Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 13:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolajj View Post
Can a foreigner/dual citizen in india buy a car ?
Can anyone give a guidance to this...
what are the pros and cons ?????
what is the tax structure ?
Nickolajj,

Lets call them Expatriates (or Expats) rather than a foreigner. To answer your query, AFAIK, a foreigner if not of Indian Origin (as in PIO/OCI card holder) cannot buy any property in India on their own name. Hence, that's one of the reasons, they opt for rental cars or leased cars.

Secondly, Pro's and Con's of hiring a car on long term lease are:
  1. If the assignement is shorterned/over, just a month's notice to the rental company is enough, to cancel the car services as against selling the owned car.
  2. Servicing/repairs are car rental company head aches
  3. They also get a driver with the car.
However, there are exceptions to the rule. Anyone remember the UK diplomat who was given a Nano? She shipped it to UK
Old 14th October 2010, 07:14   #47
BANNED

[quote=amtak;2097513]Nickolajj,

would like to know if an OCI would get any tax benifits and if so how to do that .... ?
Old 14th October 2010, 09:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
By the way, why do you Indian folk have pictures of Ben Kingsley on your currency?
I don't believe this! Is he serious?
Old 14th October 2010, 10:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't believe this! Is he serious?
Please read the whole thread. DD is a darling out here.
Old 14th October 2010, 10:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
By the way, why do you Indian folk have pictures of Ben Kingsley on your currency?
Don't you have Martin Sheen on some of your coins?
Old 9th July 2012, 15:16   #51
BHPian

Re: Foreigners living in India - work permits? Driving Licenses?

Hello all,

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I required some information for a friend. He's a citizen of a European country, has no connection with India other than being placed here on an assignment of about 2 years. He is an avid motorcyclist, and would like information on how to obtain an Indian Driving Licence for the same. Valid driving licence from home country and rent agreement for accomodation in India exist in addition to Visa etc.

Would the best alternative be to just approach a local Driving School for the necessary procedures?

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 10th July 2012, 09:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Hello all,

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I required some information for a friend. He's a citizen of a European country, has no connection with India other than being placed here on an assignment of about 2 years. He is an avid motorcyclist, and would like information on how to obtain an Indian Driving Licence for the same. Valid driving licence from home country and rent agreement for accomodation in India exist in addition to Visa etc.

Would the best alternative be to just approach a local Driving School for the necessary procedures?

Cheers,
Rahul
He will need an International Driving license which he should have procured in his home country. Otherwise he can apply for a Indian driving license.

That is my understanding.

- Krishnan
Old 10th July 2012, 11:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post
He will need an International Driving license which he should have procured in his home country. Otherwise he can apply for a Indian driving license.

- Krishnan
That is correct; If he doesn't have a valid IDL, he'll need to get a local one made.

Quote:
Hello all,

Cheers,
Rahul
Best thing would be that he should consult his HR; they should be able to pull some strings through some concierge. He going to a local driving school is like allowing himself to be looted. Ask for HR/Admin to intervene and sort it out. But most importantly, does his contract permit him to drive in India?

PS: I get these kind of requests regularly.
Old 10th July 2012, 11:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
...would like information on how to obtain an Indian Driving Licence for the same...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post

- Krishnan
Sir, if you read carefully, I asked for information on how to get an Indian licence. Also, what you mention would be an International driving permit and not a licence itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
That is correct; If he doesn't have a valid IDL, he'll need to get a local one made.
...Ask for HR/Admin to intervene and sort it out. But most importantly, does his contract permit him to drive in India?
I guess you mean IDP. Going through the HR of the organisation would mean processes, delays, etc. Bureaucracy lurks in the private sector too

In case of the absence of that particular clause in his contract, is it implied that he is not allowed to drive? Is it normal to include this clause in a 2-3 year contract? I guess he'll have to clarify this with his employers back home. Still, I think the Driving School will be Plan A. Getting looted there is not a worry, he makes his displeasure quite vocal! In fact, it turns out that he's been getting better deals at local spare-parts shops than many locals themselves!! And obviously he won't go alone to the Driving School.

Thanks for both your inputs! Lets see how this goes.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 10th July 2012, 13:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, if you read carefully, I asked for information on how to get an Indian licence. Also, what you mention would be an International driving permit and not a licence itself.

I guess you mean IDP. Going through the HR of the organisation would mean processes, delays, etc. Bureaucracy lurks in the private sector too

In case of the absence of that particular clause in his contract, is it implied that he is not allowed to drive? Is it normal to include this clause in a 2-3 year contract? I guess he'll have to clarify this with his employers back home. Still, I think the Driving School will be Plan A. Getting looted there is not a worry, he makes his displeasure quite vocal! In fact, it turns out that he's been getting better deals at local spare-parts shops than many locals themselves!! And obviously he won't go alone to the Driving School.

Thanks for both your inputs! Lets see how this goes.

Cheers,
Rahul
I meant Indian Driving License (IDL). Many companies prefer to have this included in the contract for the simple reason, they are responsible for the expat while he is working for them; In case he hits someone one the road, the HR gets caught as they would have given thier undertaking/surety for him. Other reason being, in case of an accident, when an average indian gets looted by locals, why would the expat be an exception.

In other words, keep the real India out of their reach.
Old 10th July 2012, 14:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
...In other words, keep the real India out of their reach.
Hahaha! The stories that my expat friend heard about India before he came here!! I could start another whole thread on them! Things like "do not look a woman directly in the eye or you will be required to marry her"!!! And all this at official acclimatisation sessions conducted in their home country! However, he's become quite well-versed at our Indian customs now, including zipping through traffic on his Bullet
Old 10th July 2012, 14:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha! The stories that my expat friend heard about India before he came here!! I could start another whole thread on them! Things like "do not look a woman directly in the eye or you will be required to marry her"!!! And all this at official acclimatisation sessions conducted in their home country! However, he's become quite well-versed at our Indian customs now, including zipping through traffic on his Bullet
Happens. I see plenty of them driving around the town (especially the diplomats) honking away to glory Chalo chalo....! Oh Teri!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks