Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 11:00   #1036
BHPian

Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

All,
Need suggestion, I filed my ITR on Aug 8th and claimed refund of 1.6Lakhs. All my friends who claimed refund along with me have got their refund except me. The IT filing portal shows "Not Determined" status. Is there anything I can do ?
Old 30th September 2016, 08:57   #1037
BHPian

Have a query on treating the income from ESPP, ESOP, RSU - when said stocks are traded in US via a brokerage account therein.

I understand that these holdings are to be declared in the 'Foreign Assets' declaration as part of ITR2A.

Query is, supposing this wasn't done and one used ITR1 to file their returns ( in the year where the individual had sold/exercised his holdings and held or transferred proceeds to his India account).

In such a situation do these qualify as foreign income and should they be filed under the Income Declaration Scheme OR will a revised return need to be filed to account for these foreign assets..

Thanks
Haque
Old 30th September 2016, 09:19   #1038
Senior - BHPian

File a revised return. However if your return was accepted and processed and it is just for one year it MAY be ok to just declare last years + this years revenue together in this year and pay tax.

If the money was transferred to India - the funny part is, the indian bank will definitely ask you for a "reason" out of a set of specific reasons an inward remittance from abroad takes place. If you already indicated RSU etc there then that means the govt knows about it already and can ask you about it any time.

If there was a tax deduction (say 25%) in the USA on your RSU - then you could pay 5% more assuming 30% bracket and use the DTAA provisions to claim exemption.

In all such cases CHECK WITH A CA FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Have a query on treating the income from ESPP, ESOP, RSU - when said stocks are traded in US via a brokerage account therein.

I understand that these holdings are to be declared in the 'Foreign Assets' declaration as part of ITR2A.

Query is, supposing this wasn't done and one used ITR1 to file their returns ( in the year where the individual had sold/exercised his holdings and held or transferred proceeds to his India account).

In such a situation do these qualify as foreign income and should they be filed under the Income Declaration Scheme OR will a revised return need to be filed to account for these foreign assets..

Thanks
Haque
Old 30th September 2016, 23:44   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Need a little help. I got an intimation u/s 143(1). The problem is that the order doesn't consider my self assessment tax (SAT) paid in August 2016 - just before filing the ITR. Now when I log onto the website for a rectification request - I see that the ITR has the correct BSR / challan number as per the SAT receipt. I don't get this. The CPC has the SAT information correctly on the efiling website but they missed it in their computation. What should I do?
Old 1st October 2016, 05:10   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Phamilyman, when you pay self assessment tax you have to ensure that you mention it in the return, either using the auto fill option or by manually entering the bsr code, amount and other details. Which you have done.

And your form 26as has to reflect the tax credit of your SAT which I hope you checked.

If both are the case you can raise a ticket with the tech support at the incometaxindia e filing website mentioning all this and attaching proofs, they will usually withdraw the demand.
Old 3rd October 2016, 09:37   #1041
Senior - BHPian

phamilyman , I faced a similar problem where I had entered the challan number correctly but the date was incorrect and the advance tax payment was not considered. I finally made a rectification request with the right details and it was considered.

Just check if other details like date etc are correct.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 3rd October 2016 at 09:38.
Old 4th October 2016, 06:37   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Thanks folks. I will try SDP's idea first since it needs zero effort (no need to call and explain to anyone). if the demand still persists, will take time out to call the helpline and take up the issue in detail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Phamilyman, when you pay self assessment tax you have to ensure that you mention it in the return, either using the auto fill option or by manually entering the bsr code, amount and other details. Which you have done.

And your form 26as has to reflect the tax credit of your SAT which I hope you checked.

If both are the case you can raise a ticket with the tech support at the incometaxindia e filing website mentioning all this and attaching proofs, they will usually withdraw the demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
phamilyman , I faced a similar problem where I had entered the challan number correctly but the date was incorrect and the advance tax payment was not considered. I finally made a rectification request with the right details and it was considered.

Just check if other details like date etc are correct.
Old 4th October 2016, 07:23   #1043
Senior - BHPian

First check that the challan information - challan number, bank BSR code etc - are 100% correct in your return. If you use the Java utility and auto update from the income tax site before you submit, this should be automatic in any case.

You can call the call center - it isn't sarkari, run by a private vendor (TCS I think) and they are quite fast and professional. You may have to send scanned documents to a gmail address they give you, because the official nic.in address that they're supposed to use doesn't accept large attachments

In any case if it is a technical error at their end it usually gets resolved ASAP.
Old 4th October 2016, 20:44   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Guys need an advice.

Purchasing a flat in Pune and the query is related to filing of TDS.

The property is being registered jointly in name of me and my wife. Understand that the TDS has to be filed separately for both PANs. But how to do it.

Basically do we file for 50% each from either pan numbers? And in that case what is the property price? True value or value of respective share? In this case 50% each for me and my wife. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 4th October 2016, 21:20   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Here's a minor "experience" that felt good and which I want to share:
Over the weekend, got a letter from the Deputy Commissioner of IT regarding a minor payment that was due from a couple of years back. I had paid it but it was not showing in their records. The letter asked me to visit personally with payment proof at a certain date.

I called the number on the letter, and requested the person on the other line if I could email the payment challan across instead of a personal visit. The person on the other line turned out to be the DC himself, who asked me not to skip work but to simply courier the documents over. Pleasantly surprised by his reasonableness - was expecting a bureaucratic response.

Kudos to him and the department!

PS: I am unable to change the address in my PAN card. The website doesnt allow me to upload any documents. The error is thus:
All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)-ct4t4gtumaah_nt.jpg-large.jpg
Any suggestions?

Last edited by phamilyman : 4th October 2016 at 21:21.
Old 4th October 2016, 21:53   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The person on the other line turned out to be the DC himself, who asked me not to skip work but to simply courier the documents over. Pleasantly surprised by his reasonableness - was expecting a bureaucratic response.

PS: I am unable to change the address in my PAN card. The website doesnt allow me to upload any documents. The error is thus:
Any suggestions?
The new generation - indian revenue service officers - are very professional people. There is an older generation that got promoted up the chain from lower rungs and/or are too old and set in their ways to bother about mere taxpayers - such people lock their office at 11, have a leisurely lunch and a nap till 2 pm and go home at 4. Their PA usually tells people "come back next month". Depends on which sort of officer your salary circle is stuck with.

As for your upload issue - maybe the site doesn't accept JPEGs, try uploading as a PDF and see if that helps.
Old 4th October 2016, 22:25   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The new generation - indian revenue service officers - are very professional people. There is an older generation that got promoted up the chain from lower rungs and/or are too old and set in their ways to bother about mere taxpayers - such people lock their office at 11, have a leisurely lunch and a nap till 2 pm and go home at 4. Their PA usually tells people "come back next month". Depends on which sort of officer your salary circle is stuck with.
True - he was quite nice. I've heard so many horror stories that this gent was such a relief!
Quote:
As for your upload issue - maybe the site doesn't accept JPEGs, try uploading as a PDF and see if that helps.
The image is partially obscured by the TeamBHP watermark - I tried uploading both JPG and PDFs - both failed, leaving me really puzzled. Just like the earlier versions of irctc - this website is so surprising that its pushing me to use an agent.
Old 4th October 2016, 23:51   #1048
Senior - BHPian

See the faq - 400 kb per file limit and only pdf.

Quote:
Document Should be as per below mention Specification:

1. Resolution - 200DPI(Dot Per Inch)

2. Type of scanning - Color

3. File Format - PDF

4. Maximum allowable limit for PDF is 400KB per page. For eg. If PDF is having 5 pages, then size of PDF should not exceed more than 5 X 400 = 2000KB.
Old 8th October 2016, 14:51   #1049
BHPian

Did anyone else get a certificate from the IT dept. thanking them for their contribution to the nation ? Bit of a gimmick but it did make me chuckle.
Old 8th October 2016, 15:22   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Did anyone else get a certificate from the IT dept. thanking them for their contribution to the nation ? Bit of a gimmick but it did make me chuckle.
Yes , my father received a certificate from the IT department by e-mail.

It acknowledged his contribution towards paying taxes and nation building .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks