Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 15:48   #76
Team-BHP Support

don't most companies ask employees in bottom 5% to leave?
This is done everywhere.
when you have a 100 people company around 4-5 will go every year due to performance issues.

When you have 50,000 people, 500 will go!
Old 5th February 2008, 16:14   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
when you have a 100 people company around 4-5 will go every year due to performance issues.
By that scale, TCS should be firing 5000, not 500. But they don't do it because of PR issues. Instead they sideline (low hike, maintenance projects) such people hoping they will quit on their own.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:22   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
In that sense, I appreciate American co's like GE.. they tend start the firing from the top starting with the CEO..

Never heard of it. Any particular incidents to recolleect & share
Old 5th February 2008, 17:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Instead they sideline (low hike, maintenance projects) such people hoping they will quit on their own.
In reality, the good candidates leave and the bad ones stay as they are not capable to find another job!

Once people used to consider TCS as government jobs. Once you're in you could stay there rest of your life. Nowadays it is no longer true.

Quote:
with this move TCS will have a tough time to get people on board in future!
Never - when TCS wants to recruit, they usually have a goal, say 100 personnel to recruit on a single day. If someone has legs, hands and a head - no other criteria are checked (at least for junior positions). Unlike other companies, HR people are ultimate boss in TCS (not the technical ones) and they dictate whom to hire
Old 5th February 2008, 18:30   #80
LLL
BHPian

TCS, HCL and MBT (Tech mahindra now) had laid off ppl in 2001-02 downturn.

Just read a newspaper report now that IBM is asking 700 ppl to leave...giving the same BS related to performance issues.

IBM said to have fired 700 freshers in India
Old 5th February 2008, 18:32   #81
BANNED

So is the IT honeymoon in India over?
Old 5th February 2008, 18:39   #82
BHPian

It's very sad that IT again experiencing the 2001 scenarios. God only know how bad this gonnabe this time. I have already mentioned my view point on market situation in the real estate/property thread.

I feel you should read this link Iran's Oil Bourse Could Topple The Dollar to get some view of what's happening.
Old 5th February 2008, 18:43   #83
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
So is the IT honeymoon in India over?
No. Just read another report that same IBM is opening 2 more centers in noida and navi mumbai.

IBM sets up centre in Navi Mumbai- Hardware-Infotech-The Economic Times

IBM launches delivery centre in Noida

Recession in US will probably see some downturn in IT industry. There will more offshoring as US companies try to cut costs. So some large companies like IBM may fire ppl in US and hire more in India. But there will be a freeze as well in new spending/projects. So, i guess hiring in indian companies will slow down, raises will reduce.
Old 5th February 2008, 19:07   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Just read a newspaper report now that IBM is asking 700 ppl to leave...giving the same BS related to performance issues.

IBM said to have fired 700 freshers in India
These were not exactly freshers but campus hires who had been with the company for a year. And this was their probation period. After this, a test was conducted and the worst performers were asked to leave. Fair enough I would say.
Old 5th February 2008, 19:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
These were not exactly freshers but campus hires who had been with the company for a year. And this was their probation period. After this, a test was conducted and the worst performers were asked to leave. Fair enough I would say.
You mean to say 700 guys failed to perform in the probation test?

All this performance stuff is crap, they don't have or expect new projects, so axed the easier lot!
Old 5th February 2008, 19:26   #86
BHPian

Quote:
...a test was conducted and the worst performers were asked to leave. Fair enough I would say.
But 700 people? I thought IBM like companies recruit not even that much every year...
Old 5th February 2008, 19:30   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

All this performance stuff is crap, they don't have or expect new projects, so axed the easier lot!
Shocking but true. That could mean that they were not trained well enough though.

There is a gentleman from TCS(i think !) who now heads the Global Business Services at IBM. He is the one behind these moves. And it is not only about firing the programmers (ELTPs). This year the intake from B-schools has been only a fraction from what it used to be in the previous years.
Old 5th February 2008, 19:32   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
But 700 people? I thought IBM like companies recruit not even that much every year...
Exactly. That was the image IBM carried some time back. The general feeling amongst the top management now is that it is becoming too easy to get into IBM and hence have become more selective.

IBM hired almost as many as Infy / Wipro / TCS in the last couple of years because of their growing SAP and global offshore delivery practice.
Old 5th February 2008, 19:34   #89
BANNED

The beauty of a test is you can select 1 out of a million. Also eliminate 90 of 100. I can design a test where in I can eliminate 100 of 100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Old 5th February 2008, 19:50   #90
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Shocking but true. That could mean that they were not trained well enough though.

There is a gentleman from TCS(i think !) who now heads the Global Business Services at IBM. He is the one behind these moves. And it is not only about firing the programmers (ELTPs). This year the intake from B-schools has been only a fraction from what it used to be in the previous years.
My take is that this is as much a failure on IBM's part. They first hired 700 folks, couldnt train them and then couldnt find a place for them in their huge setup? Couldnt they move them to Ops or maintenance or infrastructure divisions?

Most Viewed