Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:35   #181
BHPian

What I have seen is, in general, the average is 1Lakh+ per year.
To me, 6.8L for 6 years experience seems logical.
If you move to another company, the hike you get will be there for just the first year. Over time, your salary averages out and reach the industry standard for your experience.
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:26   #182
BHPian

Right said iamswift! Any jump one might get will settle over a period as the company would look at paring the salary of folks who are already working in that company! The median of salary would depend on type of Industry. Working in a Industry for close to 20 years here are my few suggestions
- look for job content/challenge, adding skills & performance culture among many aspects in a company/job
- Look for a salary that offers you a decent quality of life. You will never run out of mental peace!
- join a compnay that pays above the Median of that Industry/City!(For salary do not compare average, look at median)
- do not be a job hopper (changing every 2 or 3 yrs) especially if you are in product company. You will not learn in depth skill nor understand product life cycle
- If you are in a wrong job/not learning anything(you will find it in a year at the most)...quit at the earliest possible opportunity even if it means
- To be a manager you do not need an MBA, you need good adaptability, be a team player & understand what are your business imperatives
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:32   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Well the reason will look funny to atleast to some of you or maybe it is not . I interview people for my role and below roles for the company i work for. The salaries that these people that I interview get from my same company is around 40%-50% higher than what i get right now. Just feeling a bit left behind. My managers/hr tell that they don't have a choice but to pay a premium to get people from the market.
20% is what i have been promised for now. if i don't get that atleast then the decision of whether to quit or not becomes that much easier.
Yeah i quite understand what you going through. I was in same boat at some point of time after working for one major IT service company for 7 years. Finally i quit and joined a product company and i was much happier at least in terms of left behind salary part and product companies are any time better than service company if you ask me.
Old 24th May 2010, 00:32   #184
Senior - BHPian

@vishnurp99, take into account the 3 years you spent onsite and then calculate your average salary. Then compare that with what a guy with your experience a product company with minimal or no scope for long term onsite would have made? I guess your's would be more.
I work for a product company and have just over 6 years experience. I do make more than you but I haven't got (or don't expect any onsite opportunities).
What many people don't realize is that although product companies pay more, the concept of onsite doesn't exist here. So its your call, whether you want to make big money in a short period followed by a spell of less salary in a service company or good money throughout in a product company. If you think long term, everything will average out.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:17   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
@vishnurp99, take into account the 3 years you spent onsite and then calculate your average salary. Then compare that with what a guy with your experience a product company with minimal or no scope for long term onsite would have made? I guess your's would be more.
I work for a product company and have just over 6 years experience. I do make more than you but I haven't got (or don't expect any onsite opportunities).
What many people don't realize is that although product companies pay more, the concept of onsite doesn't exist here. So its your call, whether you want to make big money in a short period followed by a spell of less salary in a service company or good money throughout in a product company. If you think long term, everything will average out.
Bang on target. Its the choice between onsite in services company or Higher than average salary but NO onsite in product based company.
I have seen one of my friend quitting a product based company to join a service based company for onsite.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:23   #186
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Right said Fred!

This is very much true until you get to a prominent lead position say after 7-8 years. Service companies become Kanjoos to send an employee after he surpasses this level of experience because the cost involved is high (unless the Client is big revenue generator). This is not an absolute and can differ from company to company. Factors such as designation and the CTC associated would have to be inline with the local country which is not always cost effective. These folks are typically told to manage teams and projects back home in India with the decent packages. Then, the CTC without onsite travel suddenly becomes less attractive. Here onwards the Product based companies have the advantage. They attract the market by their above average packages and it makes sense for employees who do not crave for onsite (or for lack of opportunities) to jump ship to Product base companies.

Of course, this is considering job satisfaction, growth opportunities and domain.

I personally started with a low paying Indian product based company for 3 years, joined a service company and worked for 5 years (2 years onsite) and then back to a US based product based since last 2 years. And needless to say, there is a huge difference between what ex-colleagues from the services company are earning and What I'm earning. Through out this, I never changed my domain and the tool skills.
Old 1st June 2010, 16:29   #187
Senior - BHPian

Market Research

Guys,

What should be the salary for the following:

1) Product Managaer (IT Products company role/ Services companies don't have this role) (6+yrs): ??

2) Lead Business Analyst (IT Products /IT Services) (6+yrs): ??

3) Soultion Architect (IT Products /IT Services) (6+yrs): ??

4) Project Manager (IT Services)( IT Products tend to have Engineering Managers who are more tech oriented) (6+yrs): ??

This is preferably in NCR region. Else quote ofr Bnagalore as well. My personal opinion is that sals are more function of Company/Role than location.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st June 2010, 20:46   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,

1) Product Managaer (IT Products company role/ Services companies don't have this role) (6+yrs): ??

4) Project Manager (IT Services)( IT Products tend to have Engineering Managers who are more tech oriented) (6+yrs): ??

This is preferably in NCR region. Else quote ofr Bnagalore as well. My personal opinion is that sals are more function of Company/Role than location.

Thanks in advance.
Why u need all these comparision data?
6 year exp and project manager, tell me u r joking.
Old 1st June 2010, 22:26   #189
Team-BHP Support

Solution Architect @ 6 years is also pushing it and diluting the designation. Coming to think of it only the Lead BA will work for the years of experience
Old 2nd June 2010, 08:16   #190
BHPian

Quote:

1) Product Manager (IT Products company role/ Services companies don't have this role) (6+yrs): ??

Are you asking salary for these designations with already having 6+ years of experience in the these designations? coz none of the designation seems to fit for 6+ years experience guy.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:12   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

You are contemplating all these roles for a single guy?

Only in a very small company one would get glorified title with little experience. Yours truly used to be Chief Programmer at a company with only 1 year experience.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:29   #192
Senior - BHPian

Let's streamline this

Guys ,

Thanks for the overwhelming response! I can understand the confusion..

This is a friend of mine who is not a member of tbhp (although I am in similar role too) who is working in an IT Product company as Associate Product Manager. He has prior experience is IT serives as well (used to work as BA). He is pondering a switch.

Let's chuck out the 'Project Mnagaer' role since he is not a 'core techie' and does not want to head back to core development. I menationed 6+ yrs since he has that exp. I have also streamlined the roles that he is relevant to take up. Let's discuss the relevant salaries for the following:

1) Product Managaer (IT Products company role/ Services companies don't have this role) (6+yrs): ?? If he stick to the Product sphere.

Info:A person in this role usually may lead a team or can be individual contributer too. He is the owner of the Product

2) Lead Business Analyst (IT Products /IT Services) (6+yrs): ?? Both the type of companies have this role.

Info: Leads a team responsible for gathering requirements/ reserch market/talk to customers/UAT and so on...

Hope this clarifies the situation somewhat!
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:59   #193
BANNED

Quote:
in an IT Product company as Associate Product Manager.
I guess this is a startup or a small company.

He wants to move from the above role to a Product Manager role in a different firm with 6+ years of total experince or 6+ years of experience as an Associate Product Manager?

If its the former, he needs to look for small firms or startups.

If it is later stick to something in his domain.

Salaries would range from 15 lakhs per annum to a high of 1 crore per annum depending ofcourse on his expertise (my personal knowledge). But with 6+ years of experience (total Product Management experience only) he is looking at 15-20 lakhs.

Last edited by Spitfire : 2nd June 2010 at 15:01.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:16   #194
Senior - BHPian

Further research

Quote:
I guess this is a startup or a small company.

He wants to move from the above role to a Product Manager role in a different firm with 6+ years of total experince or 6+ years of experience as an Associate Product Manager?
Now we are talking! Well, what is the definition of a typical startup? ( Genuinely interested in knowing. Not a satirical remark). The company my friend works for is a US based IT Product company which is 12 years and 350 people old. Will it qualify as a startup? Also, he is not hell bent on taking up only 'Product Manager' role. He is open to sticking with the same title ('Associate Product Manager') or even open to a 'Lead BA' role. They ultimately do the same thing. I mean what you do is more important than your title!

Keep the figures pouring in!

On a different note: Which are the Product companies in Gurgaon/Noida? Pointers will help.
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:04   #195
BANNED

Quote:
Now we are talking!
Well dont get too excited.

First is it 6+ years A. Product Manager experience or total experience?

From your exuberance it seems the later.

Remember as a Product Manager you will get a salary compared to what the product is worth in the market and will surely depend on you showing some experience in earning good revenue from it.

Most Viewed