Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 07:40   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

^^ They allow logins through the "Plan My Travel" option ; quick book is disabled from 0800-0900hrs.

It makes no difference ; the Site does not work between 0800-0900hrs because of overloading.

Agreed ; the Site works real real fast in the night especially after 0100hrs
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:34   #272
BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Friends,

I have lost my password for the IRCTC login and also the security answer, hence unable to reset the existing password.

Unable to create a new ID, since it says my mobile num is already registered.

Registered using my wife's mobile num, I didn't get the mobile confirmation message.

Please help
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:03   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Friends,

I have lost my password for the IRCTC login and also the security answer, hence unable to reset the existing password.

Unable to create a new ID, since it says my mobile num is already registered.

Registered using my wife's mobile num, I didn't get the mobile confirmation message.

Please help
Email them at care@irctc.co.in , from your registered e-mail id or, call them up at their customer service center number 011-39340000. They'll help you with it. My dad was in the same predicament as yours, he got his account re-activated after a phone call.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 11:43   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Email them at care@irctc.co.in , from your registered e-mail id or, call them up at their customer service center number 011-39340000. They'll help you with it. My dad was in the same predicament as yours, he got his account re-activated after a phone call.
Thank You Silversteed, will do as mentioned by you.

Regards,
Rajesh
Old 21st September 2011, 07:48   #275
Senior - BHPian

They caught a bunch of guys playing around with the system. Wonder how many of them are still at large.

Techie arrested in railway e-ticket fraud - The Times of India
Old 21st September 2011, 10:44   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
They caught a bunch of guys playing around with the system. Wonder how many of them are still at large.

Techie arrested in railway e-ticket fraud - The Times of India
This Softvalley thingy was brought to light a year ago, by Star News (I think). It was an open secret then. And no, they do not hack into the system as ToI says (clear case of half-baked reporting), but they simply automate the process of searching for the train, entering credentials, making payment, etc., in place of entering everything manually - the way we do it. That news item also alleged that such a weak security setup was not upgraded because some officials also were hand in glove with these software vendors. Cannot get the link to the video clip, but i'm sure it's there in Youtube
Old 21st September 2011, 20:29   #277
BANNED

I cannot figure out how this is "hacking". OPening a form, filling it up an dsubmitting it at 08:00:00:01 is an offence, but how??

IMHO, a bigger offence is putting IRCTC on a narrow pipe while giving a fat pipe to online ticket booking sites which access the same database.
Old 21st September 2011, 21:01   #278
BANNED

So is the arrest of this Techie on flimsy legal grounds? What exactly are the charges pressed against him? Are they violating his freedom in some way?

It is generally worrying. I am curious.

--Ragul
Old 21st September 2011, 22:13   #279
BHPian

Opened that article on TOI, read first two lines and I was ROFL. They claim the software guy DEVELOPED PIRATED software . TOI don't even know what are they writing.
Old 27th September 2011, 09:25   #280
BHPian

VRM Facility - New addition to irctc, I don't know if this has been noticed before.

https://www.irctc.co.in/VRM.htm

They can keep it simple by also including the received SMS as one of the options.
Old 27th September 2011, 10:02   #281
Senior - BHPian

Exactly my thought - why not just allow the SMS ? One problem with this is, their current SMS format is crap. They have the PNR number and cost, but no details of train# or coach# or berth#. Instead they add marketing spiel crap like, "Raju won a walking-stick, why don't you also try?"

After noticing the VRM option, I tried taking a snap of the ticket on my phone, but it is not easy to read the details on the small screen of a phone. So, I am sticking to paper for now. Since I travel frequently, what I do is take snap-shot of just the ticket and paste it on a doc where 3 fit on a page. On the next page, I paste the return tickets of these 3 and do a 2-side print. So, on 1 sheet of paper, I have 6 tickets - the best I can do to save paper.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 10:59   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Exactly my thought - why not just allow the SMS ? One problem with this is, their current SMS format is crap. They have the PNR number and cost, but no details of train# or coach# or berth#. Instead they add marketing spiel crap like, "Raju won a walking-stick, why don't you also try?"
Exactly my thoughts!

Quote:
...it is not easy to read the details on the small screen of a phone.
But we can definitely show them the webpage showing the ticket details, can't we? Not to difficult if we have a good browser installed, that can comfortably render HTML pages without any alignment tweaks.

Quote:
Since I travel frequently, what I do is take snap-shot of just the ticket and paste it on a doc where 3 fit on a page. On the next page, I paste the return tickets of these 3 and do a 2-side print. So, on 1 sheet of paper, I have 6 tickets - the best I can do to save paper.
Great to hear that. What I used to do was, fit the two pages (of one ticket) on one sheet by reducing the zoom in printer settings, and print both the tickets on one sheet, one on either side.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:41   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Exactly my thoughts!

But we can definitely show them the webpage showing the ticket details, can't we? Not to difficult if we have a good browser installed, that can comfortably render HTML pages without any alignment tweaks.

Great to hear that. What I used to do was, fit the two pages (of one ticket) on one sheet by reducing the zoom in printer settings, and print both the tickets on one sheet, one on either side.
Once I traveled from my native to Chennai. I carried the hard copy of eTicket. I don't know why, but I carried the ticket details alone(Upper part of the ticket, with all the reservation details).
TTR refused to accept the reservation as I was not carrying the full page, with instructions... It 30mins to convince him to continue my journey.
Old 27th September 2011, 20:02   #284
Senior - BHPian

@ndinesh, happened to me too once, as I never print the instructions. I told him that I know the instructions by heart and he being a TTE should be knowing the same. So what was the need for the same ?

These guys can be so dumb. As per Railway rules, it is the ID-proof that carries more value than the e-ticket. You need to pay just Rs50 if you dont have the ticket, but not having the ID means you can be charged for ticketless travelling, which can lead to a much costlier penalty.
Old 30th September 2011, 21:43   #285
Senior - BHPian

I wonder these days, why IRCTC is dead slow at any time of the day. It used to be slow mostly during tatkal booking time, from 8 am to 8:30 am approximately, but now its getting worse every day and i can't book a ticket even at 10:30 pm or 11 pm which is non peak hours.

Any idea, Whats happening to make it worse?

Until the Indian Railways opens their own website to book tickets, we still have to use IRCTC. No idea, when the new site will be operational.... !

-Ravi

Most Viewed