Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 19:13   #31
BHPian

Let's have a look at this. Don't know if this will help though, if Aircel really wanted to help then they could have done this anonymously instead of using the tigers' plight to their advantage so shamelessly.

I think what will really help is for all of us who really care to actually devote our time, get on the ground and volunteer. If there's an initiative I am willing to devote at least one month in a year and work anywhere in India, travel and live at my own expense while volunteering. And if there are worthy efforts i would dontae money too. If anyone needs a volunteer to spread awareness, protect tiger habitat, help forest guards or to intercept and thwart poachers send me a pm, I'm your man!!!

You guys wanna save tigers?? Let's get organized, roll up our sleeves and do it ourselves!

Edit:

Ok I just checked the website and just as I suspected, it's nothing but shameless opportunistic moneymaking for these greedy corporates. Just bloody sickening!!! No offense to the original poster, I know dude you started this thread with noble intentions.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 5th February 2010 at 19:32.
Old 5th February 2010, 19:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Let's have a look at this. Don't know if this will help though, if Aircel really wanted to help then they could have done this anonymously instead of using the tigers' plight to their advantage so shamelessly.

I think what will really help is for all of us who really care to actually devote our time, get on the ground and volunteer. If there's an initiative I am willing to devote at least one month in a year and work anywhere in India, travel and live at my own expense. If anyone needs a volunteer to spread awareness, help forest guards or to intercept and thwart poachers send me a pm.

You wanna save tigers?? Let's get organized, roll up our sleeves and do it ourselves!
@wolfhart, this initiative is from WWF-India. Aircel is just a sponsor. I am not sure where you noticed the money-making scheme apart from a small Aircel logo. I am happy that there are people like you, who are ready to do the ground-work. Please go to the saveourtigers.com and click on the link where you can enroll for the volunteer work. The link will direct you to WWF-India website which is driving this work. There are really in need of people who can really work at the ground level. I have already volunteered for educating the locals in Sariska Tiger reserve that is in my hometown Alwar, Rajasthan. I would be there when I visit my hometown for annual visit.

You should be aware that not everyone can devote their time for the groundwork but atleast they can show their concern by voicing in the online petition. The petitions are necessary tools for any policy change in india, if you are aware of that. This initiative is to bring in as many people as it can before submitting this petition to indian government. My request to you, would be to go to the site and at least voice your concerns.

Last edited by Atul-C : 5th February 2010 at 19:53.
Old 5th February 2010, 20:21   #33
BHPian

I could not make edit to my previous post. Just to answer wolfhart's doubts that what these online petitions are. they are picked from the WWF Passport - About Passport

Passport campaigns are initiated by our conservation and communication people on the ground, around the world. When they need public support and pressure to help make things happen they contact the online team at WWF International. We create & manage the campaigns, send the action e-mail alerts, answer your questions and comments, and work hard to make Passport as good as it can be. The petition that you are signing on saveyourtigers.com is part of this passport campaign. The whole idea behind Passport is that it makes it easier for people who are short on time to have a big say on critical issues.
Old 6th February 2010, 00:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

This should be treated as a national emergency as cmon this is our national animal. ATleast for this reason we should wake up to save this majestic animal. I really feel sad that we would have to watch them inn a zoo where they end up doing nothing but idling! Imagine you have to do that the entire day!!

Coming to action plans we should all have one comitee like WWF who are commited to the cause rather than numerous comitees and the forest department should stop treating our forests like a commercial enterprise. This is not a business and this department should save not make cash.

Second step is we could have a a nationwide initiative to collect cash. Simple steps.
Well these are couple of ideas i got after seeing the efforts in the US
1) Mobile companies are tied with where you send a message to a particular number and you donate $10. Just imagine the collection you can make from this?

2) The retail chains have their own efforts where your bill is rounded up to the nearest even number. Not any major amount as the maximum you end up paying is like $ 1.99
If a store has like 10000 walk ins you could calculate the amount!
Old 6th February 2010, 14:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

Not just the tiger, I say let us consciously put in an effort to conserve every living being, even insects, trees etc. etc. etc.
Respect the life in all living beings and cause harm to none. Help maintain the ecological balance.

About tigers, mainly, poaching for their coats which adorn the homes of certain wealthy people has led to them being an endangered species.

When the buying stops, the killing will stop too.
Old 7th February 2010, 20:12   #36
BHPian

There were 164 views till now. I would have appriciated if everyone had responded here saying that they are also joining the cause. I would like to think that though thay did not respond, they still have joined the cause. It makes me scared thinking that people are still thinking about it as a publicity gimmick.
Old 7th February 2010, 20:58   #37
BHPian

We should have law such as anyone who is caught stealing or killing tigers be sentenced to death. Tiger are scares, criminals are overpopulated (close to 1 billion).
Old 7th February 2010, 21:15   #38
BHPian

Guys there is a petition going on @
Save The Tiger Petition
Please do take a little time out of your schedule to sign it and most importantly forward it to your friends.
Regards
MP

Last edited by motorpsycho : 7th February 2010 at 21:18. Reason: added
Old 7th February 2010, 22:21   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

We have 1411 tigers in India. They are poached, killed, skinned, made to perform in circuses, kept as pets in farmhouses of the rich and powerful, have their habitat rampantly destroyed by roads and cities, and act as mascots in various fund-raising campaigns. So what do these campaigns tell us to do? Blog, SMS, spread the word, at most create toothless laws that would never be implemented. And keep hoping. That's all a nation of 1.15 billion people can do, could do over the last 20 years.

Yet, just a little eastwards is a country that is about one-sixth the size of India, with about 6% of the Indian population, which performed a turnaround in tiger conservation over the last two decades.

2000 Tigers Possible In Thailand, Study Says

Opens our eyes wide.
Old 8th February 2010, 01:05   #40
BHPian

@ss traveler : Couldn't have said it better!

If we're so gullible to believe that signing online petitions, which are a dime a dozen are actually going to save tigers, we really do need a wake up call. The tiger campaign is just a marketing ploy to build brand image, get new subscribers and hits on websites.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 8th February 2010 at 01:07.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:45   #41
BANNED

The best would be to increase the awareness and write to your respective forest ministries letters of public support. Also we have to make sure the government does more then offer lip service to forests and wildlife. Corporate help is welcome and fine if they don't make it self promotional. Aircel is airing a good Ad but the site asks for signup with phone number which could be used for marketing their offers.

You can instead write to the project tiger govt initiative- Home Page-Project Tiger
Old 8th February 2010, 10:11   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

more than anything else, apathy is an attitude.
Care only comes with understanding.
We can rant and rave as much as we want and cry with frustration in private that things dont work.
But unless we take a hand and voluntarily get involved and try and get things done, this mess is here to stay.
Look also at the good side - Forest rangers in Bandipur and other places have been hand rearing leopard cubs that have been rejected by their mothers. And they ve been doing it of their own accord, with no extra money, no recognition and nothing else but love. Till it was publicized a few days ago in the TOI, not many of us even knew!
Having said this, Save Our Tigers is a good initiative so lets drop our cynicism for a moment and enroll. Many drops do an ocean make!
Old 8th February 2010, 10:35   #43
BANNED

Check out this new site of NTCA- Tigernet a directory of tigers and other wildlife mortality.

It shows that we have lost another 5 tigers this year, in a month

At this rate they will be gone before we know, why can't the govt declare a national emergency in this matter?
Old 8th February 2010, 11:07   #44
BHPian

Avoid China???

Most Tiger poaching is done to feed China and its medicine business.
India has taken up this issue with China and China refuses to take any action whatsoever(why would they) thus encouraging Tiger poaching.

Can we take a stand on China, Individually lets not buy Chinese products(Its very much possible - just tell your vendor I will not buy if its from China, more people saying this on a daily basis and he will have to rethink on his sourcing).
Old 8th February 2010, 12:41   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
Most Tiger poaching is done to feed China and its medicine business.
India has taken up this issue with China and China refuses to take any action whatsoever(why would they) thus encouraging Tiger poaching.

Can we take a stand on China, Individually lets not buy Chinese products(Its very much possible - just tell your vendor I will not buy if its from China, more people saying this on a daily basis and he will have to rethink on his sourcing).
Nopes, won't work at all. An international effort to embarrass the chinese would probably work. Big banners saying "China, your superstitions are decimating our wildlife, shame on you!"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks