Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 16:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a process to get refunds for Income Tax. I am still awaiting the refund for Assessment year 2009-10. Can anyone throw any pointers to the same ?
Old 9th July 2010, 17:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

I got my refund without really doing much, just the normal filling of the Saral form under the refund heading. I got mine 2-3 months back but that was for the 2008-2009 year.
So, I guess you might have to wait a little longer for your turn
Old 9th July 2010, 22:23   #33
BHPian

If one has income below the taxable limit and he has not filed any income tax returns, then what should he do if he is required to submit income tax returns proof for visa application? Any other document will help in this?
Old 9th July 2010, 22:55   #34
BANNED

Ashwin - I guess they are asking for proof of IT returns to ensure that you will not live off their social security network - especially in developed countries. So, I guess that there is really no alternative.

Depending on he country, try showing an asset statement - like land / building, etc.

@sheetumanu Thanks for clearing my doubts.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 9th July 2010 at 22:57.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
If one has income below the taxable limit and he has not filed any income tax returns, then what should he do if he is required to submit income tax returns proof for visa application? Any other document will help in this?
If he is salaried individual, he could try managing with Form-16. If this doesn't help, then file the returns and show 'em. Filing returns is not that cumbersome, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@sheetumanu Thanks for clearing my doubts.
My pleasure sir
Old 12th July 2010, 12:16   #36
BANNED

Usually i get the status via

Tax Information Network

Although it gives little information , i still need to go to my respective ward, talk to the ITO, warm their hands a little too much than needed (Usually 15% of the amount claimed refund)

Since 10 yrs, apart from paying regular taxes, i end up paying a cool 2 lacs as indirect taxes, to claim my refunds

Thats the way it is. Yeh hain India meri Jaan............!

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 12th July 2010 at 12:18.
Old 12th July 2010, 13:32   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Is there any good online service for filing tax returns? How does it work - does it avoid going to the income tax office?
Old 12th July 2010, 13:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Guess what, 2 years back I got a refund of Rs. 300 by Cheque, 3 days before it was to expire. I deposited it 2 days before in the drop box of my bank. BY the time it reached their banker (SBI) it was 1 day beyond the due date and returned with comment "Due date crossed".

I kept it back in an envelope into one of my files now who will spend the petrol and parking cost to revalidate a Rs. 300 refund. This is despite providing them with my bank details for a wire transfer.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is there any good online service for filing tax returns? How does it work - does it avoid going to the income tax office?
You could file the return online on Income Tax Return Filing website:

https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/index.jsp

It's damn simple, easy, convenient esp. if you are salaried. The site does contain instructions on how to file the return electronically. Here's the summary of required steps:

1. Register yourself on the site using your PAN.
2. Download ITR-1 (only if you are salaried) or the appropriate Return Preparation Software. It is nothing but an Excel sheet.
3. Fill the Excel sheet and generate an xml file.
4. Upload the xml file on the website to generate an ITR-V form.
5. Print this ITR-V form, sign it and send it to the designated address through ordinary or speed post.
6. You shall receive an acknowledgment receipt on your email once the form reaches IT Deptt.

That's it, you are good to go then

It's damn cheap as well, you'll end up spending just 10~20 bucks for the whole thing.

NOTE: These are summarized and not detailed steps. The detailed instructions are present on the website.

Should you require further assistance, I shall be glad to help, of course Free of Charge
Old 12th July 2010, 14:56   #40
BHPian

dear sheetumanu,

Whats the process for filing returns late, 2 years late to be precise. . I'm a salaried employee so there really isnt anything pending to be paid to the government or to be refunded, just that i forgot to file it a couple of years ago(call it laziness) but i want my papers to be clean so want to file it this year for sure.

Regards
Old 12th July 2010, 15:09   #41
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
5. Print this ITR-V form, sign it and send it to the designated address through ordinary or speed post.
Thanx for your reply!!!
Can this sent be courier also or does it have to be through post-office (i.e. regular or speedpost)?
Old 12th July 2010, 15:44   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

The problem has arisen here because he received some salary in arrears, his gross income would have been below the taxable limit but for the arrears.
Under section 89(1) of the IT Act, he can spread the arrears that he has received to the respective years i.e. if he has received arrears for the last financial year ,then he can add the arrears to that financial year instead of the one in which he has received the arrears and compute tax accordingly, if any.

Last edited by rishab.k : 12th July 2010 at 15:45.
Old 12th July 2010, 15:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanx for your reply!!!
Can this sent be courier also or does it have to be through post-office (i.e. regular or speedpost)?
It has to be ordinary post ONLY. No registered post or courier.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:32   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Under section 89(1) of the IT Act, he can spread the arrears that he has received to the respective years i.e. if he has received arrears for the last financial year ,then he can add the arrears to that financial year instead of the one in which he has received the arrears and compute tax accordingly, if any.
Yes; I am trying to work that out - government records are in such a disarray that it is a pain to retreive even such simple and relatively recent records.

The problem is, if arrear pay is added to previous years, he ought to have filed returns for those years too.

Like, if taxable limit was 1.1 L; in year 1, and his income (gross) was 1.05, adding arrears received in year 2 takes the gross for year 1 to 1.20, making him liable to file returns for that year too. There is no tax liability for any of these years (1, 2, and 3).
Old 13th July 2010, 11:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
dear sheetumanu,

Whats the process for filing returns late, 2 years late to be precise. . I'm a salaried employee so there really isnt anything pending to be paid to the government or to be refunded, just that i forgot to file it a couple of years ago(call it laziness) but i want my papers to be clean so want to file it this year for sure.

Regards
You could file previous year returns online by selecting the appropriate Assessment Year under Submit Return section.

Say, you want to file last year's (FY 2008-09) return. Since you are salaried, you need to download ITR-1 form. Fill the form with your last year's financial details (refer to that year's Form-16 provided by your employer). Once you are through with ITR-1 and have generated the xml file, navigate to Submit Return > Select Assessment Year > AY 09-10 on Income Tax E-filing website and upload the xml file. Print the ITR-V, sign it and send it to the designated address through ordinary post or speedpost.

You can send multiple ITR-V forms in the same envelope.

Quote:
Thanx for your reply!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
It has to be ordinary post ONLY. No registered post or courier.
From this year onwards, you could send it through SPEEDPOST as well but NO COURIER/REGISTERED POST.

Most Viewed