Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 15:46   #16
BHPian

How about looking at the other way round one should ask what one feels is right if you don't get it leave find a place where you get that kind of money.
Don't let the employer choose you
you be the one to choose your employer.
Old 31st January 2008, 16:18   #17
BHPian

man....i am grossly underpaid!
time to talk to my manager!! or still better pass him the link to the forum

Regards,
Old 31st January 2008, 16:27   #18
BHPian

Going by the data here, I think I am paid fairly well in my current job. I work for a product development company that is based in the UK. I work for the India subsidiary in Pune.

In Pune, there are MNCs like Barclays who are opening up their coffers and offering salaries that might seem overkill. But thats how it is!

Whereas services-oriented desi companies pay much less here.
Old 31st January 2008, 16:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Generally, from what I have seen in Financial Services and Consulting domains, Mumbai salaries are used as a benchmark. Then there is a "City Discount Factor" applied to Mumbai CTC and salaries for other cities is arrived at. This, I am talking about a company having multi-locational presence.

e.g. if Mumbai package for a 2-4 years MBA guy in consulting is 12-15 lpa, then probably the Hyd package would be discounted by 15-20% and Delhi/NCR package would be discounted by 5-10%
Old 31st January 2008, 16:39   #20
Team-BHP Support

What is the expected salary in NCR for someone who does a MBA(1 year or 2 year) after working for around 8 years in software industry?
Does that software experience have much advantage?
Old 31st January 2008, 16:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
What is location of your friend? Bangalore?
Yes, infact he told me that the max an software guy can get(this was some 6,7 months back) is of 3x factor. (3 x no of years). When he told this all the blood in my brain drained off...

If not 3, atlest i have seen 2.5x factor to be more true. But they are mostly true for MNC, who make such offer when you join them.

I guess there are some HR folks here, who should be able to throw some light on this...
Old 31st January 2008, 16:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
man....i am grossly underpaid!
time to talk to my manager!! or still better pass him the link to the forum

Regards,
You took words out of my mouth buddy.. glad to see that I have some company
Old 31st January 2008, 16:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Generally, from what I have seen in Financial Services and Consulting domains, Mumbai salaries are used as a benchmark. Then there is a "City Discount Factor" applied to Mumbai CTC and salaries for other cities is arrived at. This, I am talking about a company having multi-locational presence.

e.g. if Mumbai package for a 2-4 years MBA guy in consulting is 12-15 lpa, then probably the Hyd package would be discounted by 15-20% and Delhi/NCR package would be discounted by 5-10%
That is correct. I remember from one of my earlier organizations; they had offices in 3 cities. All the factors in the salary slip would be same for two guys in two different cities. However, the only factor that would differ was a city allowance. So a person in Pune would be paid more city allowance than a person in a relatively low-cost city.
Old 31st January 2008, 18:14   #24
BHPian

My experience is that salary in IT product based companies depends on the number of companies which work in same domain in the same city/state. For example, in Bangalore almost every MNC has its development office and thats why high competition and thats why higher salaries.
Old 31st January 2008, 18:18   #25
BANNED

Those are very good inputs. My appraisal is due in Feb. Let me see how much more can I get
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
To get more salary from your current job, I will share my secret. First you need to show that you are overloaded. If your manager sees that you are working happily, you won't get much in appraisal. Second never show that you are satisfied with your salary, you want some more. and the last and this is what I call "Brahamastr". Get an offer letter, when you are close to your appraisal and ask your manager that this is what I have been offered, if you are ready to increase my salary, I am here or else I am gone.
PS-The last point may work against you. It depends company to company, so try to at your own risk.
Old 31st January 2008, 18:22   #26
BHPian

Underpaid is an understatement in my case, is it true bangalore scale is higher that chennai ?
Old 31st January 2008, 18:22   #27
BANNED

In my experience there are some companies who dole out goodies after goodies to the employees. And there are some who start & finish with a ice-cream party.
So, who are the top paymasters in the industry? Heard GOOG, MSFT are their at the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Underpaid is an understatement in my case, is it true bangalore scale is higher that chennai ?
Dude, you have to hit the right company.

Last edited by diabloo : 31st January 2008 at 18:26.
Old 31st January 2008, 19:54   #28
BHPian

VMWare and some startup pay amounts which will bring your whole eyes ***** on ground.Yeah they make you work
Old 31st January 2008, 20:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
and the last and this is what I call "Brahamastr". Get an offer letter, when you are close to your appraisal and ask your manager that this is what I have been offered, if you are ready to increase my salary, I am here or else I am gone.
PS-The last point may work against you. It depends company to company, so try to at your own risk.
when I was in infy, my delivery head signed a programmer's resignation letter and asked him not to come from the next day, without even asking a single question. The poor fellow was only trying to negotiate.
Old 31st January 2008, 20:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. IM am in HR but from a NON-IT company. The general rule in new age companies is experience X 1.5 factor.
An MBA with pedigree takes it even higher. In Bangy, generally, MNC IT companies pay the highest. Indian companies pay lesser than their MNC counterparts in most industries. I heard TCS is a not-so good paymaster and makes up for it by sending the engineer on an Off site project and they earn there. Same for Infy.
When changing jobs, the thumb rule is at least 40-45% rise. Then you can negotiate for at least 30%.
And the trick of showing an offer letter from another company to get a hike in the present company may not work!! Just imagine the company agrees for one case and all employees start doing this. Companies (read HR) do not want to be shown as cowards who mowed under pressure.. IN my 3 years in the present organisation, this has not happened even once.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks