Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2021, 21:37   #616
BHPian

Re: IT industry salary survey

Even your manager/mentor/colleagues behaviour can change over time. I would say dont treat anyone at workplace as a friend. Just try to maintain a good professional relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Loyalty in the IT industry seems to be a misunderstood or misaligned concept.

I now feel, after spending my years in the industry in India, loyalty is more a personal relationship with your Managers/Mentors and Colleagues. Never to the employer/organization as a whole. The organization will not spare 2 seconds to what you want if it doesn't align with their immediate goal (Talk about Capitalism).

The relations or loyalty that you build with your managers/mentors and co-workers goes a long way and helps in times of need to both parties.

People move between projects, departments and companies here. And they in-turn look for familiar faces/attitudes. That is what loyalty represents these days I believe. Not the best word in the old sense, but I hope you get the gist of what I am saying.
adithya.kp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 09:07   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
The relations or loyalty that you build with your managers/mentors and co-workers goes a long way and helps in times of need to both parties.

People move between projects, departments and companies here. And they in-turn look for familiar faces/attitudes.
+1

This network gets you best opportunities. I am sure we all know about situations where someone said I worked with him in XYZ, he is just the right guy for this.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 21:06   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-power View Post
However, just wondering how the market would react if/when all this dies down? Wouldn't the ones with the fat paychecks be the first ones to be let go?
Not necessarily.

The current trend of hiring (or retaining) people by giving big hikes is because companies are getting new projects. Even if the inflow of new projects comes down in future, the fat paycheck people need not be in immediate danger - as long as they bring value. To compensate for the increase in cost (at least partially), the non-performing people are usually let go.

Only when there is a recession-like scenario, where projects get cancelled and the inflow of new projects dries up, the companies begin to target the fat paycheck people. Otherwise when the company is taken over, the same thing can happen.
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 10:40   #619
BHPian

Average salary of an IT Project Manager
Part 1:
Looking for some inputs on the average salary of an IT Project Manager (SAP ERP) with 10 years or experience with an Indian IT Service giant. Recently my company merged with another IT company (no prizes for guessing) and the payscale as per grades have all gone for a toss. The turmoil IT industry is going through is another factor for near ZERO increments we have received this year.

I have been with the company since my MBA placement and in comfort zone with decent learning curve and opportunities (no onsite) and hence probably falling behind my fellow campus job getters. They have switched to other IT service giants like Infy, TCS or product company and have got minimum 35- 50% hikes.

Q. What is the average salary package (a range) for an MBA grad with 10 years of experience in SAP business unit working as a Project Manager?

Part 2:
I have just recently started to look out for jobs and have enrolled for resume writing services of Naukri. As always, they are pushing for the "entire package" for better job prospects. The cost is Rs. 14,000/- for the package for 3 months. Is it worth going for the package as I am genuinely looking for an opportunity. Probably if I have something in hand, I can negotiate with my current employer to match the salary as I am in a comfort zone and proved my work to senior leadership.

Part 3:
Is moving from an IT service company to a product company makes sense? I know the con would be no onsite but in return the work pressure shall be less, product companies pay more and there is job stability too.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 1st November 2023 at 10:41.
VWAllstar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 21:25   #620
Senior - BHPian

https://indiatechsalaries.com/#role

Excellent summary of IT salaries from 1 to 10 years of Experience. This data is from a headhunting firm and clearly lays out sample size for each benchmark. E.g.: 4321 data points for 3 Year Exp in backend.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 22:30   #621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Excellent summary of IT salaries from 1 to 10 years of Experience.
Is this only covering elite employers? At least 80% of the IT industry will go bankrupt if they have to pay even the median salary shown here. Thank god this is not a reality.
Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 22:39   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Part 2:
I have just recently started to look out for jobs and have enrolled for resume writing services of Naukri. As always, they are pushing for the "entire package" for better job prospects. The cost is Rs. 14,000/- for the package for 3 months. Is it worth going for the package as I am genuinely looking for an opportunity.
Absolutely don't, its a waste of money as they will create a generic template without understanding your skills and target audience, and without knowing which areas to highlight and which areas are lacking. I wasted 8k on this many moons back and seeing their quality of work, eventually gave up in frustration. Use any of the AI driven tools instead.
digitalnirvana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 23:25   #623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is this only covering elite employers? At least 80% of the IT industry will go bankrupt if they have to pay even the median salary shown here. Thank god this is not a reality.
Hmm so a 30L median salary for 10+ years experience for a software full stack engineer/developer is too much?
Even the non-elite IT service companies pay this much when it comes to "median" salary.
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 23:43   #624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hmm so a 30L median salary for 10+ years experience for a software full stack engineer/developer is too much? Even the non-elite IT service companies pay this much when it comes to "median" salary.
Does TCS count as non-elite, or is it too pedestrian?

Name:  Screenshot 20231106 234101.png
Views: 472
Size:  38.5 KB

The trouble with these headhunter-driven salary survey is simple enough. They mainly focus on 75th percentile and above. So, one ends up thinking that the median of the top 25% is the true median of the whole IT worker population.

IT is probably the only industry in India where freshers from top 10% colleges start with salaries higher than many experienced but average employees. That is because the difference in ability of an average employee vs good employee vs excellent employee is very wide. The salaries end up reflecting that.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th November 2023 at 07:23.
Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 23:56   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Absolutely don't, its a waste of money as they will create a generic template without understanding your skills and target audience, and without knowing which areas to highlight and which areas are lacking. I wasted 8k on this many moons back and seeing their quality of work, eventually gave up in frustration. Use any of the AI driven tools instead.
I got the first draft of my resume and indeed it wasn't to my expectation. I paid for it as I hardly find time to work on my resume or LinkedIn profile or job search. I am making sure of they re-writing my resume till I am satiated with the content and look (opted for Visual Resume than Text)
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 09:52   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am making sure of they re-writing my resume till I am satiated with the content and look
I'd suggest working on it yourself, these resume writing services aren't any good. What their USP was has easily been covered by free online resume templates and ChatGPT's summarizing/rewriting abilities. You'll get a much better result if you work on your resume yourself.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 10:24   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a chart that compares GCC, Unicorn and companies similar to TCS :

90 percentile :
IT industry salary survey-gcc_witch_unicorn.png

10 percentile :
IT industry salary survey-gcc_witch_unicorn_10_percentile.png
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 11:29   #628
BHPian

Quote:
I got the first draft of my resume and indeed it wasn't to my expectation. I paid for it as I hardly find time to work on my resume or LinkedIn profile or job search. I am making sure of they re-writing my resume till I am satiated with the content and look (opted for Visual Resume than Text)
There are good resume templates that can be purchased for a much lower price.
As others have mentioned it is better that you work on this.
Also, don't have one resume for all applications. Tweak your resume based on the JD. You may be able to highlight certain points based on the requirement.
rajesh1868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 08:17   #629
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2527545

The trouble with these headhunter-driven salary survey is simple enough. They mainly focus on 75th percentile and above. So, one ends up thinking that the median of the top 25% is the true median of the whole IT worker population.
And you think data from jobs posted on naukri have more reliable data ? Majority of jobs dont have a salary mentioned. From anecdotal/personal experience, if at 10 years you're getting paid 12-18 lpa for being full stack developer, you're literally worst of the worst in terms of skills. I have worked at TCS before and most of my friends in witch companies with 6-8 years experience are earning 20 lpa. Only those who are stuck in their 1st job and never switched (mostly waiting since years for onsite) are the ones earning very low
Burgman_tales is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 08:40   #630
BHPian

1. Salary ranges these days are in different extremes as your new offer always depends on the current CTC. Budget for a position also ranges a lot, it could be from 30L - 70L and both values are acceptable for the recruiter.

2. Resume writing services and priority listing services are good. Review the package and take necessary options.

3. Product companies are well paying. Work pressure has increased due to freeze in hiring from the last 1 year or so.
vinaydatla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks