Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2014, 19:23   #3241
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Spotted this since its right next to Panch Phoron...is the biryani kolkata like? (aromatic, lightly spiced with a big aloo smack in the middle??!! - waiting for response with bated breath)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
YES

I found it to be better than alishan and lazeez.
Then this is a must visit place for me. Two items I miss from Calcutta - the Biriyanis and the Rolls. Usually make do with lazeez stuff, but if this place is even better, then.....salivating

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Waseem-bhai, o Waseem-bhai, zara aneka idhar ku. These hazraat need to be stuffed with the 4-5 South Indian Biryani varieties to give them a Biryani appreciation course. Namakool logaan, lahaulvilaquwwat!
Lol. Nothing beats good Kolkata Biriyani :-)
Old 6th October 2014, 14:56   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Namakool logaan, lahaulvilaquwwat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Plain English please
"Ignorant / foolish peoples, illogical un-Godly words"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
... Nothing beats good Kolkata Biriyani ...
Only for people who grew up in Kolkata. Others not brought up there lack that insularity, and are able to appreciate other styles - unfettered by the dogma.
Old 6th October 2014, 15:44   #3243
Senior - BHPian

Veruthe oru thattukada

This is a new hotel near to DLF new town (akshayanagar) (the real meaning of the name will be lost in translation, so please excuse )

They have all the usual kerala suspects and lot of non vegetarian verities (fish, chicken, beef, duck, quail etc). All the food items are served on plantain leaf - be it rice or biriyani or chappathi and curry.

It is a small place, but have done up neatly and we can watch the kitchen from dining area -the kitchen looks neat as of now. The place is pocket friendly and have few not so easily available dishes like meen peera, chicken thoran etc.

Pothichoru.com

This is not a hotel, but an online food service which caters meals wrapped in banana leaf - just like the way you would have taken meals to college or school, if you are as old as I am

I recently attended a function where the food was supplied by them and the taste was yummy - really authentic kottayam style taste. They do supply food for small gatherings but they do not cater.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 6th October 2014 at 15:48.
Old 8th October 2014, 22:28   #3244
BHPian

Pizza hut - Bad practice on unlimited meals

We went to pizza hut today and ordered one veg unlimited meal (225 + taxes) + one non veg unilimited meal (249 + taxes) + two unlimited pepsi (198 + taxes).

We were served 5-6 garlic bread sticks (without cheese) as a starter with two glasses of pepsi. Later they served the pizzas. Obviously, we could have only 3-4 sicks.

They promptly refilled the pepsi but when asked for pizza refill, they replied unless the plate is completely empty (which includes garlic bread sticks that they served voluntarily) they cannot serve pizza. This also includes the rough edges which I usually do not eat.

We found it really insulting. The rule itself is an insult. They are not doing charity. At about 375 after tax, it is not exactly cheap. Nandini, or any other restaurant for that matter, never says that unless you eat item1 in buffet we cannot serve you item2. Pizza hut is not the only restaurant in the world serving unlimted food. And it should be the choice of the customer on how many items they would like to have and how.

While leaving we called the manager and informed him of the situation. The manager initially defended the rule. Later however he offered a free pizza. But the 'rule' itself is insulting. I used to be a regular customer there but don't think I would go back again.
Old 9th October 2014, 10:48   #3245
BHPian

Re: Pizza hut - Bad practice on unlimited meals

Always read the fine print when you go for such offers. They mention in very small unreadable print at the bottom or some corner about no food wastage policy and the plate needs to be empty before next serving is served.

Last time when I had taken this offer I just refused the garlic sticks and just had the pizza's and pepsi.
Old 9th October 2014, 12:38   #3246
BANNED

This is quite surprising! I visited Pizza hut and they gave complimentary Garlic bread out of which I had just one stick and immediately asked him to serve the pizza and he happily did that !

Which outlet in Bangalore was this ?
Old 9th October 2014, 13:01   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
they replied unless the plate is completely empty (which includes garlic bread sticks that they served voluntarily) they cannot serve pizza. This also includes the rough edges which I usually do not eat.
What kind of rule is that? What will they do if those pieces fell on the ground, are they expecting to eat them too for a refill? I think they tried to fool you, if they indeed say the plate has to be empty for a refill ask for another empty plate and empty your plate to that or into a waste bin.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 9th October 2014 at 13:05.
Old 9th October 2014, 15:09   #3248
BHPian

Quote:
Only for people who grew up in Kolkata. Others not brought up there lack that insularity, and are able to appreciate other styles - unfettered by the dogma.
- Do you mean people who grew up in Calcutta are insular or is it that the ones who have tasted the Awadhi biryani cannot do with any other variant? If its the former then presumptuous words indeed; not sure where it comes from. If its the latter then it could apply to anyone from any part of the world who is partial to one's cuisine, not sure how it can apply to the people of any specific region.

By the way the Calcutta biryani itself is a cultural/culinary import from languid bylanes of Lucknow, so the allegation of parochialism is quite untenable
Old 9th October 2014, 15:54   #3249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Do you mean people who grew up in Calcutta are insular ... If its the former then presumptuous words indeed; not sure where it comes from ...
LOL Yes, the former. It comes from seeing 1000's of such people in other parts of India turning up their nose and commenting adversely on local cuisine. THAT'S insularity for you! Not that all the people from Kolkata are insular. People from other parts of India generally love the change of taste that they experience when not in their native circumstances (e.g. a Kannadiga visiting Kashmir, a Kashmiri in Tamil Nadu, or a Malayalee in Kolkata), and don't comment what they have back home is the best.

Quote:
... could apply to anyone from any part of the world who is partial to one's cuisine, not sure how it can apply to the people of any specific region. ...
The thing is that not many parts of the world, nor many people in the world, exhibit such partiality.

Quote:
... By the way the Calcutta biryani itself is a cultural/culinary import from languid bylanes of Lucknow, so the allegation of parochialism is quite untenable
It isn't. It is as much home grown as ... as rosogolla. Of course it is *styled* on the Lakhnawi version, but the potato is very much a local addition to make it unique.

BTW *all* the biryanis originate from the simple, humble vegetarian Tehari of Uttar Pradesh (which predates the invasions), whether the Lakhnawi, Hyderabadi, Bangaladeshi or Dindugal / Thalapakattu / Malabari. The variants are just adaptation to local ingredients (except Kolkata managed to add potato, which doesn't grow locally). Biryani is quite different in the manner of preparation from the Pulao / Pulav, which originated from the Persian Polo. The Andhra (not Hyderabadi) and Maratha ones in Bangalore are actually pulaos but called Biryani.
Old 9th October 2014, 20:00   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
LOL Yes, the former. It comes from seeing 1000's of such people in other parts of India turning up their nose and commenting adversely on local cuisine. THAT'S insularity for you! Not that all the people from Kolkata are insular. People from other parts of India generally love the change of taste that they experience when not in their native circumstances (e.g. a Kannadiga visiting Kashmir, a Kashmiri in Tamil Nadu, or a Malayalee in Kolkata), and don't comment what they have back home is the best.
- sir, I beg to differ, the bangaali bhadrolok traversing the length of the country with his motley crew and shoestring budget may present a comical sight, but is an inveterate traveler thirsting for adventure, nevertheless, perhaps you have caught more than your fair share of our ilk pronouncing his judgement on what he samples elsewhere, I would give him the benefit of the doubt however!

Quote:
The thing is that not many parts of the world, nor many people in the world, exhibit such partiality.
- Presumptuous again, even though I assume that you are far better traveled than I am

Quote:
It isn't. It is as much home grown as ... as rosogolla. Of course it is *styled* on the Lakhnawi version, but the potato is very much a local addition to make it unique.

BTW *all* the biryanis originate from the simple, humble vegetarian Tehari of Uttar Pradesh (which predates the invasions), whether the Lakhnawi, Hyderabadi, Bangaladeshi or Dindugal / Thalapakattu / Malabari. The variants are just adaptation to local ingredients (except Kolkata managed to add potato, which doesn't grow locally). Biryani is quite different in the manner of preparation from the Pulao / Pulav, which originated from the Persian Polo. The Andhra (not Hyderabadi) and Maratha ones in Bangalore are actually pulaos but called Biryani.
- interesting observation, I always thought the biryani was brought along by Wajid Ali Shah and his retinue when they were banished to what is now metiabruz/garden reach in Calcutta. BTW even though am a bengali, my father grew up in Lucknow and hence have sampled the delicacy at both places, the resemblance is stark and too uncanny to be coincidental, even though I agree the addition of the potato betrays the bangaali love for alu
Old 10th October 2014, 01:06   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- sir, I beg to differ, the bangaali bhadrolok traversing the length of the country with his motley crew and shoestring budget may present a comical sight, but is an inveterate traveler thirsting for adventure, nevertheless, perhaps you have caught more than your fair share of our ilk pronouncing his judgement on what he samples elsewhere, I would give him the benefit of the doubt however!

- Presumptuous again, even though I assume that you are far better traveled than I am

- interesting observation, I always thought the biryani was brought along by Wajid Ali Shah and his retinue when they were banished to what is now metiabruz/garden reach in Calcutta. BTW even though am a bengali, my father grew up in Lucknow and hence have sampled the delicacy at both places, the resemblance is stark and too uncanny to be coincidental, even though I agree the addition of the potato betrays the bangaali love for alu
Thou conveyed what I might have been tempted to convey, far better than I could have
Old 10th October 2014, 05:43   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Always read the fine print when you go for such offers. They mention in very small unreadable print at the bottom or some corner about no food wastage policy and the plate needs to be empty before next serving is served.

Last time when I had taken this offer I just refused the garlic sticks and just had the pizza's and pepsi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
This is quite surprising! I visited Pizza hut and they gave complimentary Garlic bread out of which I had just one stick and immediately asked him to serve the pizza and he happily did that !

Which outlet in Bangalore was this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
What kind of rule is that? What will they do if those pieces fell on the ground, are they expecting to eat them too for a refill? I think they tried to fool you, if they indeed say the plate has to be empty for a refill ask for another empty plate and empty your plate to that or into a waste bin.
This was at Brigade road. No they did not try to fool me, it was indeed a policy. They can not insult Indian customers like this.

I have been to Japaneses restaurants in USA where they had no food wastage policy in general but never anywhere I was asked to empty my plate before refill is served.

After all, it is not a charity they are doing. At 400, there are a number of good restaurants in Bangalore where you get buffet.
Old 10th October 2014, 09:55   #3253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
This was at Brigade road. No they did not try to fool me, it was indeed a policy. They can not insult Indian customers like this.

I have been to Japaneses restaurants in USA where they had no food wastage policy in general but never anywhere I was asked to empty my plate before refill is served.

After all, it is not a charity they are doing. At 400, there are a number of good restaurants in Bangalore where you get buffet.
Then the best option is
Quote:
ask for another empty plate and empty your plate to that or into a waste bin.
Old 10th October 2014, 14:13   #3254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- sir, I beg to differ, the bangaali bhadrolok traversing the length of the country ... perhaps you have caught more than your fair share of our ilk pronouncing his judgement on what he samples elsewhere, I would give him the benefit of the doubt however! ...
LOL Perhaps they were the Abhadralok, then? Possible, because most travellers want to sample local fare, even if it is at least to have points to talk about when they return. Turning up one's nose means one goes hungry, unless one is a hypocritical gripe who eats yet makes adverse comments.

Benefit of doubt is always given by the locals, everywhere in the world. As the Japanese say (gravely nodding their heads) about the foibles of foreigners - "Gaijin, ne!"

Quote:
- interesting observation, I always thought the biryani was brought along by Wajid Ali Shah and his retinue when they were banished to what is now metiabruz/garden reach in Calcutta ...
That was mid-19th century. Muslims came to Bengal in the 14th century (Ilyas Shahis). The Moghuls were around since the 16th Century. Their culinary traditions must have been established somewhere around that time. Wajid Ali Shah was a connoisseur of the arts (Kathak) and literature (poetry), but was not really a foodie.

The potato would have come in during / after the great famine of 1770, when the Brits were in power. That was when livestock was also virtually wiped out (apart from 2 million people in what is today Bihar, Jharkhand, Bengal, Bangladesh, Odisha, Assam, Tripura etc.). That would have made potatoes an attractive substitute for meat in Biryani. Even though meat came back later, the potato never went out of the Biryani there. The same is true for Mutton Curry.

Last edited by DerAlte : 10th October 2014 at 14:14.
Old 12th October 2014, 14:46   #3255
Distinguished - BHPian

Any good place for midnight dinner? After 10:00 or 11:00 PM.

Most Viewed