Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 14:48   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

So after the advice of fellow bhpians and a colleague who happens to be an ex-Fund Analyst, I decided to max out the PPF accounts in my name and my wife's name.

However, I didn't know it could get this tricky.

My wife has an account in Kotak bank only. All the Address proofs that she has (Passport & Voter ID card) have an old address where we don't live anymore. Now the bank is going to ask for her address proof when she goes to SBI to open a PPF account.

Address proof is also needed for change of address be it Voter ID or Passport, what's with this vicious circle, how do I get out of it?
Old 12th February 2015, 15:02   #617
Senior - BHPian

Well - you have to change all those anyway, sooner or later.

Start with your bank account, should be the easiest to change.

Ration card / gas connection / phone and broadband connection details you'd have updated anyway so those two show your current address I assume? You can use those to change your address at your bank.

After that change your PAN, voter ID, aadhaar and then passport addresses.

Last edited by hserus : 12th February 2015 at 15:04.
Old 12th February 2015, 15:22   #618
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I decided to max out the PPF accounts in my name and my wife's name.
My wife has an account in Kotak bank only. All the Address proofs that she has (Passport & Voter ID card) have an old address where we don't live anymore. Now the bank is going to ask for her address proof when she goes to SBI to open a PPF account.

Address proof is also needed for change of address be it Voter ID or Passport, what's with this vicious circle, how do I get out of it?
Many private sector banks let you change the address on the basis of a letter or even online if your account is over six (twelve) months old. Rental receipts, agreements all help. Otherwise the ultimate solution is an affidavit. Once one is done, others follow. It is the first one which is a problem.
Old 12th February 2015, 16:02   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Well - you have to change all those anyway, sooner or later.

Start with your bank account, should be the easiest to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Many private sector banks let you change the address on the basis of a letter or even online if your account is over six (twelve) months old. Rental receipts, agreements all help. Otherwise the ultimate solution is an affidavit. Once one is done, others follow. It is the first one which is a problem.
The issue is that all connections are in my name and the issue is anticipated if my wife tries to open the account. I think I'd have to talk to the bank first to see what they suggest in such cases, else an affidavit should definitely work in the bank, thanks!!
Old 12th February 2015, 16:05   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many private sector banks let you change the address on the basis of a letter or even online if your account is over six (twelve) months old.
They don't; RBI's KYC norms don't allow them to do that. They might take the application for address change online (Citibank does) but still require one to send the actual, self-attested proof by post or branch-drop.

Rental agreement is where I started when I moved to Bangalore. Used the agreement to change address at my bank, and then got a letter from the bank for all other purposes.

Quote:
My wife has an account in Kotak bank only. All the Address proofs that she has (Passport & Voter ID card) have an old address where we don't live anymore.
Also, for the wife address proof in the name of the husband and proof of marriage (spouse's name in either's passport will do) is good enough.
Old 12th February 2015, 20:07   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The issue is that all connections are in my name and the issue is anticipated if my wife tries to open the account. I think I'd have to talk to the bank first to see what they suggest in such cases, else an affidavit should definitely work in the bank, thanks!!
As binand says, proof of marriage attached along with your proofs is fine.

The definitive proof for this (most widely accepted, that is) is an endorsement in her passport, that lists you as her husband.
Old 12th February 2015, 20:34   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The definitive proof for this (most widely accepted, that is) is an endorsement in her passport, that lists you as her husband.
That's there as well, this really helped! Many thanks guys!!
Old 13th February 2015, 10:08   #623
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
1.They don't; RBI's KYC norms don't allow them to do that. They might take the application for address change online (Citibank does) but still require one to send the actual, self-attested proof by post or branch-drop.

2. Rental agreement is where I started when I moved to Bangalore. Used the agreement to change address at my bank, and then got a letter from the bank for all other purposes.

3. Also, for the wife address proof in the name of the husband and proof of marriage (spouse's name in either's passport will do) is good enough.
1. At least one major Private bank does. My son changed his just before applying for a passport. The address was changed in all statements, even for a year ago. No change permitted for a year after that. He had not bothered earlier. Maybe this is the reason that for Passport now only a Public Sector bank statement is valid.

2,3 Yes. However, there may be issues with ladies names. They sometimes prefer to use both maiden and married names for convenience.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th February 2015 at 10:09.
Old 16th February 2015, 10:25   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Defective return, you made some mistake when filing it, and they're asking you to fix it and upload a corrected version
So that means I can just fix and upload (and also pay outstanding tax + interest) and it is closed?

I think I have to meet the AO, right? The e-mail I received is asking me to get in touch with the AO, but it also mentions that it is section 154.
Old 16th February 2015, 15:48   #625
BHPian

I have a question about Assessing Officer for pending claims.

Some 5 years ago, my wife's employer entered APPLIEDFOR while paying tax instead of her PAN Card number which she already had. They did not rectify the challans even when they came to know they made a mistake.

The Income Tax department thinks that she did not pay income tax and have filed an outstanding demand. They have also held up her tax refunds over the years.

Some 2 years ago when the Income Tax department contacted her, she contacted her previous employer and got the challans rectified and also got a letter from her previous employer that they had made a mistake. This was duly submitted to the Income Tax department along with other evidence, but they haven't done anything about it for 2 years. I have the acknowledgement from the Income Tax department in Bellary Road who is her Jurisdictional AO.

We still keep getting harassed for this. A couple of weeks ago, she was once again reminded of her outstanding income tax and asked to reply within 15 days, but this time I could reply via their website disagreeing with the demand and stating the challan numbers for the tax that has been paid. On the website, it said earlier that upload was done by AO but rectification rights are with CPC. Today I see that it says rectification rights are with AO.

A couple of questions I have are:

1. What should I do to finally close this? Last time, we paid a tidy sum to an accountant and ended up with zero result.

2. My wife's PAN card gives her father's address and hence her Jurisdictional AO is in Bellary Road which is far away for me and going there will result in one whole day being wasted. If I change the address in the PAN Card to where we currently live, will it mean that the case will shift to Koramangala? Or do I still have to go to the old office?

3. Supposing I do trudge up to Bellary Road, is it a simple thing to meet an AO? Or do I need to take an appointment, or worse still go from pillar to post and spend a few days to correct a mistake that someone else has made?

Last edited by nowwhat? : 16th February 2015 at 15:55.
Old 16th February 2015, 15:51   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
So that means I can just fix and upload (and also pay outstanding tax + interest) and it is closed?

I think I have to meet the AO, right? The e-mail I received is asking me to get in touch with the AO, but it also mentions that it is section 154.
If it was a rectification demand raised by the jurisdictional AO you have to go before him with proofs and get it rectified. That proof could include paying any outstanding tax that you have not paid yet.

Read this document carefully. http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Tut...%20mistake.pdf

And if you have to go before an AO it is recommended that you review everything with your CA first.
Old 16th February 2015, 16:01   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
What should I do to finally close this? Last time, we paid a tidy sum to an accountant and ended up with zero result.
Why don't you take the RTI route ?

Make a RTI application application asking for the status of the case and reasons why they're asking for a demand again.

There is also an Income Tax Ombudsman Scheme that you could look at - I'm not familiar with the details though.
Old 16th February 2015, 16:18   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I have a question about Assessing Officer for pending claims.

This was duly submitted to the Income Tax department along with other evidence, but they haven't done anything about it for 2 years. I have the acknowledgement from the Income Tax department in Bellary Road who is her Jurisdictional AO.
You have to follow up regularly there. And in case the AO is not responding properly

1. Escalate to DCIT or ACIT (whoever is the next senior officer concerned). Yes you can walk up to their office and at least see their secretary & leave a letter if the officer is not there, quite often there will be a queue in front of each officers' cabin, 3..4 people say.

2. When you go into the income tax office, there is an ASK - aaykar seva kendra. File your grievance there again, in due form and get a computerized acknowledgement.

3. If you still get no proper response after a month or so, then open a grievance with the income tax department here, citing all previous history. http://office.incometaxindia.gov.in/...mechanism.aspx

And for future taxes always see form 26AS on a regular basis. So such basic mistakes as your company did for your wife can be avoided early before submission of return.

Last edited by hserus : 16th February 2015 at 16:43. Reason: link for income tax grievance process
Old 21st February 2015, 15:51   #629
Senior - BHPian

I am getting rid of my LIC Jeevan Plus 173 policy after keeping it for 9 years.

On the money that I will obtain (investment amount + profit), what is the tax treatment?

Is the entire amount taxable or just the profit or none of that is taxable?

Somehow I cannot find any information on this aspect of the policy.
Old 22nd February 2015, 08:42   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. At least one major Private bank does. My son changed his just before applying for a passport. The address was changed in all statements, even for a year ago. No change permitted for a year after that. He had not bothered earlier. Maybe this is the reason that for Passport now only a Public Sector bank statement is valid.
Possible, as at least one major private bank (Citibank) doesn't. I moved apartments recently (October 2014) and used their netbanking interface to change address; they followed up with a physical letter that the request is received and for it to be acted upon I need to deliver proof at any of their branches or mail to their central processing location in Chennai. I had mailed a copy of my sale deed, but that also is not enough - last week I got a follow-up from them saying I also need to submit "Possession Certificate" - whatever that means. Basically, 5 months on, the address change is still pending.

Quote:
2,3 Yes. However, there may be issues with ladies names. They sometimes prefer to use both maiden and married names for convenience.
There are no issues. My wife still uses her maiden name in all her documents including passport; but happily uses scanned copy of my passport for all her address proof needs. Nobody has objected so far. One agency at their own initiative created a name for her (her first name tagged to my first name) and refused to change it; she then gave them a hand-written letter that after her marriage to me she is sometimes known by that name.

Last edited by binand : 22nd February 2015 at 08:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks