Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 11:34   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: IT industry salary survey

Hi,

This maybe a bit OT, but any reviews on this new merger between CSC and HPe named DXC?

Is it worth joining compared to TCS/Accenture?

Heard news about them firing people due to lack of projects lately. I have 10+ years experience and hence wanna play it a bit safe

Kinda urgent. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Soumen
Old 7th February 2018, 12:30   #362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

Heard news about them firing people due to lack of projects lately....
Generic piece of advice from hiring experience.

AVOID taking a project-specific offer, unless you're OK with a potential short-term assignment.

Projects get shelves for a variety of reasons, and even having broader relevant skills doesn't always guarantee a resource will get absorbed into the pool.
Old 7th February 2018, 12:50   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Projects get shelves for a variety of reasons, and even having broader relevant skills doesn't always guarantee a resource will get absorbed into the pool.
That's not the problem currently. I already know the project I would be joining in and have had a word with the team as well, its an ongoing project.

My doubt is once this is over after around 6 months what then? Usually that's where a company's policies come into play. How long do they usually hold on to resources in free-pool/bench before the next assignment. Usually TCS/Wipro/Infy/Accenture holds on to resources for around 3-4 months atleast before any substantial step. But since DXC is relatively newer(atleast on paper) and not too many friends/acquaintances there hence asked if someone here know about it.
Old 5th March 2018, 16:08   #364
Team-BHP Support

These are the top 10 tech companies to work for in India
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/28/indi...in-top-10.html

Name:  105030469Indeed_Top_10_300dpi.600x400.png
Views: 3369
Size:  45.0 KB
Old 5th March 2018, 18:23   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
These are the top 10 tech companies to work for in India
I lost it at the second paragraph...

Quote:
That is partially thanks to the country's abundance of highly skilled technical graduates, whose numbers are growing at a rate of 7 percent per year, according to the latest study from India's ministry of commerce and industry.
I clicked on the link to figure out how TCS got into this list. The second paragraph told me this is a fantasy article.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 19:17   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I lost it at the second paragraph.
The second paragraph told me this is a fantasy article.

It says the ranking is based on reviews of former and current employees.

Quote:
Based on reviews from current or former employees, U.S. employment search engine company Indeed has ranked the top technology companies to work for in India. firms known for valuing their employees and offering them great opportunities for career progression," said Sashi Kumar, managing director of Indeed India. He added that they also placed a strong emphasis on leadership programs and company culture.
Old 4th April 2019, 18:18   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]The feeling of being underpaid is a self imposed one. As an employee, if you think you are underpaid, look at the intangibles you are getting. If the intangibles are substantial, then consider yourself cured. If you think the intangibles are not adequate, or you don’t value them much, then it may be the wrong company for you. Then the cure can be found only by moving to a better matched employer.[/list]
I am quoting an old post, but wanted to express. This, Sir, is a very powerful statement. I had read this post a couple of years ago but could not connect with it. After spending a few more years in IT, i happened to stumble upon this post from your reference in another thread and when i read it again, your thoughts in the post resonated with me.
Old 4th April 2019, 19:44   #368
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, that article I wrote 4 years ago brings out very different reactions from people, depending on their experience. In your case, person was same, but experience changed.
Old 15th July 2020, 12:47   #369
Team-BHP Support

Re: Recession Again ?

As the COVID19 induced economy is killing jobs by millions and sending millions to work from home, this salary thread is unusually silent despite all the pay reduction.

Quote:
As the inflation increases, cost of living increases. Will you work in a company that doesn't give you hike every year? Do you deny that cost of living is increasing every year?
I have always insisted on the close connection between cost of living (COL) and salaries. The demand/supply ratio can influence it to some extent, but not entirely. Right now, COVID19 has completely disrupted the job market by reducing demand. That means COL reigns supreme again. On one hand, there is pandemic induced inflation, everything is more expensive. On the other hand, employees are hardly commuting, reducing their transportation and food expenses.

In fact, employees can work from their home towns rather than at the expensively metros where their employer is located. That means even rents will go down, along with plethora of living expenses, bringing the COL significantly down.

The newsletter from The Ken was talking about how it is making the corporation think of taking a bite out of this savings for the employees. Since salaries are fundamentally based on COL (which most employees never realise during the boom times), corporations are thinking of fixing the pay based on where you live. So if you are an employee working from your home town of Davanagere, but in a Bangalore based company, you will get salary based on Davangere cost of living.

What about demand/suppy you ask? Suddenly, thanks to work for home, the employers have access to huge employee base, who just require a good broadband connection and ready to work from anywhere. Demand has gone down, supply has jumped 100 fold.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 12:59   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since salaries are fundamentally based on COL (which most employees never realise during the boom times), corporations are thinking of fixing the pay based on where you live.
Long before the covid situation, I was ready to take up to a 25% cut in pay if the company allowed me to work from home/remotely. The daily commute in Bangalore traffic seemed just too pointless to me and I felt the reduced stress would be more than worth it to me. Neither my team nor any of the other companies I applied to really took that seriously, they all assumed that something must be wrong with me for wanting to do that!

Now of course, we've all been working from home and so far my company has not decided to cut salaries (or jobs). But I think it's only a matter of time. After all, our clients who have businesses in the real world are certainly taking a beating during this situation and that will certainly have an effect soon.

On the contrary, my company seems very keen on retaining our huge office space and even keeps paying the cab service provider a very decent sum each month! Even though we haven't used either for the past 4 months and doesn't seem likely we'll do so anytime soon. Laudable sentiment in terms of keeping vendor jobs and all that, but I wonder if that will continue to be the case once the inevitable job cuts start.

Last edited by am1m : 15th July 2020 at 13:00.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:21   #371
BHPian

Quote:
So if you are an employee working from your home town of Davanagere, but in a Bangalore based company, you will get salary based on Davangere cost of living.
Let me take my hometown in N Karnataka, for instance. I agree that the rentals are low for a 2BHK (8k - 10k) per month but rest of the other expenses will remain the same. Prices of groceries, vegetables, household items, fuel, telephone are all comparable to Bengaluru. In fact, some of the items I get from DMart in Bengaluru are cheaper than in my hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
On the contrary, my company seems very keen on retaining our huge office space and even keeps paying the cab service provider a very decent sum each month!
This must be probably due to the lease contracts signed with the facility owners.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th July 2020 at 13:50. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:28   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
This must be probably due to the lease contracts signed with the facility owners.
Yep, most probably. But don't all such contracts have some sort of 'force majeure' clause for situations like this? I'm not sure how it works, would like to find out.
Old 15th July 2020, 14:12   #373
Senior - BHPian

This situation clearly had the potential now to take the jobs to People as opposed to having people move places for the jobs. The challenge will be for the Compensation teams to try and put a framework of a COL based pay. That is not something easy to do given that most frameworks are basis the level or band or position or title. It sure will be interesting to see how this pans out over the next couple of years. And like Samurai rightly point out , the talent pool that you can now tap into is such a wide net and that's a huge boon on recruitment of people.
Old 15th July 2020, 14:52   #374
BHPian

In my opinion, working from home forever ( Even in IT industry) is not every effective. In person interaction makes a lot of difference.
Other issue is school for kid(s). ( May not be applicable to all). Once you get used to a school, it will be very difficult to change. Of course, going foreword this may also get disrupted and go the online way.

I heard that a lot of people have moved out of bangalore ( so that they dont have to pay rent) and are planning to work from their hometown till things settle down. Any truth to it?. Where do they dump their stuff ?

Btw does anybody know how is the situation out there?. Are there salary cuts/layoffs happening?. (Not talking about the ones already reported in the media). I have heard very few salary cut stories. No layoffs so far.

Quote:
In fact, employees can work from their home towns rather than at the expensively metros where their employer is located. That means even rents will go down, along with plethora of living expenses, bringing the COL significantly down.
Old 15th July 2020, 14:52   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Now of course, we've all been working from home and so far my company has not decided to cut salaries (or jobs). But I think it's only a matter of time.

On the contrary, my company seems very keen on retaining our huge office space and even keeps paying the cab service provider a very decent sum each month! ... I wonder if that will continue to be the case once the inevitable job cuts start.
I feel companies, at least the bigger ones will take a conservative approach to long term WFH. The current WFH situation cannot be used as true use case. Right now, the productivity is high or at par with earlier levels because people are conscious of the current situation and mindful about job security. Plus, they don't have anything else to do, in terms of going out or socializing. Once the situation improves, it is left to be seen how many of these people show the same level of dedication when working remotely. Many youngsters might not have the maturity even.
Jaguar is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks