Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2008, 08:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

I dont think its really late now. Still more than a month to go live in BIAL. So, there are time for the govt (president/governor?) to appoint a special task force to study the feasibility of providing safe journey with public transport to & fro for the BIAL from main city locaitons. I agree that the roads are not ready. But still, if govt can ply good amount of public transport, then atleast the number of small cars/cabs will reduce and help in easing the traffic a bit.
In the end of the day, its safety thats most important than fast or quick.
Will that happen?
Btw, just curious,
Can this be a oppurtunity for unemployed Graduates / travels? To operate a private pickups at fixed times to & from BIAL? I am sure this will really have good takers, unless the travel guy is too greedy to charge hefty amount.
Old 15th April 2008, 08:37   #77
Team-BHP Support

After the latest trip to Bangalore by flight, I am having some thoughts on this whole matter. I usually fly Mangalore-Bangalore sector, and that's how most of my business visitors arrive.

About 3 years back I could fly Mangalore-Bangalore and back in Air Deccan for Rs.2000 or in Jet Airways for Rs.3300. Yes, this was for a two-way trip. Therefore, I had stopped traveling by Bus, and Train didn't have service then.

But my last week's trip cost me Rs.7000 on Jet Airways, even the Kingfisher/AirDecaan charges were close to the same figure. With the new Bangalore airport, the charges are likely to go up. Now add the two hours of extra time (and taxi fare) of travel from/to the new airport.

In other words, bus/train service has started looking attractive again. It ain't worth traveling by air on short haul sectors anymore.
Old 15th April 2008, 08:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Boss even long distance flying is pinching hard.

There are days when we travel Del-Blr by Indigo/GoAir for like 3-4.xx thousand versus the last minute kingfisher/Jet flights costing 14-16k ONEWAY!! And with coupon tickets costing 75k for a set of 8, this inflation is here to stay!

With the new Bengalooru airport, things will surely become a complete mess for business visitors and consultants flying in for day meetings.
Old 15th April 2008, 08:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

The major chunk of this cost is TAX (or Fuel sc, passenger fees etc whatever airlines like to call).

But Govt says Airlines give ONLY 225rs as tax to the government, and airlines says rest are fuel charges, parking etc etc etc...

Time for more ghareb rath... Probably we need more Mr. Lallu on airline sector...
Old 15th April 2008, 09:07   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

In other words, bus/train service has started looking attractive again. It ain't worth traveling by air on short haul sectors anymore.
What about that Grand Vitara - you can drive straight to your destination as opposed to those long winding roads
Old 16th April 2008, 11:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
with you, i travel goa mumbai and goa bangalore regularly, and the train is what i take. services have improved considerably and punctuality is also good. prices are dropping with every budget. unlike aviation fuel (and air ticket prices) which is skyrocketting.
Old 16th April 2008, 11:46   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
What about that Grand Vitara - you can drive straight to your destination as opposed to those long winding roads
You guys don't realise how much Bangalore roads have changed in two years, it gets too confusing for an occasional visitor. Besides, the parking is a nightmare everywhere, I don't have a parking spot for GV even near my bro's house where I usually stay. Renting a taxi during day is most optimal for me since I don't have to worry about parking or driving directions.

If somebody has a safe parking spot where I can leave the GV when I visit, let me know.
Old 16th April 2008, 12:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Btw, just curious,
Can this be a oppurtunity for unemployed Graduates / travels? To operate a private pickups at fixed times to & from BIAL? I am sure this will really have good takers, unless the travel guy is too greedy to charge hefty amount.
I doubt it. The airport will operate its own taxi service, most likely - which means no other taxi can go to the airport or pick up from the airport.

The airport-operated taxis may also be dearer and they probably wont have enough taxis to service the crowd initially. Interesting times ahead....
Old 16th April 2008, 12:40   #84
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Steeroid;797821]I doubt it. The airport will operate its own taxi service, most likely - which means no other taxi can go to the airport or pick up from the airport.

The airport-operated taxis may also be dearer and they probably wont have enough taxis to service the crowd initially. Interesting times ahead....[/quote

There will also be so many Volvo buses running from different points of the city.

For people who think the airfare will be close to taxi charges etc.,...

For most ordinary people who travel by bus or train, they pay more for arriving at the train/bus station than they pay for 200 kms of journey. They never complained !!
Old 16th April 2008, 13:26   #85
Senior - BHPian

@srishiva: spot on. happens all the time. esp poor noida/gurgaon waasis who come to delhi for trains. 500 roundtrip ac to jaipur. one way cab is 600

@steeroid: not true. delhi airport and train stations have pickup facilities where the travels guy waits outside, and comes to pickup on recieving your call. drive through is allowed even at HIAL. ofc, works only with smalltime operators, not the big guys.
Old 17th April 2008, 18:28   #86
Senior - BHPian

yeh lo ji. things take another turn:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryP...h+fee%e2%80%99
Old 17th April 2008, 19:07   #87
BHPian

Since the discussion about airports i am adding my feelings on the airport change in Hyderabad. I am a regular traveller travelling 3-4 times a month. When the Hyderabad airport was at Begumpet, my travel time estimates was about 45 mins to 1.15mns to reach the airport before the reporting time at the airport counter. Since the airport shifted the travel time i budget to the airport has gone up by an additional hour.

I cribbed the difficulty the first couple of times, shrugged it off the next couple of times, now it has become a second nature. Overall the shift of the airport has not really made a difference in my travel plans. Yes now i do consider travelling by train to bangalore and Chennai if i make my travel plans in advance ( Which does not happen many times), but i used to do it earlier , it was to save money rather than to avoid the travel time to airport.

A few things Hyd airport has done well is

1. Introduce a bus service which picks and drops people at 4 pre arranged spots in the city. The travel cost to the airport hence remains the same for me ~ 250Rs for a to and fro trip. The bus ticket costs 95 Rs.
2. For a more luxury travel there are Logan cabs from Meru and Easy cabs- it cost 460 Rs to my place during the day. I havent tried it late night.
3. There is an elevated high way being planned which would come up in 12-18 months which could cut down the travel time by 20-30 mins.

All in all the change of airport in Hyd was a good thing. The airport is much less chaotic, things happen in a systematic fashion. The cons are a few minor inconviniences which over the time becomes second nature.

Sorry for changing the location of discussion from BLR to HYD , but i think the parallels can be drawn
Old 20th May 2008, 18:31   #88
BANNED

Commencement of Commercial Operations at new Bangalore International Airport

Commencement of Commercial Operations at new Bangalore International Airport
  1. New Bangalore International Airport will be operational from May 23, 2008
  2. All flights scheduled to depart after 00:01 hours (local time) of May 23, 2008 will operate from the new Bangalore International Airport.
  3. All flights that have a departure after 00:01 hours (local time) of May 23, 2008 from BIAL are accepted for landing at the new Bangalore International Airport on May 22, 2008
  4. All flights that have a departure until 23:59 hours (local time) of May 22, 2008 will be operated from HAL airport (Current airport)
Attached Thumbnails
Calling all Bangaloreans - HAL & BIAL airports: A survey by R K Mishra-transportation-parking-map.jpg  

Old 20th May 2008, 18:40   #89
Senior - BHPian

The exit tax / user fee of Rs1070/- really bothers me :( Guess it has to be in place though.
Old 20th May 2008, 18:54   #90
BHPian

Parking charges at Rs 200 per day and Taxi charges at Rs 600 to city center (more for southern/eastern suburbs) will discourage people from driving down / hiring cab to BIAL.

there was a mention of Porter charges of Rs 75 (upto 3 luggages) and Rs 25 per luggage. Does this mean trolleys will not be available?

Most Viewed