Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2005, 11:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
guys wats happening to u all.
cmon its just an advertisement.its just BPCL's way of saying that Speed can improve ur performance.
there are so many ads that show so many other impossible things.
What they showed in this ad isn't impossible. It's very much possible (except for the rwd drift part haha). Speed improves performance no doubt, but does it turn a person into a complete hooligan too?

Schumacher and Barrichelo have done such ads too, for Fiat But there, those cars were being raced on the track and not on public roads.

There's this Audi A6 ad where a car is parked next to a railway line. Waiting for the train to pass it at full throttle and then try and pass the train at the railway crossing a few hundred meters away. They could have very easily done this using special effects but they chose not to.

The final words were - "But this commercial is really about a boy and his father, who like to watch trains". And it ends with a caption that says "Audi A6 - nothing to prove".

That is an ad. I don't think driving like carzy is the only way one can portray performance.

And like Rudra said, the car never looks comfortable doing those stunts.

Shan2nu
Old 27th January 2005, 11:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Havta agree with shantanu, rudra et al about this ad.
Does this ad even have that usual warning about stunts being performed by professionals... do not attempt.. bla bla bla? If it does, then its not visible enough coz i dont remember seeing one.
Secondly... why are the rear seat passengers not wearing seat belts?? Doesnt this reflect badly on the irresponsible attitude of the ad makers?

Amitoj
Old 27th January 2005, 12:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Does this ad even have that usual warning about stunts being performed by professionals... do not attempt.. bla bla bla?
Amitoj

u may be right and i am not defending BPCL.but the topic is "Is narain Karthikeyan ......".
i dont think anyone here has the ***** to be even 1% of wat he is.
even if he has done it ,he was perfectly under control.and i am sure he had taken all the precautions befor doing it.

and the person who says that there could be fools trying to copy narain after this ad ,is a bigger fool .
i am not sorry if i have offended anyone .

narain is not at fault, thats it!!!!!!!!
Old 27th January 2005, 12:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

[quote=speedsatya
all i have to say is that narain has not done anything wrong and i really feel sorry for all those guys who have criticized him
satya[/QUOTE]

Dear Satya, I'm one of those who criticized him and you feel sorry about.

Has Narain done something wrong? Yes he has. Being a celebrity, it's his duty to check what he's getting into while reading the script. If he can't see that, he should have checked with whoever.

The examples you gave here are not really relevent cause people (no matter how dumb they're) are not going to try those out on road. Because It's not possible for them to do.

Please watch out those visitors coming back from any drag meet. See how they're driving.
Putting thousand steakers on the car, getting a deep sound from the exhaust, pushing the sit back, holding the steering with full arm extended... they think they own the road little more than ever before, driving like a maniac... But theyre just getting back from the drag meet.

In India it happens Satya. As you rightly said it's only an ad..the sad part is people by and large don't know what to take as message and where to draw a line.
Old 27th January 2005, 12:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

"With great power, comes great responsibility" so said spidey's uncle.
Look at Amitabh Bachhan... in spite of his financial needs, he refuses to do ads for tobacco products.
Old 27th January 2005, 12:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at Amitabh Bachhan... in spite of his financial needs, he refuses to do ads for tobacco products.
Well, even he isn't completely off the hook. He is promoting Pepsi isn't he?

Shan2nu
Old 27th January 2005, 12:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

I think we are all getting a little too politically correct for our own good.

Everything we see on TV could be an influence to someone. We can't make everything antiseptic can we? I think its pretty clear that the ad is purely for entertainment and nothing else.

If a person see's this ad and goes out and tries to copy the stunts, well, he is a bit off center if you ask me, and would have probably done that anyway, sooner or later. There's no stopping that.

You can't expect people to live in a bubble. This is the real world, and people have to make their own decisions. you have to give them the benefit of the doubt that, just as you and I will see that ad as simply entertainment, so will the next person. I'd like to think we live in a world where the sane mind outnumbers the - for want of a better word - insane. You can't make the world run around the few who do crazy things.

As the saying goes, you can't make rules for bad people.
Old 27th January 2005, 12:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in spite of his financial needs, he refuses to do ads for tobacco products.
He really doesnt seem to be in any financial needs as of now according to me. Atleast the no. cars he has doesnt show that or at the speed he buys new ones . He may not do tobacco ads but hes doing every other ad. Of course cant blame it on him . He has seen bad days and like they say " Money is never enough"

Some ads by amitabh ... dabur, cadburys, pepsi, nerolac, eveready

But yes he really comes accross as very nice person to talk to. Had the oppurtunity to meet him twice.

Dippy

P.S I guess this went really
Old 27th January 2005, 12:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Well, even he isn't completely off the hook. He is promoting Pepsi isn't he?
at the risk of taking this thread off topic, i think AB's funda is that he wont promote something on TV that he himself wont do. He drinks pepsi so he thinks its ok for him to promote it. He doesnt use tobacco so he doesnt do those ads. He wears suits so he does ads fr Reid n Taylor.... so on and so forth. In short, he doesnt preach wot he doesnt practice. Isnt it a step in the right direction in the era of ads like that "Kuch bhi ho sakta hai" apple juice ad?

Rtech, its my personal opinion but i think u give too much credit to the junta. Common sense isnt so common.

PS: Dippy, about the

Last edited by amitoj : 27th January 2005 at 12:44.
Old 27th January 2005, 12:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
Everything we see on TV could be an influence to someone. We can't make everything antiseptic can we? I think its pretty clear that the ad is purely for entertainment and nothing else.

If a person see's this ad and goes out and tries to copy the stunts, well, he is a bit off center if you ask me, and would have probably done that anyway, sooner or later. There's no stopping that.

and the person who feels narain will be responsible for that ,is more off his !@!#@!.
given the resources that he had and the struggle that he has gone through ,narain is solely responsible for putting india on the racing map.,inspite of all the effoets of FMSCI and MAI,to stop that
he is narain bhagvaan,and bhagvaan can never be irresponsible.thats it.

over n out

Last edited by speedsatya : 27th January 2005 at 12:46.
Old 27th January 2005, 13:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and the person who feels narain will be responsible for that ,is more off his !@!#@!.
given the resources that he had and the struggle that he has gone through ,narain is solely responsible for putting india on the racing map.,inspite of all the effoets of FMSCI and MAI,to stop that
he is narain bhagvaan,and bhagvaan can never be irresponsible.thats it.
Nobody is questioning his abilities. He has done what others couldn't do. We're not even discussing his racing career here.

Quote:
Nope, in most cases, it's only when you see others doing it, will you try doing it yourself. What celebs do, can have a very great influence on the people that admire them.

Everything from dressing style to hair styles, it's all there. What do you think "Dhoom" sytle racing is? It's nothing but a bunch of guys trying to do something they're not experienced enuf to do.

I agree that it isn't such a great deal. But when you have a choice, choose something that doesn't encourage people into doing something stupid.

Like i've said before, there are many other ways to show that "Speed" helps the car perform better. Engine smoothness, fuel efficiency, better pick up from lower rpm being some off them.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th January 2005 at 13:19.
Old 27th January 2005, 13:56   #27
BHPian

Who Is Supposed To Do On His Own Will During Advetisements, It Must Be The Directors To Be Blamed For His Act. A Good Driver Must Be Having His Own Style Of Driving,may Copy Some Good Driving Style From Others..he's Not Supposed To Ape The Acts Of Pros Like Narain(that Too In Ads Like That)...
Old 27th January 2005, 14:34   #28
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes for "stress relief", I watch Ronin, Bullit, BMW movies, and an old wizened mature man like me feels like going out, hearing the Vtec roar (can sense Shantanu's knees weakening!) and take off. Only thing holding me off is that small but major fact that, at 100km/h, a 1 second judgement means you are about 28 meters off track, on our roads, there are about 10 people standing within that range.

That is the small point that people forget. As Rudra mentioned,the scariest part of the drag werev idotis racing each other head on in dust clouds, 180 turns, synchro handbrake turns, the works. Anoop and I had the time of our life moving our cars to near the track

One day, something bad is going to happen, 'nuff said'
Old 27th January 2005, 14:34   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Rtech, its my personal opinion but i think u give too much credit to the junta. Common sense isnt so common.
Well, yea, I probably do! Is that a bad thing?

Quote:
Nope, in most cases, it's only when you see others doing it, will you try doing it yourself. What celebs do, can have a very great influence on the people that admire them.

Everything from dressing style to hair styles, it's all there. What do you think "Dhoom" sytle racing is? It's nothing but a bunch of guys trying to do something they're not experienced enuf to do.
well, that is true, but what are you gonna do? Stop making movies or only make movies that show zero action? I mean, obviously the majority of the public is smart enough to know that what is shown on the screen is not what should or can be done in reality. If this wasn't the case, the world would be a mess (well, bigger mess ).

BTW, its not just TV and movies anymore. How many children hung themselves after the Kolkata case? So what next, stop watching the news? Or censor it so that only the nice stuff gets across!
Old 27th January 2005, 14:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Well guys,

I think Narian K is RESPONSIBLE DRIVER !! just because he drives rashly in the ad doesnt mean he is a bad driver !!

coming back to it - yeah with Narian being the guy lotsa drivers look upto ,he goofed up big time with the ad. Being a celebrity isnt easy !!

but still its an ad and yeah there will be people who will go out and try it - all the best to them and may GOD be with them !!

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks