Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 21:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I messed up. It is very possible for Indian professionals to get a ten year visa. And, you were right to point it out my error. Well, if it isn't Ben Kingsley all over your currency who is it? It ain't Aish Rai. You are not centered. See my signature for major advice on the matter.
I know that sir. I have already seen it many times and hence just replied to your question in the simplest possible manner.

And getting a USA visa is even simpler if one works for a company which is a member of the BEP (Business Executive Program) of the American consulate. Its a cake walk then. However, as usual there are exceptions to the rule!!
Old 5th February 2008, 22:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See my signature for major advice on the matter.
to me, it looks like an american interpretation of english translation of a hindi text done by a chinese.
Old 5th February 2008, 22:46   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Although a B1/B2 visa to USA is valid for 10 years, the maximum stay allowed per trip is only 90 days.
Amtak, I have a valid B1/B2 US Visa for 10 years and the maximum stay allowed per trip is 180 days.
Old 5th February 2008, 23:05   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I understand from my US friends that the maximum length of stay in India on a tourist visa is also 180 days.

Whilst leaving for a few days in Nepal or Sri Lanka is a lot simpler than flying back to USA for a new visa, it is still necessary to leave this country ever six months. Nothing like permanent residency.

In India, OCI is the closest to permanent residency, as it is lifelong, but the concept of PR for foreigners does not exist as it does in UK or USA.

It is true that, given enough time spent in specific circumstances, a foreigner can apply for Indian Citizenship and that a returning Indian can apply to have their citizenship restored. However, many returning Indians chose the OCI route, as they would much rather not have to queue up and suffer the uncertainty of visas for them to travel outside India in the future.
Old 5th February 2008, 23:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, why do you Indian folk have pictures of Ben Kingsley on your currency?
Because he was born Krishna Bhanji. We put anyone on our notes, didn't you know?
Old 6th February 2008, 01:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Amtak, I have a valid B1/B2 US Visa for 10 years and the maximum stay allowed per trip is 180 days.
I would still not advise it. Its too risky to spend more than 90 days. All my previous organizations suggested not to stay beyond 90 days as the ones who extended the stay were questioned next time when they went to USA.

Reason is simple, what meetings one can hold for 180 days??
Old 6th February 2008, 01:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I understand from my US friends that the maximum length of stay in India on a tourist visa is also 180 days.

Whilst leaving for a few days in Nepal or Sri Lanka is a lot simpler than flying back to USA for a new visa, it is still necessary to leave this country ever six months. Nothing like permanent residency.

In India, OCI is the closest to permanent residency, as it is lifelong, but the concept of PR for foreigners does not exist as it does in UK or USA.

It is true that, given enough time spent in specific circumstances, a foreigner can apply for Indian Citizenship and that a returning Indian can apply to have their citizenship restored. However, many returning Indians chose the OCI route, as they would much rather not have to queue up and suffer the uncertainty of visas for them to travel outside India in the future.
True. The Stay on an Indian tourist visa is 180 days!
Old 6th February 2008, 01:06   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak
Reason is simple, what meetings one can hold for 180 days??
Errr. Haven't the Tata/Ford negotiations being going on that long?

Certainly seems like it

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th February 2008 at 01:07.
Old 6th February 2008, 01:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Please see the stamp which mentions about the stay
Old 6th February 2008, 01:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Errr. Haven't the Tata/Ford negotiations being going on that long?

Certainly seems like it
Aren't they going on in UK?? Plus, I am sure they don't meet daily. Just fly down!
Old 6th February 2008, 02:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post

Please see the stamp which mentions about the stay
meaning after 180 days, registration is required. not necessarily trip back home?

about B1/B2, they should not have a problem if I-94 was issued for more than 90 days. you run into issues if you try to get I-94 extended when in US. Besides, It's not only for meetings. I was issued a B1 for requirements gathering for a new project once.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 6th February 2008 at 02:02.
Old 6th February 2008, 08:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
meaning after 180 days, registration is required. not necessarily trip back home?

about B1/B2, they should not have a problem if I-94 was issued for more than 90 days. you run into issues if you try to get I-94 extended when in US. Besides, It's not only for meetings. I was issued a B1 for requirements gathering for a new project once.
B1 visa is purely for meetings (business). However, people often misuse it for other purposes. And yes, registration is required if the stay is supposed to be more than 180 days. For this, one just needs to approach the FRRO authority in their vicinity with all the relevant documents and they'll do the needful.

Last edited by amtak : 6th February 2008 at 08:50.
Old 6th February 2008, 11:56   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a business visa, and the stamp does mean that the holder can stay up to 180 days without having to register.

A Tourist visa always has a limited maximum period of stay, which may be 180 days or less.
Old 6th February 2008, 13:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

There are two kinds of visits in VISIT system for B1/B2 visa.

1. Business 2. Personal.

For personal/tourist visit maximum stay is 180 days. For business visits its 90 days.

At port of entry, whoever talks to you classifies a particular trip as one of these two and registers that in VISIT.
Old 6th October 2010, 20:22   #45
BANNED

Foreinger in india wants a car

Can a foreigner/dual citizen in india buy a car ?
Can anyone give a guidance to this...
what are the pros and cons ?????
what is the tax structure ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks