Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2019, 16:48   #3661
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I guess this place in Koramangala was earlier called KMT (Khatta Meetha Teekha)
I think KMT foods is a Bangalore based setup that started off with North Indian chaats/fast food and now have taken BBT franchises and hence the rebadging in Koramangala.
Not sure if they still have KMT branded outlets also currently (Zomato shows one in Manyata).
Old 27th August 2019, 18:37   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not sure if they still have KMT branded outlets also currently (Zomato shows one in Manyata).
They do have one in Manyata. Had got chola-bhatura from there only a few months ago. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

I think I remember them mentioning they have a branch on the Avenue road.
Old 14th November 2019, 11:59   #3663
BHPian

Any suggestions for good heritage type joints that serve delicious breakfast in Bangalore? Nothing too fancy, yet hearty and inexpensive meals where dust isn't competing with the food to go in your mouth. Something where you can drive to easily in the morning on a weekend after, say, a hectic workout.
Old 14th November 2019, 14:37   #3664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Any suggestions for good heritage type joints that serve delicious breakfast in Bangalore? Nothing too fancy, yet hearty and inexpensive meals where dust isn't competing with the food to go in your mouth. Something where you can drive to easily in the morning on a weekend after, say, a hectic workout.
Depends on which part of town you stay in and what kind of food you are looking for. Brahmins, Vidyarthi Bhavan, MTR, CTR for South Indian breakfast, India Coffee House for awesome old fashioned bread omlette coffee and mutton cutlets. All of these are at prices which will not leave any major hole in your wallet. There are tons more, but in any of these, the trick is to reach early on weekends to avoid the rush which starts soon thereafter.
Old 14th November 2019, 16:40   #3665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Bangalore Cafe is the new kid on the block, replicating old tastes. You don't get sambar there, only chutney. Their Dosa is the best. It's kinda 'half-dosa' with 'gatti chutney' and you cant stop at one
There is also a BBMP Office nearby. "BC" as we call it has become a blockbuster since they opened. It is walkable from my place and my folks seem to use it like an extended kitchen.

Personally for me:
1. Masala Dosa: Maiyas 4th Block
2. Idli-Vada: Adithya Veg (Opp Ranga Shankara)
3. Masala Dosa + Idli/Vada in same place: Taaza Tindi (4th T Block, next to Cakewala)
Old 15th November 2019, 12:48   #3666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Personally for me:
1. Masala Dosa: Maiyas 4th Block
2. Idli-Vada: Adithya Veg (Opp Ranga Shankara)
3. Masala Dosa + Idli/Vada in same place: Taaza Tindi (4th T Block, next to Cakewala)
Since you seem to be in the JP Nagar/ Jayanagar region, try the dosas, idlis and Mangalore bajjis at Brahmins cafe branch which has opened in JP Nagar 7th phase, just over a year back. This is very close to my place and we end up eating there frequently.

Turnover is massive and therefore all the food is always hot and super fresh, even just before 9pm when they are about to close. Also, the seating area is spacious, clean and well ventilated, so a good place for weekend breakfasts or evening tiffin
Old 15th November 2019, 21:46   #3667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Since you seem to be in the JP Nagar/ Jayanagar region, try the dosas, idlis and Mangalore bajjis at Brahmins cafe branch which has opened in JP Nagar 7th phase, just over a year back. This is very close to my place and we end up eating there frequently.
I think JP Nagar folks would swear by SN Refreshments when it comes to idlis.

There used to be a reasonably good open air restaurant called Incharas. Is it still present?
Old 15th November 2019, 21:59   #3668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

There used to be a reasonably good open air restaurant called Incharas. Is it still present?
Our area ( Jayanagar and Jayanagar ) is a true paradise when it comes to south india veg fare and each hotel has a specialty.
- 36th Cross thindi mane ( new kid on the block) - I like the flavours there and the service is fast and clean( opposite to Rastrothanna)
- Mysore coffee thindi- best Shavige baath frequented by Javagal Srinath
- Upahara Darshini- good idlies and coffee
- Taaza thindi- It has a perfect 5 on zomato , but overrated IMO
- SN refreshments - Best idlies , chutney and good service
- Kalpavriksha - good dosa and different take on masala dosa
- SLV Ragigudda - good Rava idlies
Old 15th November 2019, 22:12   #3669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Our area ( Jayanagar and Jayanagar ) is a true paradise when it comes to south india veg fare and each hotel has a specialty.
- 36th Cross thindi mane ( new kid on the block) - I like the flavours there and the service is fast and clean( opposite to Rastrothanna)
- Mysore coffee thindi- best Shavige baath frequented by Javagal Srinath
- Upahara Darshini- good idlies and coffee
- Taaza thindi- It has a perfect 5 on zomato , but overrated IMO
- SN refreshments - Best idlies , chutney and good service
- Kalpavriksha - good dosa and different take on masala dosa
- SLV Ragigudda - good Rava idlies
Yes I agree and I know that as I have frequented those areas right from my childhood. Have not tried Kalpavriksha yet. Will try it the next time I am in Bangalore

Agree on Taaza thindi (even though its owned by my school friend). It's not so different and I think Bangalore Cafe dosas are much better.
Old 15th November 2019, 23:38   #3670
BHPian

Quote:

The idly and that piping hot spicy sambar! One wouldn't get the same sambar anywhere else in the world! It's the USP of SN Refreshments!

Inchara, is still out there. But, it's best for an dinner outing!
Old 16th November 2019, 04:07   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Your list is to die for but please avoid SLV Ragigudda if you value your health. I was tempted to try their fare and found the taste sub-par (if you have tried SLV, Gandhi Bazar and BSK), but what shocked me are the few baby cockroaches on the coffee stand. When I complained and was about to video it the stand guy simply squishes them with the same 'browned' cloth used to clean his coffee counter and 'serve tray' etc. He then proceeded to use that very cloth to wipe a 'lota'. I was disgusted and rushed to the manager's/cashier's counter, and she had no reactions while saying "our manager is never here, and I don't know what to do since we do have a cockroach infestation". Hygiene is at a premium here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
SLV Ragigudda - good Rava idlies
Old 16th November 2019, 05:13   #3672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
SLV ...Hygiene is at a premium here.
Hmm...I am not a frequent patron there but went once couple of weeks back and the rava idly was rightly dense and not overly aerated with soda and thanks for the heads up will be more circumspect.They have re-done the place now and thankfully no cockroaches else my better half would have also squished me as well . Of course, I missed adding my perennial favorite of Sri Raghavendra darshini opposite to Raggiguda arch for their fast moving Mangalore buns.

Last edited by mazda4life : 16th November 2019 at 05:14. Reason: typo
Old 17th November 2019, 11:20   #3673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

SN is also good, but most of the time i end up going late and getting dissuaded by the massive crowds on weekends. Also, their dosas are pretty nice as well. No place to sit and eat though, one will have to stand at the tables and eat.

Brahmins idlis and accompanying chutney are also equally famous. In fact they used to serve only idlis for a long time and it's only recently that they have started dosas as well.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 17th November 2019 at 11:25.
Old 17th November 2019, 12:35   #3674
BHPian

Is there any place which serves vada sambar like how it used to taste in Janata Hotel (malleswaram) in the olden days (pre 2000)?
Old 17th November 2019, 13:10   #3675
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Koshys Sunday breakfasts are pretty good and along the 'post workout' lines you are looking for. But it gets pretty crowded.

Most Viewed