Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 20:34   #1231
BHPian

Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I have 2 queries :
1. I resigned from my previous organization and paid them back 1.7L as relocation charges because I quit before a year. Can I claim a tax exemption on that amount ?
There is no question of any exemption since this amount should be treated as never having been received at all. You should check if you have had additional taxes deducted (when this allowance/reimbursement was paid) and if that has been adjusted in the TDS after your final settlement has been made. If that has not happened (check the IT computation sheet issued by your employer), you should be able to claim a refund of the excess tax deducted when you file your return.

Quote:
2. My previous landlord deducted 1 month's rent for painting the house which by the way he did not before handing over to the next tenant, because I kept the house in pristine condition. Can I add that to my yearly rent ?
If this is done, one hopes the AO sees the lighter side of things Jokes apart, only the amount that your employer has captured under Section 10 in your Form 16, basis the rent receipts that you have submitted, can be claimed as exemption. In case you were not able to submit your rent receipts to your employer and exemption was not given, you can still claim HRA while filing tax returns with the exemption limited to the lower of A) Actual HRA received B) Rent minus 10% of basic salary C) 50/40% of basic salary. However, rent receipts are needed for the total amount paid as rent which I do not think is the case with the deduction from deposit made by your landlord.
Old 4th August 2017, 21:13   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
There is no question of any exemption since this amount should be treated as never having been received at all. You should check if you have had additional taxes deducted (when this allowance/reimbursement was paid) and if that has been adjusted in the TDS after your final settlement has been made. If that has not happened (check the IT computation sheet issued by your employer), you should be able to claim a refund of the excess tax deducted when you file your return.
Thanks for your reply ! I don't think they had added that to my income. Was just trying to see if I could save 50k on tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
If this is done, one hopes the AO sees the lighter side of things Jokes apart, only the amount that your employer has captured under Section 10 in your Form 16, basis the rent receipts that you have submitted, can be claimed as exemption. In case you were not able to submit your rent receipts to your employer and exemption was not given, you can still claim HRA while filing tax returns with the exemption limited to the lower of A) Actual HRA received B) Rent minus 10% of basic salary C) 50/40% of basic salary. However, rent receipts are needed for the total amount paid as rent which I do not think is the case with the deduction from deposit made by your landlord.
The last month was April this year so I can show the combined amount (rent + deduction) for the month with my employer. Is that something I can do ?
Old 4th August 2017, 21:24   #1233
BHPian

Quote:

The last month was April this year so I can show the combined amount (rent + deduction) for the month with my employer. Is that something I can do ?
April 2017 is the current FY and cannot be clubbed with last FY's returns. Just to be clear, you cannot claim the deposit deduction made by your landlord as HRA, unless he is showing it as rent for a subsequent month and giving you a receipt for it.
Old 5th August 2017, 16:18   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
No, to the best of my knowledge. Definitely seems suspicious.
Thanks for the advice. Went ahead and getting them filled via a known person.

Just a query-

I quit my earlier organization on 24 April 2016. Knowing fully that the tax implication, i did not claimed any HRA or anything under section 80 C.

For same organization, I had a Super attenuation fund contribution for 7.6 years, which was being managed via LIC. At time of signup, we were told that interest will be taxable and rest all can be withdrawn post end of employment. Post resignation, they allowed me withdraw of 30% of the accumulated amount only which was 1.06 L and LIC have started crediting me a annuity of 1200 Rs each month as per rules. Although i was not happy but I had little choice, so agreed and got 1.06 L withdrawn.

Now this 1.06 L is showing as income on IT website as a income from third company and i am being made to pay a 30 % tax on it. ideally this is annuity and not income . I did paid my taxes for year during which this accumulation happened . Same time, LIC did deducted a TDS on it. How does tax is calculated in above scenario. Do i need pay tax on while 1.06 L or only on interest. I think this is unfair that they changed rules mid way and now asking me to cough up 30% tax on my hard earned savings as well.
Old 16th August 2017, 16:15   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
After going through the links and blogs online, I spoke to the CPC customer care just now. I was advised not to take any action on the mail as they are reassessing the returns and will be receiving another communication. I expressed my concerns about the '30 days' time line and asked him the tentative timeline of when I might receive the new communication. He was not aware of the same and said it is in progress and I will get the mail as it is system generated. He also gave me a complaint reference number for future use.
Did you get any revision or any further update on this? The Aug 15th long weekend was spent racking my brains to figure out where the extra amount is coming from. Called up the helpline was couldn't get through at all. So just wanted to know if you got any further communication this
Old 16th August 2017, 16:54   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Did you get any revision or any further update on this? The Aug 15th long weekend was spent racking my brains to figure out where the extra amount is coming from. Called up the helpline was couldn't get through at all. So just wanted to know if you got any further communication this
Nope, I did not get any communication. I will wait for one more week and then call back and this time with the previous call reference number. I easily figured out that it was a mistake from them.
  1. They had not taken into account my contribution to 80G. Even then there was a mismatch which I did not wanted to investigate further as it was pointing to my Form 16 and cannot be a mistake
  2. They had added 17000+17000 = 27000
Old 16th August 2017, 18:14   #1237
Senior - BHPian

The functioning of the Government's premier direct tax collection agency says a lot about how things work in general at the administrative level. Three instances that compel me to say this:
  1. A retired Principal of a first grade college has recieved a demand notice for around ₹1,500 pertaining to the year 2006. Pretty fast detection of underpayment, i must say.
  2. A colleague is being asked to explain discrepancies in ITR 1 and Form 16 with reference to deductions claimed under Section 80C. Funnily, they both contain the exact same figures.
  3. Having waited for over two months, i recieve a message from my bank informing me that i have ₹ xx,xxx (yes, five figures!) credited into my account by way of Income Tax refund. Jumping with joy, I log in to my e-filing account and find that the status of my returns is still being shown as Successfully e verified instead of Processed. No mails or messages too from the department as yet.
Old 16th August 2017, 18:55   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The functioning of the Government's premier direct tax collection agency says a lot about how things work in general at the administrative level. Three instances that compel me to say this:
  1. A retired Principal of a first grade college has recieved a demand notice for around ₹1,500 pertaining to the year 2006. Pretty fast detection of underpayment, i must say.
  2. A colleague is being asked to explain discrepancies in ITR 1 and Form 16 with reference to deductions claimed under Section 80C. Funnily, they both contain the exact same figures.
  3. Having waited for over two months, i recieve a message from my bank informing me that i have ₹ xx,xxx (yes, five figures!) credited into my account by way of Income Tax refund. Jumping with joy, I log in to my e-filing account and find that the status of my returns is still being shown as Successfully e verified instead of Processed. No mails or messages too from the department as yet.
I had also been issues a refund of five figures but mine was taken care of very quickly in just two weeks. There is a different link, which I had to search for on Google, where one can check the refund status and that is where I checked mine. I also received an email from SBI two weeks after the refund telling me that they had transferred my tax refund via NEFT.
Old 16th August 2017, 19:32   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
There is a different link, which I had to search for on Google, where one can check the refund status and that is where I checked mine.
Please post the relevant link here as it would serve the needs of a lot of taxpayers.

Last edited by dailydriver : 16th August 2017 at 19:33.
Old 16th August 2017, 19:42   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Please post the relevant link here as it would serve the needs of a lot of taxpayers.
https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html
Old 16th August 2017, 20:10   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Thanks a lot.

My refund isn't reflected even there. But then, the site says that it takes around ten days from the date of issue of refund. That my Bank itself is the Refund Banker might have helped in my refund being credited and acknowledged by the bank even before the IT department's site.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th August 2017 at 22:33. Reason: Fixing URL.
Old 16th August 2017, 21:43   #1242
Senior - BHPian

I checked the refund status link and this is the output. Please advise. Have they started refund for the returns files this year. How to verify if my returns have been successfully processed. I have already done the e-verification at the time of filing returns.

"Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker.
If this refund has been sent by your Assessing Officer within the last week, you may wait for a week and again check status.
Note:-
Please contact your Assessing Officer.
"
Old 17th August 2017, 10:34   #1243
Senior - BHPian

Once you login to incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click "view returns / forms" you will get a status.

If your return has just been submitted and e-verified you'll get "Successfully e Verified"

For completed returns you'll get "ITR Processed"

If you click the acknowledgement number (select the return from My Account -
-> View eFiled Returns and Forms" you will get full details.

Do you have a refund you are expecting? If so check back after a week if the refund in question has been passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I checked the refund status link and this is the output. Please advise. Have they started refund for the returns files this year. How to verify if my returns have been successfully processed. I have already done the e-verification at the time of filing returns.

"Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker.
If this refund has been sent by your Assessing Officer within the last week, you may wait for a week and again check status.
Note:-
Please contact your Assessing Officer.
"

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th August 2017 at 10:42.
Old 17th August 2017, 10:52   #1244
Senior - BHPian

For AY 2011-12, I used to see "Demand determined" in income-tax site under my login. Yes, there was a discrepancy in my tax filing for that AY, but I never got any notice by post and the site never showed how much was the demand, and nothing ever showed up in the 'outstanding demand' section.

Since this calendar year beginning or so, I noticed that the status for 2011-12 AY has changed to "ITR processing completed". Does this mean that they've waived off / written off whatever outstanding demand I was liable for?

Last edited by clevermax : 17th August 2017 at 10:54.
Old 17th August 2017, 15:08   #1245
Senior - BHPian

My wife's salary is below the income tax threshold. She has worked for 2 years of the last 6 years. We've never filed tax returns for her. Is there anything she should be doing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks