Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2008, 20:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
And the trick of showing an offer letter from another company to get a hike in the present company may not work!! Just imagine the company agrees for one case and all employees start doing this. Companies (read HR) do not want to be shown as cowards who mowed under pressure.. IN my 3 years in the present organisation, this has not happened even once.
actually it does work with non tangible banefits, like moving to a different unit/location, going onsite etc. Which is mostly when the immediate manager can make these decisions but who has no direct control on the hike.

And that gentleman, brings to our next topic, politics in workplace affecting benefits (not salary).
Old 1st February 2008, 17:14   #32
BHPian

I think now a days HR is very rigid on counter offers.So best way is to keep good rapport with Seniors and also work hard!.
Also keep rapport with friends who can update you with value of you in market.Never be stagant.

You should know your value,others are not interested!
Old 1st February 2008, 20:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
So best way is to keep good rapport with Seniors and also work hard
Perception of how you work is most important! Even if you don't work hard, at least pretend you're working hard.

Usually lazy programmers are most efficient ones But while while it comes of appraisals, they are not appreciated.

And the 1st thumb rule of getting higher package is to change job frequently (not every year but definitely after 3 years at least). If you come back in same company after switching, you'll get more than what you'd have got if you stayed there entire period.
Old 1st February 2008, 20:55   #34
Team-BHP Support

How true.
I know a guy who jumped jobs when company announced no salary hike.
He was getting as much as his peers and the jump gave him 40%.
After 1 year the new company gives him a 20% hike.
Another year later he quits and joins old company and gets 30%.
So his salary doubled in 2 years while all his peers were just around 35-40% more!

This is a true story. The guy was an acquaintance.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2008, 22:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How true.
I know a guy who jumped jobs when company announced no salary hike.
He was getting as much as his peers and the jump gave him 40%.
After 1 year the new company gives him a 20% hike.
Another year later he quits and joins old company and gets 30%.
So his salary doubled in 2 years while all his peers were just around 35-40% more!

This is a true story. The guy was an acquaintance.
Makes me wanna change my career right now! If there's a field that doesn't pay you well,its research. You either need to have a PhD or be in the management side of a Biotech/pharmaceutical firm.
And I happen to be in research!
Old 1st February 2008, 23:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

a figure of 1.5 to 2 times the number of years is a salary that is common. anything more will mean you are lucky!

and as mentioned here earlier, the best way to get a hike is to jump. not every 1 year but 3 years or so. There are people who will counter this by saying or showing people who stuck on to the same company for xx years and are now in very senior positions. My question to them is, well, if everyone has stuck back in the company, what would have happened? All of them would be in 'very senior' positions?

I recently changed job. if i had stayed in my previous organization (of 3 years, exactly! :-) ) i would have got 15% hike (max!!!). But I jumped and now i am getting double of what I used to get. It is so great to see those figures in your bank statement on the last day of the month!

Previously I used to feel bad because people whom I trained (freshers) left the organization and few more jumps later were earlier same or more than what I was getting!!!

But the side effect of this: the current organization is paying them a premium and they will not be able to get any more due to their years of exp vs salary being paid. so, this means, they are stuck to that company; unless they are ready to take a pay cut to join a new one!
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2008, 23:34   #37
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone care for job satisfaction, self actualization and work-life balance? I always have had salary well below industry standard, but I am glad to have been compensated with the perks from my first sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manziee_crusier View Post
exp.............salary
============
0-1 years 3.5-4 lpa
0-1 years 6-10 lpa (IIT campus)
Aren't these numbers very misleading? Surely these are not industry averages. What is the starting salary in TCS/Wipro/Infy, let's leave out exotic companies for a moment.
Old 2nd February 2008, 10:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
exp.............salary
============
0-1 years 3.5-4 lpa
0-1 years 6-10 lpa (IIT campus)

Aren't these numbers very misleading? Surely these are not industry averages. What is the starting salary in TCS/Wipro/Infy, let's leave out exotic companies for a moment.
Yes the numbers are indeed misleading, I am BTech, IIT Kanpur class of 2001, during that time, the following was offered by the biggies (for Undergrads):
TCS - 1.99 lakhs
Infosys - 2.2 lakhs
Wipro - 2.3 lakhs

Whereas the midsized companies paid a lot more in the tune of 3.4 lakhs to 6 lakhs...
I dont think the numbers of the big three has changed much in last years probably between 2.5 - 3 lakhs now (dont know the exact figures)

Abhi
akroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2008, 10:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone care for job satisfaction, self actualization and work-life balance? I always have had salary well below industry standard, but I am glad to have been compensated with the perks from my first sentence
Won't be long before IT becomes a blue collar job. Going to the office will feel like going to a factory. I quit my job in a large IT co and joined a much smaller company. And then promptly that company was sold to a HUGE MNC IT company . Now I am planning to quit IT all together.. Job satisfaction is a distant dream here.. Make money while the sun shines.
Old 2nd February 2008, 10:46   #40
BHPian

May sound stupid here, but I have always focussed more on whether I am enjoying the job. When I have, I have stuck on to the same job while others with me moved on to much higher levels. I am in finance & accounts, and in any case working late hours is sort of standard. So, finding the job interesting has helped me in remaining ... (happy?).

I earn much less than many of my peers, but I still don't regret not having moved on.

Of course, I am only speaking for myself here . I don't in any way mean to say that people who move frequently do it just for the money. So, please take no offence.
Old 2nd February 2008, 10:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Yes the numbers are indeed misleading, I am BTech, IIT Kanpur class of 2001, during that time, the following was offered by the biggies (for Undergrads):
TCS - 1.99 lakhs
Infosys - 2.2 lakhs
Wipro - 2.3 lakhs

Whereas the midsized companies paid a lot more in the tune of 3.4 lakhs to 6 lakhs...
I dont think the numbers of the big three has changed much in last years probably between 2.5 - 3 lakhs now (dont know the exact figures)

Abhi
MAkes me wonder really. Mid size and large Non-IT companies pay 4-4.5 L for starting MBA/ Engineers from tier 2 and tier 3 institutes. Looks like IT engineers are not paid as much in the initial stages. They make money later and on on-sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Won't be long before IT becomes a blue collar job. Going to the office will feel like going to a factory. I quit my job in a large IT co and joined a much smaller company. And then promptly that company was sold to a HUGE MNC IT company . Now I am planning to quit IT all together.. Job satisfaction is a distant dream here.. Make money while the sun shines.
Good point. I remember in my company, we stopped all canteen and bus facilities for employees owing to the administration hassles and cashed it out. Now in the IT and BPO division of our company, we have been forced to start the facility owing to the industry practice. It has become a differentiating factor in many cases. During interviews its not uncommon to face candidates who ask about canteen facilities (is there a food court, continental food, chinese food, south indian snacks). what are the transportation facilities (XYZ company provides me a bus from outside my building, other company has a 20 seater, Indica). These become differentiating factors when selecting companies at the entry level.
Old 2nd February 2008, 10:55   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a resource I've found quite useful in arriving at benchmarks for IT:

Itpaycheck.com - Pay Revision with the Salary Calculator

The same resource also features salary structures for the other 2 main industries in India - Manufacturing and Finance:

Salary checkers worldwide - compare and share your salary, wage, benefits, compensation and pay
Old 2nd February 2008, 11:25   #43
BHPian

No one has commented on the salaries in the manufacturing sector... In the field of engines as well? Anyone around in the very small family of IC engines?
Old 2nd February 2008, 14:45   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does anyone care for job satisfaction, self actualization and work-life balance? I always have had salary well below industry standard, but I am glad to have been compensated with the perks from my first sentence.

Nope, IIT people(unless they don't get any job, a rarity) get a starting from 5.5L+.
As for the normal companies its more like 3L for freshers. MNCs go to 5L
Old 2nd February 2008, 15:01   #45
Team-BHP Support

Who are we talking about here, MBAs or just BE/Btech?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks