Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2012, 22:12   #166
BHPian

Re: Dangerous Superstitions on Indian Roads

Once, I was being overtaken by a bus while passing by a mosque and all of a sudden I heared loud knocking noises from all over my cars body. It heard like four trucks banged my car from four sides. I got shocked for a moment and pulled over just to see 20+ coins scattered on the road that were bounced all over my car. Yes, it was thrown by the people in the bus. It would have been a hundred times better if they managed to find time to park the bus and collected the coins and donated to the mosque. If I was at a bit higher speed, the coins would have shattered my glasses. A perfect example of a dangerous act blended with superstition, but considered as divine act.
Old 8th September 2012, 22:49   #167
BHPian

I have heard this, but not verified the facts.

On the highways of Tamilnadu, the long distance lorry drivers knocks down a dog to avoid further accidents on the highways.
Old 8th September 2012, 22:49   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with many here, but some are not so much superstitious.
I start my car (in the morning or the first drive of the day) after praying and moving a few inches forward, before reversing, if i have to reverse that is.
Sometimes when driving,when i feel unsafe, i touch the centre of the steering and pray.
When i pass by a temple, does a mini namaste, but with one hand on the wheel and the eyes on the roads.
But something like cats crossing the road are all pukka superstitions.
And BTW. the bare foot driving. Most orry/bus drivers are accustomed to it, and am sure most of the novice drivers start driving like that in the rurals.
Old 8th September 2012, 23:08   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
However, I have heard about a weird story on how this superstition started in India and, if the story is to be believed, that has nothing to do with Indians.
Very informative post indeed! Thanks.
I have heard another logic from few people. if a cat crosses your way, its an indication to warn you of some impending danger to you. So by stopping for few seconds, you can let that dangerous event (mishap, etc.) to occur before you reach that spot. Eg. A falling tree or rock, a careless kid crossing the road, or many other things which can involve you in an accident.
I personally never get bothered much a cat crossing the road and sometimes have even noticed that the cat gets shocked by the oncoming vehicle and turns back so the cat crossing the road event itself is aborted.
But I do stand and wait while driving if none other than a snake is crossing the road.
Old 8th September 2012, 23:26   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
But I do stand and wait while driving if none other than a snake is crossing the road.
Yes, I too stop and let the animal (snake or anything, even a cat) to cross. Would not like to run over any animal. But that has nothing to do with any superstition.
Old 8th September 2012, 23:47   #171
Senior - BHPian

I have heard my cousing saying that, Don't reverse the car after starting it, take it forward and then reverse.

I was like, you're a idiot and He still follows this, whereas I don't care about it

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 9th September 2012, 18:01   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
And I haven't heard of any two wheeler going over that watermelon (or is that a pumpkin?) and falling off the bike either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I have seen a lot people (In front of Temples) break pumpkins, coconut on the road. Run over a lemon and just leave it on the road. Put some kinda burning lamp on the road etc.

This poses a very big hazard for fellow road users especially two wheelers.

Oh c'mon have some respect for people out on the road too!

Full Article here... A old one tho'. But nothing has changed at all till date :(
I remember that one of the courts in TN had issued a ban on leaving the pumpkin (they are ash pumpkin to be precise) on the road. This must be sometime in 2005-2006
Old 9th September 2012, 19:02   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
However, I have heard about a weird story on how this superstition started in India and, if the story is to be believed, that has nothing to do with Indians. Apparently, it came from London, when street driving in India was in its preliminary days. A car in London would stop in a residential locality if a cat crosses the road just as a safety measure. Because, the cat, in all probability, would be chased by a child trying to catch the cat and he would be crossing the road immediately after the cat crossed!
Somehow, this habit of stopping cars stayed on in India and became a superstition!
naah! this has nothing to do with london. It is considered inauspicious to cross the path of a black cat in parts of eastern India. It applies to walking, driving, everything. There are two ways to avoid this - you wait for another guy to cross, or you walk/drive backwards a little, and then continue forward.

In time this rule has started applying to all cats.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:20   #174
BANNED

@manolin; When I was a student the Hostel Manager had a black cat. So it was pretty common to see it cross the road. On the day I was going for my PhD thesis defence the cat crossed the oad in front of me. Did off-put me a bit, but no damage resulted.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 11:02   #175
BHPian

This happened a few years back on the Loyola College under pass in Chennai.
Some kind soul had passed away, and there was a procession to the cremation grounds. As is custom with the hindu religion, they guys in the procession were throwing around garlands and loose rose petals, marigold flowers etc. in about ten min, cars behind the procession mashed the flowers and made them a slimy mess on the road. I think the road was also wet from a few hrs or rain before that. This road became a nightmare for two wheelers for hours later. I was stuck in a jam on the opposite side, and I counted atleast 5-7 two wheelers skidding there, and out of them 2 girls actually fell down and hurt themselves.
Old 10th September 2012, 11:37   #176
BHPian

Yeah, the black cat crossing thingy can be real dangerous and I saw a Tavera banging an auto from behind (no pun intended ) just cause the auto panic braked as a kitty crossed it from the front.

Sorry for OT but I think the cat crossing superstition does have a logical precedent on India. Let's go back to the old times, when we had no T-BHP. Or rather let's go back a lot further when people used to travel/transport using bullock carts passing through lonely forest tracks. Now these people had a terrible fear of predators, usually big cats like Leopards/Panthers and others like Jackals, Hyenas & Foxes. So whenever they used to have an inkling that a big cat's around or if one indeed crossed their path, their options used to be; either lie low and wait for sometime, turn back to travel another day or wait for someone else to move ahead to know if it's safe for themselves. Rest we all know how old tales become superstitions!
Old 10th September 2012, 11:44   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry to disagree, but naked feet gives a better feel! I know a lot of driving schools instruct people to learn driving without footwear. This is helpful most of the times in modulating the accelerator pedal, especially the feather touch ones.
Hello Sir!. Its been a long time, eh?!

Well, again, sorry to disagree.

Its mandatory to drive with proper footwear. Reason is not about the feedback it gives, but sweating of feet. Its very risky when the feet sweat and slips off the pedals.

IMO, its actually a bad practice to teach people to drive without any footwear, as gradually this becomes a habit.
Old 10th September 2012, 11:46   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@manolin; When I was a student the Hostel Manager had a black cat. So it was pretty common to see it cross the road. On the day I was going for my PhD thesis defence the cat crossed the oad in front of me. Did off-put me a bit, but no damage resulted.

On a lighter note - if a cat crosses the road in front of a speeding car.... Bad Luck more likely for the poor cat !
Old 10th September 2012, 11:56   #179
Senior - BHPian

Does blocking roads for offering prayers and using roads as community ground fall in to this catagory ?
Old 10th September 2012, 12:06   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post

On a lighter note - if a cat crosses the road in front of a speeding car.... Bad Luck more likely for the poor cat !
Well there is another superstition that the cat has nine lives, ain't it?

Thrice I've seen cats enter between the left front and rear tyre of a moving car and come out between the two rear tyres without a scratch!! My heart was in my mouth but the cats ran off as if it was part of their daily routine

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks