Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2008, 11:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

“Superman” camera sees through clothes

A British company has developed a camera that can detect weapons, drugs or explosives hidden under people’s clothes from up to 25 meters away in what could be a breakthrough for the security industry. The T5000 camera, created by a company called ThruVision, uses what it calls “passive imaging technology” to identify objects by the natural electromagnetic rays — known as Terahertz or T-rays — that they emit. The high-powered camera can detect hidden objects from up to 80 feet away and is effective even when people are moving. It does not reveal physical body details and the screening is harmless, the company says. The technology, which has military and civilian applications and could be used in crowded airports, shopping malls or sporting events, will be unveiled at a scientific development exhibition sponsored by Britain’s Home Office on March 12-13.
“Acts of terrorism have shaken the world in recent years and security precautions have been tightened globally,” said Clive Beattie, the chief executive of ThruVision. “The ability to see both metallic and non-metallic items on people out to 25 meters is certainly a key capability that will enhance any comprehensive security system.” The technology works on the basis that all people and objects emit low levels of electromagnetic radiation. Terahertz rays lie somewhere between infrared and microwaves on the electromagnetic spectrum and travel through clouds and walls. Depending on the material, the signature of the wave is different, so that explosives can be distinguished from a block of clay and cocaine is different from a bag of flour.

Source: Britain makes camera that sees under clothes | Technology | Reuters

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 11th March 2008 at 11:39.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:41   #2
BHPian

so other james bond gadgets not a distant dream i suppose .

personally, waiting for the fully loaded aston martin.
Old 11th March 2008, 12:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

It does not reveal physical body details ....
No use for me, in that case
Old 11th March 2008, 13:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
No use for me, in that case
20 20!!!!not even me!!! and think how much will it cost
Old 11th March 2008, 13:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

I remember looking at an internet add some time back which said chipping some model of sony handycam allowed partial view of body parts through the garment. This was a chip manufacturing company who claimed that use of this would help one choose ideal partners without having to strip eachother down to see whats the real thing in there!!! LOL!!!

Beware fakers...
Old 11th March 2008, 21:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I remember looking at an internet add some time back which said chipping some model of sony handycam allowed partial view of body parts through the garment. This was a chip manufacturing company who claimed that use of this would help one choose ideal partners without having to strip eachother down to see whats the real thing in there!!! LOL!!!
Actually it wasnt a chip, it was a lens filter.
CCDs in handycams pick up infrared light, and this particular (now discontinued) sony model was good at it for whatever reason (maybe the lack of a coating on the ccd etc?), and the filter (in theory) only allowed IR light to pass through. That IR light also penetrated clothing to an extent, and hence that is what you would get as your image on the handycam.

cya
R
Old 12th March 2008, 10:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

I noticed that with Fuji S9000 as well, so this might be generic to a broad range of digicams.

If you view your laptop from camers's eyefinder, you can see IR port blinking. On think pads IR port is at front, close to left edge.
Old 15th March 2008, 22:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

Beware fakers...
Yep! heard a lot about it! thought it was just a rumour! Guess not! how come it didn't become too famous??
Old 16th March 2008, 00:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Years ago Toshiba released some sort of mobile phone that did a very good job of seeing through clothes. Once it became known the camera on the phone did this they changed the model.

Most Viewed