Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2008, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Largest number of road accidents in Tamil Nadu & Maharashtra

Hi, Please check the link
Largest number of road accidents in Tamil Nadu,Maharashtra- Latest News-The Economic Times

Some highlights
>over a lakh people died in 2006 from road accidents. This is turning out to be some kind of population control measure huh?
>Tamil Nadu has 55,145 cases (14 per cent) while Maharashtra had 48,887 incidents (12.4 per cent)

How can this be reduced? This is a shared responsibility and we as drivers try to do as much as possible but I guess the chaotic traffic we have in India is largely responsible for this crazy death figures.
Old 18th February 2008, 16:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

I wouldnt be surprised if TN topped the list.

During my drive yesterday to Hoganekkal in TN, I witnessed 5 accidents and all on the same stretch of road leading to Hoganekkal

3 people lost their lives and am sure all this goes unreported.
Old 19th February 2008, 11:58   #3
BHPian

Even though the roads are better TN tops in the accidents list. I think its mainly due to the carelessness while on the road by the people.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Maybe there is a direct relation between length of road network in a state and the number of accidents? Longer the network, more the chances of a road accident!
And according to wikipedia, TN has a total road length of 167,000 kms, which is nearly 2.5 times higher than the density of all India road network. In the light of that fact, the news isnt really susprising.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

its just carelessness of the drivers; least respect for human life!

and also lack of accountability.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

True, but it also depends on the driving habits, awareness and education level on the traffic/road rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Maybe there is a direct relation between length of road network in a state and the number of accidents? Longer the network, more the chances of a road accident!
And according to wikipedia, TN has a total road length of 167,000 kms, which is nearly 2.5 times higher than the density of all India road network. In the light of that fact, the news isnt really susprising.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
True, but it also depends on the driving habits, awareness and education level on the traffic/road rules.
Totally with you on that. But all that doesnt change much as you cross state borders.

Its just that i dont have much faith in the news media and i look at almost every news article with a bit of suspicion, especially the ones that come out of the Times group.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

well.. i second amitoj, after reading about the private treties, i take any times report with a tablespoon of salt.
One of the reasons why there might be such a high accident level could be attributed to the number of trucks plying in and out of TN. With 2 functioning ports, and container terminals, that can be one reason. Also, as amitoj pointed out - lots of road. And since they appear well maintained, you have them speeding. Take East Coast road- very dangerous...but nothing is being done. Instead they have put "barricades" in the way. If a guy is drunk - he is going to hit that damn barricade smack and that in turn will hit another vehicle.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:58   #9
BHPian

Our local politicos , bureaucrats and cops can take pride -TN will be always be first

As a roadie i feel that the drivers of all vehicles have the least regard for fellow humans compared to other southern states atleast.

The habit of slow traffic on the extreme right lane starts from here!

The government has a lot do now. It's a disgrace, to be honest.
Old 19th February 2008, 13:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Our local politicos , bureaucrats and cops can take pride -TN will be always be first

As a roadie i feel that the drivers of all vehicles have the least regard for fellow humans compared to other southern states atleast.

The habit of slow traffic on the extreme right lane starts from here!

The government has a lot do now. It's a disgrace, to be honest.
The stupid road designs, suicidal junctions, thoughtless barricades, awful road bumps....all result from one fact. The people who make / decide them are NOT the users. They are IDIOTS who scribble some crap design on paper and then they travel on the WELL CUSHIONED BACK SEAT of their SOFT SUSPENSIONED cars. These people NEVER DRIVE. So they never know.

Even if they drive how would they know. It needs common sense. Its a pity money can't buy that.

-- Torqy
Old 19th February 2008, 13:20   #11
BANNED

How come nobody mentions the countless LUNA(tics) who XL in driving their 80CC gearless harley-davidsons through the middle line?

What about the poor people, who cannot even afford a chappal, hence have to walk on the tarmac to avoid the glass shards on the road side?
Old 20th February 2008, 23:51   #12
BHPian

i always thought that Maharashtra was the state with most number of road accidents with the insane number of two wheelers and our 'truckwallas' who think they own the road. its sad to know that nothing is being done except false promises to ease down the rate at which people are loosing their lives because of someone else's lunatic driving.

everyday in the paper there are at least two fatal mishaps that i read about mostly involving bikes and trucks. i dont know who to blame them on - our roads or the peoples driving skills or a bit of both.
Old 21st February 2008, 02:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Can't really blame them,but I've heard of alteast 6-8 instances,when my family members have gotten into trouble for hitting people selling coconuts/sugar cane/ Colas on the road side. They tend to stand with their arms outstretched,onto the road,and offer things. 4 out of these 6 times,the car rammed into the person standing with the produce,right on a blind curve. The person driving the car would slow down,and do safe speeds on the curve.But little would they anticipate someone standing right there! And if there's a bus/truck coming in from the other side, the first action is to move away from the centre of the road.
Anyway,I know that these instances are high,and with people darting around at junctions, its quite natural that the accident rate is so high in TN
Old 21st February 2008, 04:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

and to add to the chaos the highways with standard 17feet dividers grow a garden on them even when approaching the u-turns which creates a good solid blind spot and a perfect recipe for disaster!

man when will the government learn?

and more over money spent uselessly watering these plants using a tanker that moves slowly or the workers with out sense keep running along the highway while working.

Last edited by rider60 : 21st February 2008 at 04:55.
Old 21st February 2008, 08:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

there is quite a lot of inter state transports in TN. Like madan has said, there are 2 active ports which attract a lot of lorry traffic, plus the fact that most of these trucks wouldn't pass a FC makes it worse. The last week saw 2 out of state trucks break down right in the middle of main roads during peak hour rush.

I dont believe that any state has generally better drivers as suggested by someone. we are all the same anywhere in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks