Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 12:11   #76
Senior - BHPian

this is weird.no driving superstitions here.
Only thing I know is that people bow down when crossing some roadside shrine's/church's ,mandir's etc.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Lot of drivers stop their vehicles when a cat crosses their path. They wait for some other vehicle to cross the line and then they drive. When I was a journalist coming home late night in the office car, this superstition used to mean a lot of wasted time - because you don't get too many vehicles in the middle of the night to cross the line for you.
When we were young, this superstition used to be only with black cats. Now any and every cat stalls traffic.
Personally I have zero superstition with or without cars. I have had a few million cats cross my path.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 19th November 2008 at 12:20.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:21   #78
Senior - BHPian

yeah.that remembers me about vehicles which hit a pig or dog is not worth later.the superstition is ,that such vehicles will be having chances for accidents.
I think ,there is no pigs on the roads anymore though.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Even I hated when my German colleagues used to say that on every sneeze. And to think that I had a strange allergy in which I used to sneeze 8-9 times at one go. It was too funny and irritating!

However, thats not a superstition but more of an urban legend. It is said that when you sneeze, your heart comes up to your throat/mouth momentarily. Thats why they say Bless You

I think thats said as a wish that something that one just said stays the way it is. e.g. your hair is so beautiful *touchwood*
Christians believe that when you sneeze God comes out of your body for a moment and the Devil might enter your body in that small window of opportunity. That's why they say "God bless you" before the Devil can enter.
My mother never knew this and God and Devil have been playing hide and seek in my body ever since my first sneeze.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
yeah.that remembers me about vehicles which hit a pig or dog is not worth later.the superstition is ,that such vehicles will be having chances for accidents.
I think ,there is no pigs on the roads anymore though.
Actually the lorry drivers from Tamil Nadu who go on those longer cross country trips prefer to hit a Dog as early as possible, the superstition is that you would not meet with an accident again on that trip, the reason why you see so many road kills of dogs in the TN highways
Old 19th November 2008, 17:31   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Actually the lorry drivers from Tamil Nadu who go on those longer cross country trips prefer to hit a Dog as early as possible, the superstition is that you would not meet with an accident again on that trip, the reason why you see so many road kills of dogs in the TN highways
What the heck !!! This is so damn cruel. Maneka Gandhi, where art thou ?
Old 19th November 2008, 17:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Christians believe that when you sneeze God comes out of your body for a moment and the Devil might enter your body in that small window of opportunity. That's why they say "God bless you" before the Devil can enter.
My mother never knew this and God and Devil have been playing hide and seek in my body ever since my first sneeze.
I will disagree to the above. The logic is when you sneeze your heart beat stops and when it stops for a second you meet god in heaven and thats why it is said 'God Bless you' .
Old 19th November 2008, 18:43   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The logic is when you sneeze your heart beat stops and when it stops for a second.
Thats a myth too The heart doesnt stop beating when we sneeze
Old 19th November 2008, 19:03   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I will disagree to the above. The logic is when you sneeze your heart beat stops and when it stops for a second you meet god in heaven and thats why it is said 'God Bless you' .
Well, i'll disagree with both of you on this one

The most reasonable explanation i have heard is that :

People used to say "god bless you" when they heard someone sneeze during the times when the plague was taking a lot of lives, and a sneeze could have been considered a possible symptom that you had the plague!
In other words "god bless you" = "i hope you dont have the plague!!"

cya
R
Old 19th November 2008, 19:45   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Most of us are superstitous about something or the other.

Take me for example, For the first time, i usually slot the 1st gear and take the car forward (few inches) even if it needs to be reversed.
I do that too. Everymorning, when i first drive. I've heard 2 reasons for this -A) Always move forward before moving back in life and B) Because of the gearing its less stressful on the gearbox to move a bit in 1st and then be put into reverse.

I've never been able to prove either!!! But i still do it...
Old 20th November 2008, 21:01   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Only thing I know is that people bow down when crossing some roadside shrine's/church's ,mandir's etc.
Ain't no superstition, it is merely that persons way of offering respect & bowing down to the Gods.
Old 20th November 2008, 21:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Well, i'll disagree with both of you on this one

The most reasonable explanation i have heard is that :

People used to say "god bless you" when they heard someone sneeze during the times when the plague was taking a lot of lives, and a sneeze could have been considered a possible symptom that you had the plague!
In other words "god bless you" = "i hope you dont have the plague!!"

cya
R
You got that right.
Sneezing was one of the first symptoms of the plague and in those days if you got it you died - hence people would say "God bless you"
In fact the nursery rhyme "Ringa ring-a roses.... husha bushhaa - we all fall down" is from the plague period apparently and supposedly refers to the fact that when you sneeze ("Husha busha") there's a chance that you fell down dead as you could have the plague.
Old 20th November 2008, 21:26   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
You got that right.
Sneezing was one of the first symptoms of the plague and in those days if you got it you died - hence people would say "God bless you"
In fact the nursery rhyme "Ringa ring-a roses.... husha bushhaa - we all fall down" is from the plague period apparently and supposedly refers to the fact that when you sneeze ("Husha busha") there's a chance that you fell down dead as you could have the plague.

What I have read about this is
Ringa Ringa roses -> the rings like boils that would appear on a victim
pocket full of posies -> flowers to offer some respite from the stench all around.

husha busha -> you are sneezing
all fall down -> die
Old 21st November 2008, 12:35   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What I have read about this is
Ringa Ringa roses -> the rings like boils that would appear on a victim
pocket full of posies -> flowers to offer some respite from the stench all around.

husha busha -> you are sneezing
all fall down -> die
A bit graphic for a nursery ryhme and come to think I used to recite that when I was a child.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:41   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
A bit graphic for a nursery ryhme and come to think I used to recite that when I was a child.
Then be thankful I did not go ahead in describing the story behind
ding dong bell.

Most Viewed