Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 12:22   #316
BHPian

Re: IT industry salary survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
What exactly is 1:1 salary policy ?
1:1 refers to Number of experience years : salary in lakhs.

Example - 4 years of experience : 4.XX lakhs salary

Hope this helps.
Old 6th September 2016, 12:23   #317
Team-BHP Support

One lakh per year of experience. The norm is usually between 1:1 to 2:1, anything outside that is rare.
Old 6th September 2016, 16:42   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have been talking about the connection between salary and work-life balance on this thread since 2008. Recently, I tried to collate all my thoughts about it
Super brilliant thoughts Sir

After quitting a job that paid nearly 1.5:1 more than a decade ago from one of the top 3 IT firm, I realized...

Money isn't everything; even if you've to struggle for your next meal...still...money isn't everything in life. The only difference money makes is...crying on your partner's shoulder versus crying on an Italian leather couch; crying is still inevitable, just that the duration & frequency varies.

Ever since I learned that, I learned few simple lessons on money just through experience, such as...
- Saving money
- Cutting down expenses & still lead comfortable life
- Differentiating between the expenditure for needs & wants
- Most importantly, how to control my life with whatever I make

Once I learned the above, I was surprised to see I didn't need a hefty paycheck every month. I was least bothered about what my friends make; didn't care what position they hold; I was only concerned what I do with what I make & whether or not it contributes to mine & my family's happiness.

Anyway to focus on this subject, with several hardships I learned through experience that a good work life balance PLUS doing what you like will keep anyone happy in a long run. Money can give an initial splurge of happiness, but will drain your energy even if you do what you like to do. At the same time, a good work life balance PLUS doing something that's not your primary skills will still keep us running, just that we will try & find alternatives, but certainly not lead to energy drain or burst out.

Last edited by aargee : 6th September 2016 at 16:44.
Old 6th September 2016, 17:18   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Ever since I learned that, I learned few simple lessons on money just through experience, such as...
- Saving money
- Cutting down expenses & still lead comfortable life
- Differentiating between the expenditure for needs & wants
- Most importantly, how to control my life with whatever I make

Once I learned the above, I was surprised to see I didn't need a hefty paycheck every month. I was least bothered about what my friends make; didn't care what position they hold; I was only concerned what I do with what I make & whether or not it contributes to mine & my family's happiness.
Thanks for these beautiful thoughts!
I guess these words are something that everyone has to learn on his own. A mind struggling in poverty (or rather mediocre salary statement ) will not understand that it does not need a truckload of money to make itself happy! However, when that truckload of money arrives, it brings along with it, probably two truckload of problems.
Without any knowledge on money management - expenses explode, EMIs start increasing until the point when one learns that money does not bring happiness.
One simple check point is, to ask ourselves frequently - am I living happily than I was 5 or 10 years ago, when I was earning much lesser.
The expenses adjust according to the salary levels very easily. Otherwise, with every increment we receive, we should be lot more comfortable every month right?
Old 6th September 2016, 17:30   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
What exactly is 1:1 salary policy ?
Number of years : Salary in Lacks. This is a common term in Service companies think. Once the HR told me when i ask about the reason for mediocre hike the company given me. According to her 1:1 is the standard in Indian IT service companies.
Old 6th September 2016, 17:49   #321
BHPian

On the 1:1 (CTC per year in lacs INR : number of years) policy, Current state is that people would work with 1:1 only if there is a possibility H1B or at least L1 or other long term assignment in US/UK/EU. Otherwise 1.5:1 is minimum, especially for Bangalore where even 2:1 can not be considered very high.
Old 6th September 2016, 18:57   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
One simple check point is, to ask ourselves frequently - am I living happily than I was 5 or 10 years ago, when I was earning much lesser
Thanks for the reminder; at one point, I realized that I used to be a super happy person when I used to make my stipend & over the years, I made my life miserable comparing it with others.

Once I started living for myself, giving importance to simple things, I learned many valuable lessons in life. Ofcourse, as I started learning, I was also able to find some Gurus for life & I'm sure he's reading this

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
The expenses adjust according to the salary levels very easily. Otherwise, with every increment we receive, we should be lot more comfortable every month right?
Easier said than done because there's something called INFLATION that's silently killing all of us

Last edited by aargee : 6th September 2016 at 18:58.
Old 6th September 2016, 19:30   #323
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Otherwise 1.5:1 is minimum, especially for Bangalore where even 2:1 can not be considered very high.
I guess this is true, especially for Bangalore.

Not too sure but I think fresh Engineering grads start off at 4 to 6 lakhs per annum these days in the IT industry ?

Quote:
I have been talking about the connection between salary and work-life balance on this thread since 2008. Recently, I tried to collate all my thoughts about it.
Excellently articulated @samurai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
After quitting a job that paid nearly 1.5:1 more than a decade ago from one of the top 3 IT firm, I realized...

Money isn't everything; even if you've to struggle for your next meal...still...money isn't everything in life. The only difference money makes is...crying on your partner's shoulder versus crying on an Italian leather couch; crying is still inevitable, just that the duration & frequency varies.
Very well said, straight from the heart and based on your own experience. Peer pressure, social stigma are big maladies that afflict many of us. Thinking out of the box, taking a step back and finding happiness without burning oneself is the key, in one word "contentment" or rather the lack of it is what makes people hamsters in this rat race.

Last edited by NPV : 6th September 2016 at 19:36.
Old 6th September 2016, 19:46   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
1:1 refers to Number of experience years : salary in lakhs.

Example - 4 years of experience : 4.XX lakhs salary

Hope this helps.
Quote:
One lakh per year of experience. The norm is usually between 1:1 to 2:1, anything outside that is rare.
The ratio would hold true maybe for those who started 8-10+ years back? This holds true for me too (1:1), though I am not directly in IT but in ITES.

In today's times, freshers start at a minimum of 4 or 5.
With a couple of jumps of 30% each in first 4 years, by the time they are 4 years in experience the salary is already 2.5 times at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Once the HR told me when i ask about the reason for mediocre hike the company given me. According to her 1:1 is the standard in Indian IT service companies.
HR will have n number of reasons ready for an answer to that query, though in most cases they would not even know the exact reason behind the low hike on an individual level. There are a standard list of answers they can give on each FAQ's and your query was probably one of the highest FAQ to them.
Reasons could be multiple wherein
a) the company itself is going through a rough phase
b) performance based (mainly where the bell curve methodology is used)
c) a spat with the management in the past.

In any case, a good rapport with your immediate supervisor always helps in getting honest answers to such questions. You can then decide the future course, based on such honest one-on-one.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 6th September 2016 at 19:52.
Old 6th September 2016, 19:52   #325
BANNED

Probably helps to make things a bit more clear:
Attached Thumbnails
IT industry salary survey-image.jpeg  

Old 6th September 2016, 22:28   #326
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
HR will have n number of reasons ready for an answer to that query, though in most cases they would not even know the exact reason behind the low hike on an individual level.
True this. The bell curve affects salary hikes/increments but one of the biggest problems is pay parity which is mostly missing. Though most MNCs do have the salary grade and bands it is too wide and there will be many people on the lower ends of the bands. This also happens due to the fact that offers are made to new joiners relative to their previous salary and that could make the new employee end up on the lower end of a band at the new employer.
And this continues usually without being corrected/rationalised.

Last edited by NPV : 6th September 2016 at 22:31.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 23:00   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

The example of Uber/Flipkart, etc. is missing one important point: engineering/technology budget is not the main source of their burn. The "crazy high salary" is a great thing to happen because it offers the right incentive for engineers to strive for excellence. Great engineers are essential for innovation. This is a cultural shift that some of you are missing. The risk appetite and ambition levels are rapidly growing and there won't be a reset. Yes bubbles and irrational phenomena come with the package but we are not going back to Infosys era. In the automative speak, the days of Reva are gone and we are heading into Tesla days.
Old 6th September 2016, 23:22   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The "crazy high salary" is a great thing to happen because it offers the right incentive for engineers to strive for excellence. Great engineers are essential for innovation. This is a cultural shift that some of you are missing.
Are you trying to tell us that Great engineers are motivated primarily by money? or that innovation is primarily driven by money?
Old 6th September 2016, 23:36   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering all these if i make a switch in career in US, how much salary i can expect. I may get around 70-80K/Year dollars from my current company.
Since everyone is caught up with 1:1 or 2:1 debate, let me give you an answer. Your current salary has nothing to do with what you will make in the US. It will depend on your skill set and more importantly the city. Someone in NY and SF for example will earn significantly more than the person doing the same work in a smaller city.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 06:09   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Number of years : Salary in Lacks. This is a common term in Service companies think. Once the HR told me when i ask about the reason for mediocre hike the company given me. According to her 1:1 is the standard in Indian IT service companies.
Doesn't apply for testing I guess. Manual testing/Automation are in huge demand. With 4 years of automation experience in Hyderabad, people are earning about 7 lakhs per annum

Most Viewed