Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you always pay the fine?
Yes I do 32 37.21%
No I prefer to bribe 23 26.74%
I always talk my way out with the cop 22 25.58%
I used to bribe but no longer do 10 11.63%
I have never been held yet for a traffic offense 13 15.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 04:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

Do You Pay The Fine Or You Bribe?

I came across quite a few posts on the forum which advise against bribing a cop. I am sure none of us are clean here. At least I am not. I just thought of getting a count of enthusiasts who are really against bribing a cop when charged under a driving offense and how many of us wave that Rs. 50/- note to the cop.
Old 31st January 2008, 04:33   #2
BHPian

I prefer to pay the fine...is the option I would select...but I have tried to bribe a policeman before..so I am not all clean either.
Old 31st January 2008, 04:50   #3
BHPian

I did not vote due to lack of a suitable option.
I would pay the fine, but the cops here demand a bribe.
There have been occasions, where I have not been on the wrong side of the law, and had to deal with the cops. I refuse to bribe in such cases.
Old 31st January 2008, 06:03   #4
BHPian

I did not vote as well, as I wouldn't fit in any of those options.I usually try to talk my way out..If it doesn't work I end up bribing the cops.Good thing or bad thing, I have not had the need to do it a lot since I have a few relatives who are senior cops and I drop some names.

Bottom line..Guilty as charged.But playing the Devil's advocate, we just cannot say every one who has bribed is guilty since a lot depends upon the situation.There had been times when I was in a hurry and I would just shove some money to get out of there fast.
Old 31st January 2008, 08:58   #5
BHPian

can we vote on multiple options!? since its usually trying to talk my way out of it and then ending up bribing them or else make a few calls .. but the problem being in some cases you cant make the calls for matters as trivial as traffic violations :| not so easy!! and our cops around here would pretty much laugh at a Rs50 or Rs100 note nowadays .. tis a harsh world!!
Old 31st January 2008, 09:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Need multiple options on this one.

I normally try & talk my way out of it. If that doesn't work, I pay the fine. Gives me a lot of satisfaction to pay more (as in fine) & see the looks of disappointment on their faces when they see that I do not want to take the cheaper route (as in bribe)
Old 31st January 2008, 09:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

a) Try to talk my way out
b) Offer to pay fine
c) Bribe only if they ask for it and benefits me i.e. ratio of bribe Vs fine.
Old 31st January 2008, 09:46   #8
BHPian

I pay the fine and never ever try to give the bribe.
Old 31st January 2008, 09:47   #9
Team-BHP Support

The only fine I paid in Hyderabad was Rs 50/-
Took the right turn at PunjaGutta into Banjara Hills from the Ameerpet Side.

I was standing at that signal for like 3 full cycles, there was no board indicating no right turn. The cop standing did not even tell me that the turn was prohibited, I had my turn signal on the whole time. When I took the turn they ask me to pull over.
They got the 50 bucks and a earfull from me.

btw this happened when I my bike was 3 days old and thats was all the road experiance I had had in Hyderabad.
Old 31st January 2008, 10:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Been stopped 3 times so far in BNG.

Paid fine two times and bribe the third time around.

I prefer to pay the fine - but if the cop says to pay bribe and go, i just pay it. but I never try to force bribe into their hands.

the only time i paid bribe was when i was pulled over for drive while talking on mobile. constable asked me to stop on the side and walked to me. told me to go to inspector and pay 100rs fine, i said okie; when i was switching off the engine, removing seat belt and getting ready to get out, constable came closer and said 'Pay 50 to me'. gave him 50 and drove off!
Old 31st January 2008, 10:36   #11
BHPian

paid bribe and regret

I was asked to pay bribe for taking left in red. paid 100 rs.
I would prefer to pay fine.

Didnt vote. Its not clear as to what I would prefer or what happened
Old 31st January 2008, 10:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

If I get caught, first i try to speak to policeman and settle offf the matter. If he asks more and the difference between the fine and his bribe is little, then I will pay fine.

Here's my story. This happened a couple of months back. I had parked my 2 wheeler on the footpath as many had done it and went to bank (ATM). While I was in the queue, the security person alerted me that the police vehicle has come and they are loading all the vehicles parked into their tow truck. I rushed outside and at the same time my vehicle was taken for loading into the truck .I asked the person whether my vehicle can be let off, and he demanded me to pay Rs.200. The actual fine was Rs.300. I prefered to pay the fine instead. This was one of the instance which I remembered after seeing this thread. Thought of sharing it.
Old 31st January 2008, 10:46   #13
BHPian

I pay the fine all the time except for once when I cop insisted I bribe & not pay the fine which was well clearly his motive.
I have seen this guy many time stopping people exactly when the lights are few seconds from going green so the guy will just pay him to avoid vehicles stacking up behind.

One fine day in 2006, it was my turn & I knew this guy would just try to make something out of nothing. I had all the papers & also the Pollution Certificate but just that I forgot to put that sticker on the glass. He said he would let me go only if I paid 250/-. I just opened my wallet & showed him I have just 20 bucks ( I usually hide most of the money else where) & he happily took the 20 & let me go.

Otherwise, I have been stopped twice before for which I paid the fine.
Old 31st January 2008, 10:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

I prefer to bribe. Saves me my hard earned money.
Old 31st January 2008, 10:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

OT: I dont think the law requires you to put the sticker on the glass provided you have the original valid PUC certificate in the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexister View Post
One fine day in 2006, it was my turn & I knew this guy would just try to make something out of nothing. I had all the papers & also the Pollution Certificate but just that I forgot to put that sticker on the glass. He said he would let me go only if I paid 250/-. I just opened my wallet & showed him I have just 20 bucks ( I usually hide most of the money else where) & he happily took the 20 & let me go.

Otherwise, I have been stopped twice before for which I paid the fine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks