Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 06:01   #3091
BANNED

Re: Sabbasige Saaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That used to confuse me into thinking maybe Sabakki / Sabudana comes from the same plant. Not!
In our households we always called Sabudana as Seeme Akki (Imported rice), and Dill as Sabbasige Soppu. Although the vegetable woman (sopp-amma) called it Sabakki soppu in the most unintelligible way possible.

I was not aware of people calling Seeme Akki as Sabakki. I learn something new every day.
Old 6th March 2014, 10:22   #3092
BHPian

Re: Sabbasige Saaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Err... how? The taxes are 750?
650+ Taxes per person (14th Feb - there have to be two people when you go out)
Old 6th March 2014, 11:12   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Alright so Vasudeva Adiga's opened in Sahakar Nagar yesterday - amidst lots of pomp and show.

There was a mad rush throughout the day at the outlet, probably due to the novelty factor and curiosity of nearby residents. Ironically though, i saw more people ordering chinese and north indian food (specially Pav bhaji), then the usual south indian fare.

I tasted the Idli Sambar - and it was, as expected.
The idlis were very soft and the coconut chutney (pardon me if chutney is no the correct word in Karnataka) delicious with right amount of thickness and consistency. But what disappointed me again was the Sambar - the sweetest i have tasted so far. :( Will probably try out other items like Upma/Poha etc to see how well it goes.

Last edited by DCEite : 6th March 2014 at 11:15.
Old 6th March 2014, 11:40   #3094
Team-BHP Support

Adigas is a chain of restaurant. Food is just ok. You can never expect great food in Adigas, shanthi sagar and other joints. Always worth trying but it never wowed me.

Annapooranis, ctr, slv, veena stores. These are the places of you want good food.
Old 6th March 2014, 17:09   #3095
BHPian

+1
I have never been a great fan of Adigas. They feel like the fastfood version of south Indian food. There are many restaurants around and I heard recently they got some VC funding and opening new restaurants like crazy.

Food is too oily and spicy to my liking. Never got the authentic south Indian feeling.
Old 6th March 2014, 19:43   #3096
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 about Adigas. They do have some quality factor but taste factor is just ok.

Its only a boon in places like maddur, Kolar etc where finding a clean place or a reputed place is difficult for newcomers. Of course regulars know restaurants in and out, but for tourists from distant places its a blessing to find Vasudev adigas, A2B etc.

For those who want healthy street food, there is a roadside bhelpuri wala in front of Jain College VV Puram. I can confidently say he is the Bhelpuri guy with the highest sales I have ever seen. This guy only serves Tomato Slice, Bhel, cucumber and Pineapple masala, but its damn tasty. Also unlike other people, they don't use oil items like mixture etc and the preparations are real healthy. Best time to go here is between 4:30 to 5:00pm else you will have to wait for at least 20mins to get what you want.

Needless to say, for the price he charges, its really worth it. For those who love spicy food, this guy can set your mouths on fire. Hence, those who don't go well with spicy food must clearly instruct him to put very less green chutney.
Old 6th March 2014, 20:52   #3097
Distinguished - BHPian

There is another version in addition to 'saaru' and 'huli'. Its called 'Kootu' which is thicker than huli and usually has groundnuts, avarekalu and kumbalkaayi . The most popular version is the Avarekalu kootu .Usually had with a dash of ghee along with. Of course, its a damn heavy meal and a siesta after having it is definitely warranted
Old 6th March 2014, 22:42   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
There is another version in addition to 'saaru' and 'huli'. Its called 'Kootu' which is thicker than huli and usually has groundnuts, avarekalu and kumbalkaayi . The most popular version is the Avarekalu kootu .Usually had with a dash of ghee along with. Of course, its a damn heavy meal and a siesta after having it is definitely warranted
You forgot to mention about "majjige paladya" , prepared from ash gourd or ladies finger .

-"Saaru and huli" has Dal content , but kootu is prepared without Dal . Black Pepper is added to "kootu" for more flavour. This "saaru, huli , and kootu" are best prepared at home and no hotel can match the taste.

-There is one more variety of "huli'. It is cooked entirely from coconuts and mustards.We call it "kaayi-sasive huli".

-Another form of "saaru " is "God saaru" made from black pepper and coriander leaves , very digestive , light food and has a soothing effect on your throat. Standard home medicine for cough .

Last edited by girimajiananth : 6th March 2014 at 22:55.
Old 11th March 2014, 11:43   #3099
Senior - BHPian

The groom's party like Mutton Biryani and the Bride's party like Chicken Biryani:Enough reason to call off a wedding in Bangalore.

http://www.asianage.com/india/weddin...er-biryani-864
Old 11th March 2014, 12:05   #3100
Team-BHP Support

After reading a review earlier in this thread and then getting it endorsed from Ampere I went to arusuvai arasu madhuram in HSR layout. And I'm hooked.

The food is exactly what I have been looking for everywhere. My standard South indian joint was Annapoorani in Indiranagar but after this I may never need to go there again.

The Dosa, Rasam vada, Pongal and most importantly the Sambar were superb. Sunday breakfast till 11am is 150 bucks unlimited dosa, idli.

The dosa's are not crispy and oily but soft. The sambar is not sweet with loads of vegetables but simple with well cooked dal. The rasam is peppery with no tamarind sour taste. The vada's are soft.

We went there for breakfast on Sunday and ended up going back for Dinner!!
Old 13th March 2014, 10:35   #3101
BHPian

Re: Huliyappa's Donne Biryani

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Tried Huliyappa's Donne Biryani located at CBI RT Nagar, it's a very small joint but clean. The menu is limited with Chicken Biryani and mutton biryani and some dry dishes.

I tried the Donne chicken biriyani and guntur chicken, the biryani had a rustic taste to it, decent quantity of rice and chicken with Sherwa and a curd with vegetable salad.

It may not appeal to Biryani purist, but worth a try.
Many thanks for reffering the place. we went there last friday and found the Chicken Biryani to be good. VFM as well. Mutton Biryani can be avoided.
Chicken Chilli is awesome and Guntur Chicken is passable. The butter Milk is a must-have
Old 15th March 2014, 17:24   #3102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit View Post
Hey Hatari, even me going to Blore....but a week later than you. Will be there for a couple of days. So the infos you are getting here, am too noting them down.

Hello B'loreans.... where do you get Kannada food ? And what are the specialty dishes which cannot be missed?
(You get pizzas/biriyanis..maybe slight diffnt/kebabs every where). I love food and would not want to miss out on your local favourites.

Pls advise.
Good local Kannada food - dont give MTR a miss then. Pure vegetarian, heart and stomach filling and yummy.
Old 19th March 2014, 14:56   #3103
BHPian

I need to take my brother, who is in India after 2yrs, out for dinner. He wants to have some really good North Indian / Mughlai food and a taste that can linger on him for sometime. I stay in HSR Layout. So, any suggestions for places in & around HSR?
Old 19th March 2014, 15:03   #3104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
I need to take my brother, who is in India after 2yrs, out for dinner. He wants to have some really good North Indian / Mughlai food and a taste that can linger on him for sometime. I stay in HSR Layout. So, any suggestions for places in & around HSR?
Punjaby by Nature Koramangla opposite Forum on the other side. Very good food which is rich in spices.

Anyone wanting indian experience, that's my regular haunt.
Old 19th March 2014, 16:53   #3105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
I enjoy Punjabi Times on ORR near Belandur (After Iblur jn take service road towards belandur). Been there several times now and the quality has remained good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks