Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 19:55   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
My take is that this is as much a failure on IBM's part. They first hired 700 folks, couldnt train them and then couldnt find a place for them in their huge setup? Couldnt they move them to Ops or maintenance or infrastructure divisions?
I agree. It is IBM's failure too in terms of not being able to train them. I am not sure about exact figures, but these 700 (out of how many I dunno) could not clear a certain threshold in that exam.

Regarding their movement, what do you guys think ? Would it have made sense to move them to some role they may not have a future in or ask them to lookout for a better job elsewhere ?
Old 5th February 2008, 20:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Regarding their movement, what do you guys think ? Would it have made sense to move them to some role they may not have a future in or ask them to
lookout for a better job elsewhere ?
I feel until those guys find a better job elsewhere, move them to some other role or divisions within the Co. Axe is a very c(rude) weapon!
Old 5th February 2008, 20:03   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a gentleman from TCS(i think !) who now heads the Global Business Services at IBM.
Ahh.. the TCS virus is spreading quite fast now
Old 5th February 2008, 20:03   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I agree. It is IBM's failure too in terms of not being able to train them. I am not sure about exact figures, but these 700 (out of how many I dunno) could not clear a certain threshold in that exam.
Recruiting is not an exact science. It becomes exponentially difficult with scale. Even with extreme level of screening, you can still end up with bad apples, that is my first hand experience. Now imagine 1000s of candidates hired by the bus loads. Again everybody is not trainable, every training batch will have their star, average and bad performers. Finally the company has to decide whom to keep and whom to let go.
Old 5th February 2008, 20:04   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I feel until those guys find a better job elsewhere, move them to some other role or divisions within the Co. Axe is a very c(rude) weapon!
To some extent and percentage, yes it could have been worked out. But other than that, its a give and take for the company. They probably spent a fortune training them for a year and could not get value out of them. It would have been tough to retrain them in a different profile and then lose them to a competitor. Crude, but thats the way ot works sometimes.

Another interesting thought here is that Infy is reportedly giving a huge bonus payout this year. Building reputation whilst its competitors are getting notorious ?

Edit: Absolutely agree with Samurai. The scale of recruitments has led to a bigger percentage of mismatch between the company and the recruits.

And that is why this new focus on quality hiring. But cant say how long it will last.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th February 2008 at 20:07.
Old 5th February 2008, 20:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Never heard of it. Any particular incidents to recolleect & share
Recent examples with Citibank chucking out Chuck Prince. I know of a case where the entire IT department of a GE subsidiary was fired and half of the employees were rehired after a re-selection process. There are examples in my current company where many senior execs were fired for non performance.
Old 5th February 2008, 20:11   #97
BHPian

Quote:
You know what... there is a MNC in inner ring road which did exactly this. They invited some compines, and conducted an in house job fair(!!!) for all the people whom they have asked to leave. This happened not more than a month ago.
Old 5th February 2008, 20:13   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
You know what... there is a MNC in inner ring road which did exactly this. They invited some compines, and conducted an in house job fair(!!!) for all the people whom they have asked to leave. This happened not more than a month ago.
Whoa !!!

This is news. Have to ask -- Which company is this ?
Old 5th February 2008, 20:37   #99
BHPian

Quote:
This is news. Have to ask -- Which company is this ?
I am not sure i can tell the name... but i was positively shocked when i heard this. Its a very very nice gesture, but numbers where in low hundreds.

Samurai,
firing freshers in mass, is total mismanagement. I really don't know how many people IBM recruited. But 700 is justifiable only if they recruited some 3000, 4000 or like that.

And then, my own personal exp... BAAN(erstwhile competitor of SAP) recruited me from campus. It was the initial 2,3 company to visit my collage at beginning of the final year. And then we people were living out our last year in a bliss... not really carring that much about studies or rest of campus recruitment things. In my collage days, there was no second company choice too. So we just have to pass out, thats it...

And then when we had few weeks to our last semester, the hr team came back to collage and said, "We have hired 15 people from your collage, we dont want that many number of people, we need only 10, so either any 5 people can come forward or we will select those 5 people from our list". Guess what, my name was there in that list of 5 people they want to drop off... horrible it was.

But then i was doing internship in an MNC they had already made an offer to me.

Last edited by gkrishn : 5th February 2008 at 20:42.
Old 5th February 2008, 20:57   #100
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
And then, my own personal exp... BAAN(erstwhile competitor of SAP) recruited me from campus. It was the initial 2,3 company to visit my collage at beginning of the final year. And then we people were living out our last year in a bliss... not really carring that much about studies or rest of campus recruitment things. In my collage days, there was no second company choice too. So we just have to pass out, thats it...

And then when we had few weeks to our last semester, the hr team came back to collage and said, "We have hired 15 people from your collage, we dont want that many number of people, we need only 10, so either any 5 people can come forward or we will select those 5 people from our list". Guess what, my name was there in that list of 5 people they want to drop off... horrible it was.
My college's placement officer would have told Baan - Thank you very much. No one from our college will join your company. Also, next year, please do not waste my time by asking to come here for recruitment. Now, please leave the premises immediately, else my students will show you the college exit.
Old 5th February 2008, 21:05   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
My college's placement officer would have told Baan - Thank you very much. No one from our college will join your company. Also, next year, please do not waste my time by asking to come here for recruitment. Now, please leave the premises immediately, else my students will show you the college exit.
Well, you cant be so aggressive. There were still 10 people who will be joining them and we had no more companies coming to collage that year.

BaaN did this to all collages in coimbatore that year. Of course they never came again for recruitment... i guess the company started a downward spiral and i am not sure if it still exist. At that time they were based out of hyderabad.
Old 5th February 2008, 21:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

Sad truth! ill effects of globalization
Old 5th February 2008, 21:19   #103
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree with freshers recruitment. You get good apples, bad apples and few rotten ones also!!!

Just have to make sure that the rotten ones do not influence too much of the others.

Quote:
...But then i was doing internship in an MNC they had already made an offer to me.

OT : if so, then why didn't you offer yourself to be dropped out, in the first place?
Old 5th February 2008, 21:19   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i guess the company started a downward spiral and i am not sure if it still exist.
BaaN was takenover long back in 2000 by Invensys (UK based IT Co).
Old 5th February 2008, 22:00   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
OT : if so, then why didn't you offer yourself to be dropped out, in the first place?
Yeah i had opted out. Sadly, i was the only one who could... the rest had assumed their job.

Quote:
BaaN was takenover long back in 2000 by Invensys (UK based IT Co).
Hmmm... thats like a year later. My final year was 98-99.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks