Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 12:34   #181
BHPian

Re: Dangerous Superstitions on Indian Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hello Sir!. Its been a long time, eh?!

Well, again, sorry to disagree.

Its mandatory to drive with proper footwear. Reason is not about the feedback it gives, but sweating of feet. Its very risky when the feet sweat and slips off the pedals.

IMO, its actually a bad practice to teach people to drive without any footwear, as gradually this becomes a habit.
Sorry to follow this point again. But, do you mean it is mandatory by law or mandatory as a best practice? I have always felt comfortable driving without footwear because of the direct feedback it gives and the ability to control the pedals to finest degree possible.

For the problem of feet sweating, can't we use the AC to get rid of it? Also what if the footwear doesn't have enough grip to prevent it from slipping off the pedals?

The clutch and accelarator pedal of my car (Chevy Beat) is super light. When I try to drive it with my sports shoes on, I can't sense even a bit of how much the pedals are depressed.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:14   #182
BHPian

In Bangalore, if a house has some function, they block off the whole road with a shamiayana.... Does that fall in this category?
Old 10th September 2012, 14:33   #183
Senior - BHPian

Adding to the list, my uncle has this superstition to run over chickens in any vehicles he has purchased. If he doesn't find them on the road, he pays for the chicken and then run his vehicle over it.
I still can't seem to find the logic in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
In Bangalore, if a house has some function, they block off the whole road with a shamiayana.... Does that fall in this category?
That's not superstition. That is just some stupid, idiot and careless imbeciles thinking they own the road and can do anything they want with it.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:43   #184
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Never heard such nonsense - with respect, can this possibly be happening in 2012?

Has no one heard of cruelty to animals and birds?

At least if he buys a dead, dressed broiler chicken and runs over it, then that might be ok, even at the risk of wasting perfectly good food in a poor starving country, but imagine running over a live chicken! Poor creature.

This really is rubbish. How would the driver of the car feel if I caught him, paid a few bucks, then trussed him up on account of a stupid superstition and then ran over him, crippling him for life and leaving him possibly to die in pain!

Ridiculous!!

Please try to educate this avuncular relation of yours!

Sorry to be blunt to you, but I really believe that your own comment about idiot and careless imbeciles beautifully sums up your own avuncular relative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Adding to the list, my uncle has this superstition to run over chickens in any vehicles he has purchased. If he doesn't find them on the road, he pays for the chicken and then run his vehicle over it.
I still can't seem to find the logic in it.

That's not superstition. That is just some stupid, idiot and careless imbeciles thinking they own the road and can do anything they want with it.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th September 2012 at 14:46.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 15:31   #185
Senior - BHPian

It's called superstition for a reason.
No amount of educating or reasoning will help to make them understand what they are doing is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Never heard such nonsense - with respect, can this possibly be happening in 2012?

Has no one heard of cruelty to animals and birds?

At least if he buys a dead, dressed broiler chicken and runs over it, then that might be ok, even at the risk of wasting perfectly good food in a poor starving country, but imagine running over a live chicken! Poor creature.

This really is rubbish. How would the driver of the car feel if I caught him, paid a few bucks, then trussed him up on account of a stupid superstition and then ran over him, crippling him for life and leaving him possibly to die in pain!

Ridiculous!!

Please try to educate this avuncular relation of yours!

Sorry to be blunt to you, but I really believe that your own comment about idiot and careless imbeciles beautifully sums up your own avuncular relative!
Old 10th September 2012, 19:38   #186
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester
It's called superstition for a reason.
No amount of educating or reasoning will help to make them understand what they are doing is wrong.
Really very sad isnt it?
Feel sorry for the several chickens squashed to satisfy some blighted unreasoning mindset!
Old 10th September 2012, 20:06   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't know about superstition but a old driver of ours had this firm belief that headlights sapped the battery even when the engine was running. He would hardly ever use headlights till it was near pitch dark! After a while, we stopped trying to convince him and planned it so that we returned home before dark.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:27   #188
BHPian

Re: Superstitions thread - Including Driving Superstitions

I always move the car forward when i start the car every time. If the car has to be reversed in the parking lot also, i slightly move forward for few inches unless and until there is seriously no space to move forward. We never take a long drive without pooja being performed for the car with coconut offered with lemons for each tyre and flower garland for the car.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:31   #189
BHPian

Time to show him the thread that says that we need to own cars for a very very long time, to make the most of it - that way at least he will end up killing fewer of them :(

Just can't digest it though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Really very sad isnt it?
Feel sorry for the several chickens squashed to satisfy some blighted unreasoning mindset!
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:56   #190
BHPian

Hi everybody
RKI2007
I too would drive the car forward for a few inches before reversing.
Saw my mechanic doing that and since then got into that habit.
Years back read in the Readers Digest about a skeptical young man who didnt believe it but still wanted to please his mother.So he bought an egg ran the car over it.
Regards
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:58   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Don't know about superstition but a old driver of ours had this firm belief that headlights sapped the battery even when the engine was running. He would hardly ever use headlights till it was near pitch dark! After a while, we stopped trying to convince him and planned it so that we returned home before dark.
On cars and especially bikes running addition lights or higher wattage bulbs, the battery may drain out faster than the charging system is able to support.
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:15   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
On the highways of Tamilnadu, the long distance lorry drivers knocks down a dog to avoid further accidents on the highways.
Superstition or not, i don't know, but if the truck tries to avoid the dog, an accident is almost unavoidable.
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:40   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesraju View Post
Sorry to follow this point again. But, do you mean it is mandatory by law or mandatory as a best practice? I have always felt comfortable driving without footwear because of the direct feedback it gives and the ability to control the pedals to finest degree possible.

For the problem of feet sweating, can't we use the AC to get rid of it? Also what if the footwear doesn't have enough grip to prevent it from slipping off the pedals?

The clutch and accelarator pedal of my car (Chevy Beat) is super light. When I try to drive it with my sports shoes on, I can't sense even a bit of how much the pedals are depressed.
Yes, I too was taught driving without footwear and it is really difficult to let go of the habit. The feedback of the clutch with bare foot becomes all the more critical input in bumper to bumper traffic, crawling....
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:53   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I always move the car forward when i start the car every time. If the car has to be reversed in the parking lot also, i slightly move forward for few inches unless and until there is seriously no space to move forward.
I do have the same practice. My parking slot is a tight-fit for my Alto and our two 2-wheelers. Even then, I slot the first gear and utilize the 1-2 inches in front of my car and then start reversing. Some days I would park the car very close to the wall. In those days too, I just slot the car in first gear and then start reversing.
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:22   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesraju View Post

You remind me of my school days of playing football. I had this problem of wearing studded boots initially, as we had been taught playing football barefooted. The first time I played football with boots, I was dissatisfied as I was not "feeling" the ball.

Agreed, with driving similar thing may happen. A change of footwear changes the feel of the clutch and the brake, true. But that's only for a few kilometers, after which there is no reason why you wouldn't feel fine!

Last edited by subratasenn : 23rd September 2012 at 23:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks