Team-BHP - Importing A Used Car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Importing A Used Car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3568-importing-used-car.html)

Hi all, I have a query about importing a used car..One of my friend in sydney is using a lancer , He wants to import it to india..can anyone tell how much will it cost to import it here..He's mainly concerned about the tax..I've heard like it's 120% tax for importing a new car or bike.. What about used car.?? Anyone has any idea about it???

:confused:

Hey Dude!!
Try this link.. May be of some use.. ;)

IndianCustoms

Just a thought...why would he want to import a Lancer (assuming its a normal lancer and not an Evo)?

He's comin back to india, he dont want to leave his car i guess...Lancer is very cheap there, thats another reason...

Ture, it may be cheap there, but factor in the duties he would have to pay, plus shipping charges and other headaches that go along with the paperwork, it just does not make sense! All this trouble for a stock 1.6 or 1.8 lancer? The final cost would work out more than if he were to buy a new one here!

You should tell him to reconsider, or import an Evo, which would be worth the trouble! :D

ya thats true,Rtech which is the latest version of Evo in the market now??

even i was wondering the same thing
like what is the duty if someone wants to import their cool jag or something???

no idea dude.. IS there any sites about the import duties and stuffs like that for cars and bikes??

Duh,
I had posted a link(Go up)... Its regarding duties and stuff like that!!
Guess it'l giv u some idea about u'r doubts!!

Hey Folks...Can an Indian citizen import a used car if he recieves it as a gift from a foriegn national or it is willed to them as an inheritance? If so what are the duties for this? Cannot find anything on this in Indian Cutoms website. thx

In addition to above question, can one import a used car that you may be using during your stay abroad? how is customs duty calculated (on original cost or depreciated value)? paperwork required?

Quote:

Originally Posted by the VTEC guy (Post 1014942)
In addition to above question, can one import a used car that you may be using during your stay abroad? how is customs duty calculated (on original cost or depreciated value)? paperwork required?

There is enough info available on your question if you search on the forum, several threads have been started on this topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canonball (Post 1014756)
Hey Folks...Can an Indian citizen import a used car if he recieves it as a gift from a foriegn national or it is willed to them as an inheritance? If so what are the duties for this? Cannot find anything on this in Indian Cutoms website. thx

I have the same question, if any one would be kind enough to answer.

@canonball: if you find out anything about this through other sources would you please post them on this thread.

Don't take my word for this but AFAIK even if it is a gift the same percentage of duty and depreciation applies for importing the car. It also MUST be RHD and the speedometer must be in kmph and not mph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spawnofsatan (Post 1015543)
Don't take my word for this but AFAIK even if it is a gift the same percentage of duty and depreciation applies for importing the car. It also MUST be RHD and the speedometer must be in kmph and not mph.

so basically we cannot import from US