Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2008, 20:53   #61
A.R
BHPian

More...

>Angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or there are dog pictures
>Dreams during early mornings will become true
>Monday is not an auspicious day for shaving, Tuesday is not good for washing one's hair & Saturday isn't good for buying oil
>One should not have food in dark (or when power goes off), it's said that ghosts will eat your food (i think its rather insects may fall in ur plate)
>If a person hiccups it is believed that someone is talking about him or remembering him
Old 19th February 2008, 08:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
When a black cat cross your path, it is not good.
Yeah! bad things happen!
When a cow crosses your path on the street, good things will happen.
But i heard there are no cows on the streets of down town New York. So nothing good happens there.
Can anybody confirm?

raj

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 19th February 2008 at 08:18.
Old 18th June 2008, 22:54   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
when a cat crosses your path from left to right, its ok to proceed. But if it crosses from right to left, you are supposed to go three steps backwards and then proceed.
leave that cat alone ! will ya ?

gimme a break !
I and a friend of mine were driving down home this evening and there was a bike guy who we were following. A cat was about to cross the road (from right to left) and this guy who was infront of us was trying to avoid the cat and in the process ended up bumping into somebody who was standing on the other side of the road, Nothing serious and the guy was later explaining to the pedestrian as to why the mishap happended. It was quiet funny ad we couldn't just control our laughter.
Old 19th June 2008, 10:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
1) People say 'God Bless You' everytime you sneeze. For some reason I am totally annoyed by this.
Even I hated when my German colleagues used to say that on every sneeze. And to think that I had a strange allergy in which I used to sneeze 8-9 times at one go. It was too funny and irritating!

However, thats not a superstition but more of an urban legend. It is said that when you sneeze, your heart comes up to your throat/mouth momentarily. Thats why they say Bless You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
3) And what's with all this touch wood thing?
I think thats said as a wish that something that one just said stays the way it is. e.g. your hair is so beautiful *touchwood*
Old 18th September 2008, 16:43   #65
BHPian

Superstitions while driving

Dont know if such a thread/topic exists.

Like most things, one could have superstitions while driving. I have a strange one for example.

When I am playing the music system while driving, I do not keep volume at 17. Its 16 and if I want it a bit louder, it has to be 18 and beyond, but not 17. I somehow feel I might crash the car if the volume is at 17 .

I do not even want to risk trying out 17 some day and drive to work and back. I just cannot. Its like an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Would like to know if others have similar superstitions while in the car.
Old 18th September 2008, 16:52   #66
Senior - BHPian

yes - i also do this all the time - be it at home or when i am driving the car. i keep the volume at even numbers.

my dad always gets the registration number of his cars ending with 2.
Old 18th September 2008, 17:14   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
Anyone heard of these superstitious guidelines (office related) which I dutifully follow:

1) When you set an alarm for 6 AM and your not out of bed till 8:30 AM, it's not a good day to go to work.
2) When you step out of your home and you look up to see a teeny tiny speck of cloud, why take a risk? You might get caught in a rainstorm, stay at home.
3) If your breakfast turns out to be surprisingly sumptous and you over-eat, stay at home, you'll anyway lose productive time at work running to the loo.
4) When you start your car and the first song you listen to on the radio/CD/iPod is 'Smoke on the Water' or 'Highway to Hell', get out immediately and get back to bed as fast as possible. No one wants to start the day on a wrong note, right.
And lastly, when there you know your manager is eagerly waiting to fire you for what you did the previous day, well, legend has it that your well advised to stay put at home. Afterall, you have to live another day.

Not fair - I thought these were EXCLUSIVE superstitions that I had invented!
Old 18th September 2008, 17:30   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Dont know if such a thread/topic exists.

Like most things, one could have superstitions while driving. I have a strange one for example.

When I am playing the music system while driving, I do not keep volume at 17. Its 16 and if I want it a bit louder, it has to be 18 and beyond, but not 17. I somehow feel I might crash the car if the volume is at 17 .

I do not even want to risk trying out 17 some day and drive to work and back. I just cannot. Its like an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Would like to know if others have similar superstitions while in the car.
If it helps I always have my volume in multiples of 3!! has to be 12/15/18 and so on...Dont know why!
too!!
Old 18th September 2008, 17:32   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Might break your heart in that case to learn that the majority of speakers that are accomodated in our cars, and hence sold, are 17 cms in size. Might want to check yours.
Old 19th September 2008, 00:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Dont step on a lemon which is on the road.Bad things will start happenin to ya.

I dont know why but i have heard so many people say this.
Traditionally in black magic a lemon is used to remove the evil eye. It is usually when there is a curse on a person. So basically the "curse" is trapped in the lemon and when you step on it it transfers to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

Another one - dont walk under a ladder.

Why? Absolutely no idea - just because John said to me, to whom Jack told...
This is because in the older days people usually did somekind of work on a ladder and had their tools up there with them, many times a tool could fall on you and hurt you. So to prevent people from getting hurt this superstition was floated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

another one - related to travel:

Do not travel between early hours of the morning, between 3~4; spirits of people who have died on the road roam about at these times (when did they change their shift timing from 12midnight???).
No harm in traveling, usually 3 am is considered the dead hour, or the devil;s hour, where spirit activity is considered at its max. Ideally 12 am to 4 am is considered a chunk of time where spirit activity is max, but 3 am is where it peaks. This is believed in the west also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Never Sit under Peepal's tree after the sun Set !!
The Best Emoticon for this --->

Dont know why?? But Have heard !!
This is because the peepal tree is sort of a magnet for spirits, and the mango tree is sacred.
Old 19th September 2008, 00:12   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
More...

>Dreams during early mornings will become true
I've heard this time and again from a lot of people. The only thing i tell everyone is, "if this was true, probably every beggar would have a lavish 3BHK on the edge of the road, or under the flyovers, and every watchman would be the owner of the building he guards."

My Grandpa tells me: Everyone has his own beliefs, and its not right to ridicule them. But, one should never depend on these beliefs as they will directly or indirectly harm your daily activities.
Old 19th September 2008, 13:24   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
While going out of the house (to work, party etc), if you happen to slip, you should return back, sit down, drink some water & then proceed. Well...
When you fall down you get a little tensed or something like that and are bound to make some mistake so its better to go back inside sit down, drink water, relax a bit and then proceed with the journey.
Old 19th November 2008, 11:23   #73
BHPian

Driving superstitions!!

Most of us are superstitous about something or the other.

Take me for example, For the first time, i usually slot the 1st gear and take the car forward (few inches) even if it needs to be reversed.

Another one is to honk while crossing temple and other religious buildings / places.

Don't know why i do it but it's become a habbit now. i have seen my uncle doing this since childhood.

what do you do?

Mods. request - please move the thread to appropriate section if this is not the right one.

Last edited by kapilsharma80 : 19th November 2008 at 11:25.
Old 19th November 2008, 11:25   #74
Team-BHP Support

theres already a thread on this.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:01   #75
Senior - BHPian

Ditto for me. That's why whenever or where ever I park I always do it in reverse, so that I can drive forward..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Take me for example, For the first time, i usually slot the 1st gear and take the car forward (few inches) even if it needs to be reversed.

Most Viewed