Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 22:54   #136
BHPian

Dangerous Superstitions on Indian Roads

Science has always been unraveling the knots of religious or ritualistic or superstitious beliefs over the centuries starting from the ages Galileo, Darwin,... and recently till unraveling the knot of god particles. In the fear of losing to science religions has tried to project science also as part among them. Science will continue to do its job and our future generation will finally see the facts of things that are still being considered as mysterious/superstitious. Coming to the posts original intention. Please share here the superstitious beliefs over vehicles/transportation that has disturbed you most and are dangerous which you see on the road like the below.

Attached Thumbnails
The Superstitions thread - Including driving superstitions-ashgourd.jpg  

The Superstitions thread - Including driving superstitions-bus.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th September 2012 at 09:05.
SANSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 23:08   #137
BHPian

re: Dangerous Superstitions on Indian Roads

I cant say if its a superstition or a cutural thing, but i have seen lots of bus , tempo, taxi and auto drivers in Chennai driving their vehicles without slippers or shoes.

I deem it as dangerous as i once tried it myself to try to figure it out how/what they feel (to step in their shoes )and i could not get any feedback from brake or gas pedal. I was either pushing it too hard or not hard enough for an effective operation.
Moreover, if feet are wet, they keep slipping off pedals.

I believe there is a law against driving without footwear. Guess not enforced at all.

just saying, other might not share the same sentiments.
DexterMorgan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 23:20   #138
BHPian

A lot of motorbikes/two-wheelers at Kanpur had their rear-view mirrors bent in a weird manner (it appeared like a "namaste" hand-gesture) which rendered them totally useless. I don't know if there was a superstition behind it but it definitely was dangerous.

(Then again (in Bangalore), with rear view mirrors in the acceptable position, nine out of every ten two wheelers barely use them)
Old 7th September 2012, 23:25   #139
Senior - BHPian

Me Me Me....I got one to share.

I have a pious friend who has a habit of closing his eyes and touching his forehead as a mark of respect for deities whenever he passes a temple. Too bad that he does this even when he is driving his bike. Much to the chagrin of the pillion rider.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 23:46   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
I cant say if its a superstition or a cutural thing, but i have seen lots of bus , tempo, taxi and auto drivers in Chennai driving their vehicles without slippers or shoes.

I deem it as dangerous as i once tried it myself to try to figure it out how/what they feel (to step in their shoes )and i could not get any feedback from brake or gas pedal. I was either pushing it too hard or not hard enough for an effective operation.
Not sure about a law about not wearing footwear, but I believe being barefoot gives the driver the best feedback possible.

This does not mean I'm a supporter of driving barefoot, but in some cases it might actually help the particular driver improve on his/her skills.
Old 8th September 2012, 00:08   #141
Team-BHP Support

I think its all fine - little things like these fascinate foreigners who come to experience our country. The decorated bus shows the attachment that driver of the bus has to his beloved vehicle. And I haven't heard of any two wheeler going over that watermelon (or is that a pumpkin?) and falling off the bike either.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 01:02   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Are the "masks" hanging on the trucks also eligible to be added here? Guess they feel this will ward off the evils & accidents? And the nimboo-mirchi [lemon & chilly] too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
..and i could not get any feedback from brake or gas pedal. I was either pushing it too hard or not hard enough for an effective operation.....
Sorry to disagree, but naked feet gives a better feel! I know a lot of driving schools instruct people to learn driving without footwear. This is helpful most of the times in modulating the accelerator pedal, especially the feather touch ones. I used to drive our 800 with bare foot, and remember providing a lot more input with footwear than actually required. But once I started with the Wagon R & Swift, I found it too difficult to reach the pedals properly without the footwear.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th September 2012 at 01:04.
Old 8th September 2012, 01:23   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post

I have a pious friend who has a habit of closing his eyes and touching his forehead as a mark of respect for deities whenever he passes a temple. Too bad that he does this even when he is driving his bike. Much to the chagrin of the pillion rider.
Completely, one of the most hypocritic custom I have witnessed in several partsof the country incl throwing coins in the river while crossing narrow bridges sometimes hit the oncoming vehicles, or takes the attention off the narrow bridge. If you really want pay your respect, stop for a couple of seconds and offer a decent prayer as your schedule allows and then move on - wont GOD be more pleased with that.
Old 8th September 2012, 01:35   #144
Senior - BHPian

Not dangerous (or is it?) but I have to ask: I've seen many, many drivers grow just one very long nail (typically on their little finger). Why? Is this a superstition?
Old 8th September 2012, 01:41   #145
Senior - BHPian

Its still better than few 'devotees' who stop their 4-wheelers on busy roads during peak traffic and drive after 5-10 seconds. I've seen many of them all over India with Bangalore topping the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I have a pious friend who has a habit of closing his eyes and touching his forehead as a mark of respect for deities whenever he passes a temple.
Like Nimboo-Mirchi, an old shoe is pretty common with truckers especially from North.
One dangerous superstition I often see is throwing coins at Mazaars/temples by the taxi drivers (especially Mahindra Jeep) who swerve dangerously close to one side of the road to get a close range.
One more:
I read on some thread on T-BHP that the truck drivers in South paint the eyes on their trucks so that with their very own set of eyes the trucks can avoid mishaps as they would be able to judge the situation better with their own eyes rather than depending on the driver.

Last edited by carwatcher : 8th September 2012 at 02:04.
Old 8th September 2012, 01:44   #146
Senior - BHPian

Its a common belief among the drivers/chauffeurs that a new car should have some sort of blemish on it. The belief is so strong among some that they actually go out and get the new car scratched somewhere innocuously.
Old 8th September 2012, 04:02   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
watermelon (or is that a pumpkin?) .
You talking about watermelons?? We even have people dumping coconut on the road. And the worst part is, they would like to offer these right on the center of the road and that too on a cross roads. We have to dodge them if you want to save yourselves from running over it.

I always wonder how they manage to do all the poojas and leave it on the middle of the road without someone noticing it!!

R-Six
Old 8th September 2012, 07:07   #148
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a lot people (In front of Temples) break pumpkins, coconut on the road. Run over a lemon and just leave it on the road. Put some kinda burning lamp on the road etc.

This poses a very big hazard for fellow road users especially two wheelers.

Oh c'mon have some respect for people out on the road too!

Quote:
The pumpkin menace had taken the lives of 15 two-wheeler riders on the Kathipara-Tambaram stretch of the GST Road last year alone, activists said, adding that a number of others, mostly pedestrians sustained injuries.
Full Article here... A old one tho'. But nothing has changed at all till date :(

http://www.hindu.com/2003/01/03/stor...0303670300.htm

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 8th September 2012 at 07:08.
Old 8th September 2012, 07:42   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live

I have good friend too who prays while starting the car in gear..i mean after engaging the gear he closes his eyes for a couple of seconds. Scary stuff espescially in parkings.
Old 8th September 2012, 08:10   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshaguduru

I have good friend too who prays while starting the car in gear..i mean after engaging the gear he closes his eyes for a couple of seconds. Scary stuff espescially in parkings.
I don't see anything scary in that, unless the vehicle is doing good speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks