get good Appam / stew in Bangalore ?
Prefer joints east of MG Rd.
Old 29th October 2013, 15:00   #2952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4 Seasons restaurant on 100ft road Indiranagar.

By far the best Hyderabadi Dum Biryani in bangalore is here at 4 Seasons restaurant on 100ft road Indiranagar.I have had there biryani in Hyderabad and here and the taste is the same so the quality and quantity.
As rightly said by few fellow bhpians earlier ,its very light on the stop and very rightly spiced .The chicken is tender and when you deep dive into it you find a pink colored chicken meat which tastes heavenly.I went ahead and mistakenly asked the waiter do they use Wine to cook chicken ,it was so awesome .
Other varieties at the restaurants are more on Lebanese cuisine and Mughalai,
One should try the Kebab platter and deserts here like Kubbani ka meeta,one should have a really sweet tooth to digest the sweetness in it.
There's a 4 seasons in whitefield as well. Ever since it opened, I've stopped going to any other place if I want indian food - especially biriyani.
Old 29th October 2013, 15:01   #2953
BHPian

Quote:

I have tried Dosa almost everywhere in and around Bangalore and as per my knowledge none of the above mentioned hotels server Khali Dosa.
Good to know that there is a Khali dosa lover , heard from my cousin who stays in Hanumanthnagar , there is a new hole in the wall establishment which offers mind boggling dosas and the gentlemen who man this joint are from Dwaraka and Vidyarthi Bhavan. I have not visited them as yet , hence cannot give you the perfect coordinates.
Old 29th October 2013, 15:04   #2954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... There is a difference between a Khali dosa and a Plain Dosa ...
Err... what is the difference?

Quote:
... One hotel in Chamarajpet when ur travelling ,taking right after St.Marys convent just before taking left towards uma theatre road,this place is next to bullet mechanic shop.Khali dosa ,chutni and butter is simple awesome. ...
I know this one for >30 years, as I used to go to that Bullet mechanic sometimes. He (or maybe his father or uncle) used to serve Thatte Idlys too earlier - fine with coconut chutney, but his sambhar used to be tholkatt watery.
Old 29th October 2013, 15:07   #2955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Where do I get good Appam / stew in Bangalore ?
Prefer joints east of MG Rd.
You can check out this post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3277066

Most Viewed