Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 17:05   #31
BHPian

Good effort bigman.Not many can do what u have done so far.Lets hope that man is united with his family once again.
Old 13th February 2008, 19:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Good effort bigman.Not many can do what u have done so far.Lets hope that man is united with his family once again.
I think the real thanks must go to Minister Burney and to President Musharaf for appointing Ansar Burney to this position. I have done very little apart from alerting people via email, phone and SMS. (Thanks to my mobile contract the international calls did not cost a penny).

For President Musharaf this was no easy apointment, it is like Bush appointing someone from Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch to a senior government position. For years Ansar Burney has highlighted cases of human rights violations in Pakistan (and the world). It takes a special man with courage and honesty to undertake such steps.
Old 14th February 2008, 00:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Sorry to hear about your uncle. If you want I can PM you Ansar Burneys contact details.

Not sure if he will be able to find anything out but he is an honest upright man and will not give you false hope.
Sure man. Is there any email id?
I would definitely like to email him and also thank him for the great job that he is doing.
Old 14th February 2008, 00:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush View Post
Sure man. Is there any email id?
I would definitely like to email him and also thank him for the great job that he is doing.
I have sent you his mobile no and that of his PA via private message.

He has some contact information on the following site. It is rare for them to reply to emails so I would try sending them a fax or letter and follow up with a phone call. Do it as soon as possible as after the upcoming elections they will no doubt be new Ministers etc.

Ansar Burney Trust - Contact Information

Last edited by bigman : 14th February 2008 at 00:44.
Old 29th February 2008, 22:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

President Musharraf has approved the mercy petition and Kashmir Singh should be free early next week.

Watch how the wretched Indian media clamour around this story now. Several weeks ago the buggers were not even interested in this story and thought that the Reliance Power share issue was a bigger story and also Karrena sporting a diamond ring from Saif. No doubt politicians (several big time charlies from Hoshiarpur who were all contacted but could not be bothered to do anything) will also use his release for their own dirty motives.

Minister Ansar Burney may accompany him to India. I hope the Indian Government make good use of his office and reciprocate the gesture of the Pakistanis with similar releases.
Old 1st March 2008, 16:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hero's welcome awaits Kashmir Singh back home: IBNLive.com > Videos
Old 1st March 2008, 17:12   #37
BHPian

yeah---there was a big news on front page of The Tribune about Kashmir Singh and even today there was news about his welcome.

i just hope better senses prevail and both sides do something about other "Kashmir Singhs".
Old 3rd March 2008, 21:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Here we go, here is one chap who was contacted several weeks ago about this same issue. He could not be bothered with it till it hit the mainstream media.

New Delhi, March 3 (IANS) Avinash Rai Khanna, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MP from Hoshiarpur in Punjab, Monday sought to know when Kashmir Singh, the Indian prisoner who the Pakistan government had said was being released from jail after 35 years of detention in that country, will finally be free. “He is from my constituency. A lot of stories are appearing in the media about his possible release. The government should inform the House if his travel documents have reached Islamabad or not,” he asked in the Lok Sabha.

When will Kashmir Singh be freed, asks BJP MP - Thaindian News
Old 3rd March 2008, 22:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

The only time these guys bother about such issues,is when there are chances of some publicity. Some way to get their name in the papers/on the news,and these useless politicians stand up and try to act very responsible.
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
The only time these guys bother about such issues,is when there are chances of some publicity. Some way to get their name in the papers/on the news,and these useless politicians stand up and try to act very responsible.

So true. When Ansar Burney issued his press release I contacted all the Punjabi Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha members. This included Avinash Khanna, Ambika Soni etc etc (both represent Hoshiarpur from where Kashmir Singh orginates). None of these so called honourable members could be bothered to take up the case. I provided them all the details and requested them to help facilitate the return of Kashmir Singh as the Indian Consulate in Islamabad did not know much. These Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha wale ignored the issue. Now he is out of prison they want to capitalise on the release for their own dirty motives. I even contacted Brinda Karat who likes to porject herself as a social worker (again no response).

When Kashmir Singhs wife was struggling to bring up her children none of these MPs etc were willing to help. Now they court publicity as if they are seriously concerned about Kashmir Singh. Lets see if Avinash Khanna takes up the issue of Kashmir Singhs back wages for the 35 years he rotted in the Pakistani jail.

Last edited by bigman : 3rd March 2008 at 23:44.
Old 4th March 2008, 01:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

I know that a few Indians have been locked up for entering Pakistan illegally. POWs ought to be released after a while. Whats the whole point of holding these people as prisoners. Especially in this case,where they are all locked up in cells for 23hrs a day.Its not like these POWs are generating any revenue for Pakistan.

Bigman,any idea if India holds any Pakistani soldiers?
Old 4th March 2008, 09:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

All over the world, there still are some POWs captive for wars that ended decades ago.
I read this,somewhere.
Old 4th March 2008, 11:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Great effort bigman there are very few who take up such causes and so u deserve a round of . hope that the media and also the ministers allow kashmir singh to spend some quality time with his family than asking people like rajdeep sardesai was doing yesterday " aaapko kaise lag raha hai"
Felt like locking him up for so much time and then release him and ask him the same stupid question.
Old 4th March 2008, 21:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
hope that the media and also the ministers allow kashmir singh to spend some quality time with his family than asking people like rajdeep sardesai was doing yesterday " aaapko kaise lag raha hai"
Felt like locking him up for so much time and then release him and ask him the same stupid question.
Guess thats part of the protocol the media people need to follow.
From what I understand,Kashmir Singh has been on the wrong side of mental stability,so I 'd really wonder how he's taking this huge change in his life. Poor soul!
I hope that someday,every single POW is released and returned to their homeland.
Old 4th March 2008, 23:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I know that a few Indians have been locked up for entering Pakistan illegally. POWs ought to be released after a while. Whats the whole point of holding these people as prisoners. Especially in this case,where they are all locked up in cells for 23hrs a day.Its not like these POWs are generating any revenue for Pakistan.

Bigman,any idea if India holds any Pakistani soldiers?
I think both sides have held POW over the years. It is well known that Pakistan had POW that they failed to follow the norms on holding POW such as allowing Red Cross access and following to the letter what is stated in the Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War.

The following write up makes interesting reading and highlights our governments pathetic attitude : 54 Indian POWs Versus Sarabjit Singh By Farzana Versey

India does have numerous Pak prisoners. There was a case a few years ago where India wanted to release a Pak prisoner but the Pakistanis would not issue papers to facilitate his return. Poor chap was stuck in limbo as his own country were not bothered. Both sides hold lots of fisherman who stray into each others territorial waters.

Good to see the BJP MP Avinash Khanna once again turned up to milk publicity. I hope he is sincere and now takes up the case of Kashmir Singhs back pay for 35 years etc etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed