Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 15:53   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

I got refund from IT department last week. A pleasant surprise.
They send an email with subject: Intimation U/S 143(1) for PAN.....
Old 27th October 2014, 08:04   #572
J.Ravi

Yesterday, I received sms and email intimating the refund order dated 16 Oct 2014 u/s 143(1) of Income Tax Act. The refund is yet to be credited to my bank account. A few days earlier, I received sms intimating that my IT return was processed and the order would be issued soon.

Old 27th October 2014, 10:54   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Yesterday, I received sms and email intimating the refund order dated 16 Oct 2014 u/s 143(1) of Income Tax Act. The refund is yet to be credited to my bank account. A few days earlier, I received sms intimating that my IT return was processed and the order would be issued soon.
Its only the order for the refund. Download the order and check whether the refund matches with the return filed by you.
Actual credit will take few days. If you had opted for cheque , then you will get tracking number for that also, once it is dispatched .
Old 29th October 2014, 18:47   #574
Senior - BHPian

I noticed some huge amount in my outstanding tax demand in AY2008-09 even after paying all taxes for that year, what should I do?

More details

I have been a regular tax payer for over a decade. I started using the e-filing facility when it bacame available, but never bothered to explore the e-filing web portal apart from yearly e-filing chores.

Couple of months back I happened to view the "Outstanding tax demand" page in the site and I was shocked to see that there is an outstanding demand of over 200000 rupees for AY 2008-09. I am sure that I had paid all my taxes for FY 2007-08 (It was deducted at source from my employer). I had no other income apart from my salary for that year, and the form 16 given by my employer clearly indicates the TDS details. I have also checked that year's ITR-V and it acknowledges the tax paid as TDS.

The weird thing is that, the outstanding tax demand page is inconsistent - sometimes it lists nothing, sometimes it lists the amount for AY2008-09 and sometimes it lists Rs 3/- for another AY.

Should I be alarmed? Do I need to raise a rectification request or just do not bother about it at all? Please share your thoughts.
Old 29th October 2014, 18:52   #575
Senior - BHPian

I had received a defective notice during the month of April for AY 2013. I filed a revised one under 139(9) almost immediately and I have an acknowledgement for the same. However, I received the same SMS and an email today too, asking me to pay the taxes due and file the revised return. What am I supposed to do?

I have no taxes due, as salary is my only source of income.
Old 29th October 2014, 20:10   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I noticed some huge amount in my outstanding tax demand in AY2008-09 even after paying all taxes for that year
TDS discrepancy is a common problem in income tax systems. One way to ensure peace of mind is to have your CA get an ITCC (income tax clearance certificate) from Income Tax.

This will give you a written document to handle any query.
Old 29th October 2014, 20:39   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I noticed some huge amount in my outstanding tax demand in AY2008-09 even after paying all taxes for that year, what should I do?

More details

I have been a regular tax payer for over a decade. I started using the e-filing facility when it bacame available, but never bothered to explore the e-filing web portal apart from yearly e-filing chores.

Couple of months back I happened to view the "Outstanding tax demand" page in the site and I was shocked to see that there is an outstanding demand of over 200000 rupees for AY 2008-09. I am sure that I had paid all my taxes for FY 2007-08 (It was deducted at source from my employer). I had no other income apart from my salary for that year, and the form 16 given by my employer clearly indicates the TDS details. I have also checked that year's ITR-V and it acknowledges the tax paid as TDS.

The weird thing is that, the outstanding tax demand page is inconsistent - sometimes it lists nothing, sometimes it lists the amount for AY2008-09 and sometimes it lists Rs 3/- for another AY.

Should I be alarmed? Do I need to raise a rectification request or just do not bother about it at all? Please share your thoughts.
This is what would have happened.

1. During those years, TDS returns were not filed properly, like invalid PAN, Challan mismatch etc., this caused many problems for tax payers, where their tax credit was not matched properly. Your employer must have received these discrepancies , and penalty and interest would have been served on him for improper TDS filing. Your employer would have made correction statements in the meantime and would have been processed. That is the reason your demand is rectified now (Rs.3 demand is no concern , one can roundoff upto Rs.10 so ignore that amount)

2. In case of TDS has not been properly credited, you should approach your employer to make the correction statement properly. You need not file any rectification return because, it is not your fault.

Hope this helps you. cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I had received a defective notice during the month of April for AY 2013. I filed a revised one under 139(9) almost immediately and I have an acknowledgement for the same. However, I received the same SMS and an email today too, asking me to pay the taxes due and file the revised return. What am I supposed to do?

What is the reason behind the tax due?

You source of income is Salary only. So, has your employee deducted TDS on your salary ? And is the TDS properly credited to your account.? You can check the Form 26AS in the ITefiling site and check your Tax status.

Also , you need to ascertain the reason behind the defective return.What is the error code ? If your CA has filed your return of income , kindly check up with your CA.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2014 at 21:00. Reason: Posts merged on request.
Old 29th October 2014, 22:54   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
T Your employer would have made correction statements in the meantime and would have been processed. That is the reason your demand is rectified now (Rs.3 demand is no concern , one can roundoff upto Rs.10 so ignore that amount)
Thanks for the detailed reply. What I meant by inconsistent display of Outstanding amounts was that most of the time it shows Rs 2L outstanding for AY2008-09, but sometimes it also shows Rs 3 outstanding for another AY. Sometimes, both of these won't appear as well.

I have been checking the outstanding for the last few weeks I saw the amount listed all the time except once.

Another observation is that never ever I got an e-mail or sms from IT department about this outstanding amount.

Last edited by clevermax : 29th October 2014 at 22:56.
Old 30th October 2014, 06:52   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I too got the email and the SMS (defective return for AY2013-14). But if you notice, the email attachment says:

"If you have already paid the taxes due and filed a corrected return u/s 139(9) in response to the defective return notice, please ignore this message"

which is what I propose to do. I had paid my tax dues and submitted another return earlier this year (in July). That return is sitting there in the e-filing portal with status "Return Uploaded".

Though I'd be curious, with only salary income how did you end up having a defective return? Did you change jobs during the year? In my case it was due to my estimating rental income in one way and paying advance tax based on that estimate, and the actual rental income being a bit on the higher side.
Old 30th October 2014, 08:59   #580
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In my case it was due to my estimating rental income in one way and paying advance tax based on that estimate, and the actual rental income being a bit on the higher side.
If the computation shows any amount payable please pay it and amend the return.
Old 30th October 2014, 10:01   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If the computation shows any amount payable please pay it and amend the return.
I have done so already (several months ago). Thanks.
Old 30th October 2014, 10:46   #582
Senior - BHPian

my AS 2013-14 or FY12-13 return filled in July 2013 acknowledged by IT department that they have received ITRV in Sep 2013 is yet to be processed. I need to get a refund hence wanted to know the process of expediting this processing.

thanks,
DF.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:44   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That return is sitting there in the e-filing portal with status "Return Uploaded".

Though I'd be curious, with only salary income how did you end up having a defective return? Did you change jobs during the year? In my case it was due to my estimating rental income in one way and paying advance tax based on that estimate, and the actual rental income being a bit on the higher side.
Even my revised return is sitting in the e-filing portal with status as 'Return Uploaded'

I am not sure what went wrong, I have no other source of income apart from my salary. Guess, I made some mistake while filing the original return and then corrected it. No jobs were changed in the last 8 years. I will try to call the numbers they have given and then take it forward from there.
Old 30th October 2014, 12:33   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will try to call the numbers they have given and then take it forward from there.
I called this number 18004252229 (Toll Free), its the call center number for Bangalore, so may be different in other states. They took down my complaint, and asked me to check the status after 8 working days and also provided me with a reference number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I need to get a refund hence wanted to know the process of expediting this processing.
thanks,
DF.
You should call and at least raise a ticket with them.

Quote:

"If you have already paid the taxes due and filed a corrected return u/s 139(9) in response to the defective return notice, please ignore this message"
I thought of doing the same, but for absolute peace of mind gave them a call and will now call them after two weeks for a status if I do not get any response from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post

What is the reason behind the tax due?

You source of income is Salary only. So, has your employee deducted TDS on your salary ? And is the TDS properly credited to your account.? You can check the Form 26AS in the ITefiling site and check your Tax status.

Also , you need to ascertain the reason behind the defective return.What is the error code ? If your CA has filed your return of income , kindly check up with your CA.
I checked my 26AS form, the tax has been deducted and also paid, no issues there. I believe I did not update the original form correctly. I filed it myself.
Old 30th October 2014, 12:34   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure what went wrong, I have no other source of income apart from my salary. Guess, I made some mistake while filing the original return and then corrected it. No jobs were changed in the last 8 years. I will try to call the numbers they have given and then take it forward from there.
First thing to do, open your return (download it from the e-filing website) and see if there is a mismatch between tax payable and tax paid. If the latter is lower than the former, you have to make a payment ("self-assessment tax"), include the challan number in your return and re-file it. Essentially you need to get the "Amount Payable" field to be 0.

It could be that your employer computed tax liability wrongly and deducted less tax than was due; you need to make up the difference yourself and pay any interest accrued. The IT return form (Excel version is what I use) will compute all this automatically.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks