Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2008, 17:11   #1
BHPian

Are ICEs dangerous?

Im a two wheel driver. I generally hear music on my ipod through IEMs (EP-630s) when driving. The other day, my mom asked me not to put on those earphones while driving as they would impair the ability to hear vehicles. Personally, I don't put the volume too high..just enough to block the general road noises but loud enough to block horn sounds.

This got me thinking. Untill that moment, i did not think much about it. Do those loud ICE systems make a huge hearing handicap while driving? Obiviously the IEMs theoretically are more sound blocking than the genral car cabin, Im guessing that the difference might be small. So, are ICEs dangerous?
Old 3rd February 2008, 17:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
chvvkumar : Personally, I don't put the volume too high..just enough to block the general road noises but loud enough to block horn sounds.
The volume is immaterial. You are (& every one is ) far more distracted than you think you are.

The noise factor is something we have to live with. It's the characteristic of the driving/commute environment, and of which we are a part when we are on the road.

By trying to remove the noise, you will be disconnected from what's happening around you - and you may not be able to react to a dangerous situation that you would have been alerted of by the sounds.

Imagine a situation where some one was blaring his horn trying to warn you of something. Both of you being in different vehicles, his horn may be the best / only means of warning of you. If you cannot hear him, and you dont check / react to what he's tyring to tell you - what would happen ? (Ref my first point).

As a two wheeler rider, you need to take more precautions than the driver of a car.

Using an ipod is not the same as listening to your car audio system. Just because the car driver can listen to his ICE system, doesnt mean you have the option to listen to your ipod.

Your mom's right. Ride safe.
Old 3rd February 2008, 18:15   #3
BHPian

As i said above, i don't put the volume loud enough to prevent me from hearing the horns of other vehicles.
Old 3rd February 2008, 20:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Also listing to loud music even on headphone is a very bad thing for ears. So try reducing the volume.
Old 3rd February 2008, 20:51   #5
BHPian

just keep the volume level to ur comfort level and it will neither distract you from road nor it will make you deaf.
Old 3rd February 2008, 20:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Do you have to ask?

You might also install a TV for those slack moments when an express bus is not coming at you head on.
Old 3rd February 2008, 20:57   #7
BANNED

Are those SPL or SQ headphones? What is their RMS? Have you measured the db?

riding a two wheeler listening to music from headphones is quite dangerous.
You may get distracted or lost in music.

i turn my system off at times while driving.

My advice would be to refrain from it.
Old 3rd February 2008, 21:46   #8
BHPian

Refrain from this practice immediately. It is very, very dangerous!
Old 3rd February 2008, 22:43   #9
BHPian

I guess i agree with you guys. After thinking it over, I tend to agree with saintsinner about the music being distractive (i think im being too careless as i usually listen to podcasts not music).

Also, there are many ppl i see driving around wearing those nokia/SE earphones listening (most probably) to the radio (not that i support it).
Old 3rd February 2008, 22:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

DO NOT WEAR IEM'S WHILE DRIVING.

they cancel out ambient sound , and impair balance to some extent. Even wearing regular headphones/earphones is a strict no-no. noise reducing ones are deadly. Even the sony walkman earbuds are...

and its illegal, i might add

Last edited by greenhorn : 3rd February 2008 at 22:48.
Old 4th February 2008, 00:11   #11
JPL
BHPian

I used to listen to hallowed be thy name COF Version on my Ipod 1.5 hours on the way to office and back (back sometimes more due to traffic jams) on full volume on ipod the same song on repeat. It did do some temporary damage to my hearing but obviously not advisible hehe

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks